Thread: 2009 RT ignition switched +12 volt source

2009 RT ignition switched +12 volt source

Just got a nice 2009 RT and hooking up some Running/brake Hyperlites. Need to locate a ignition switched +12 volt source. Any suggestions before I start removing all those plastic fairing parts. Everything I tried under seat is always on or never on.

Welcome Tony

Here was a previous thread, have used this method of tapping the diagnostic connector on several Hexheads with zero issues. Some use the rear powerlet outlet, though it has a delay before it shuts down. Used it once, but got tired of folks telling me my lights were still on when parking.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....d-rear-of-07RT
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    The diagnostic connector tap is the way to go for the rear in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybarcia View Post
    Just got a nice 2009 RT and hooking up some Running/brake Hyperlites. Need to locate a ignition switched +12 volt source. Any suggestions before I start removing all those plastic fairing parts. Everything I tried under seat is always on or never on.
    You might want to look into getting a accessory fuse box. Especially if you are thinking about getting aux lighting or other farkles that might disturb the canbus system. You can connect this fuse box directly to the battery. It comes with both switched terminals and unswitched terminals. I put two receptacles on my right side of my bike. One up front on the right side which is switched and one on the back right side that is unswitched. I have also added aux lights that are powered off this fuse box. I put the additional receptacles so I could run my Gerbing heated gear without pulling the Canbus system down.

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    You might want to look into getting a accessory fuse box. Especially if you are thinking about getting aux lighting or other farkles that might disturb the canbus system. You can connect this fuse box directly to the battery. It comes with both switched terminals and unswitched terminals. I put two receptacles on my right side of my bike. One up front on the right side which is switched and one on the back right side that is unswitched. I have also added aux lights that are powered off this fuse box. I put the additional receptacles so I could run my Gerbing heated gear without pulling the Canbus system down.

Bernie
    +Bernie. If i may suggest, PDM60 by Rowe Electronics.
    http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
    With the PDM60 installed, adding or removing aftermarket electrical devices\electronics is a breeze. It eliminates the need to check or replace fuses. It eliminates the need to install relays to power higher amperage applications like driving lights, heated clothing, Stebel horns, etc. It completely eliminates any potential for current draw related problems commonly associated with CanBus style electrical systems.

Quote Originally Posted by temesvar View Post
    +Bernie. If i may suggest, PDM60 by Rowe Electronics.
    http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
    With the PDM60 installed, adding or removing aftermarket electrical devices\electronics is a breeze. It eliminates the need to check or replace fuses. It eliminates the need to install relays to power higher amperage applications like driving lights, heated clothing, Stebel horns, etc. It completely eliminates any potential for current draw related problems commonly associated with CanBus style electrical systems.
    I wish I would have known about this before I got my fusebox. When this come to the market?

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I wish I would have known about this before I got my fusebox. When this come to the market?
    That i don't know, but must be a few years now. The idea was to replace the OEM fusebox with two PDM60's came from a Triumph
    rider whom has made the mod. Now that is two, since the PDM has only 6 outlets. I don't think will ever get to that, but would like to
    have the lights run thru this module. Can program the lights to come on AFTER the engine has started. I believe that should increase
    the life of HID lights, as well as having less stress on the battery. And, being waterproof, you can mount them just about anywhere.
    Last edited by temesvar; 02-15-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks for the great ideas. I found a nice solution that adds a touch of convenience also. The hot lead on the rear power outlet is activated by the ignition and remains on for approximately one minute after the ignition is turned of. So my hyperlights act as courtesy lights when finished riding. Reminds my of my LT a little.

See my post about the Neutrino distribution box.
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....=1#post1034155
    Last edited by 2wheeledfaith; 02-23-2016 at 06:00 AM.
    Bruce
    Surf City, SoCal
    2013 R1200 GSA 90th Anniv.
    "Aim at nothing and you hit it every time."