• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 RT ignition switched +12 volt source

tonybarcia

Just got a nice 2009 RT and hooking up some Running/brake Hyperlites. Need to locate a ignition switched +12 volt source. Any suggestions before I start removing all those plastic fairing parts. Everything I tried under seat is always on or never on.

Just got a nice 2009 RT and hooking up some Running/brake Hyperlites. Need to locate a ignition switched +12 volt source. Any suggestions before I start removing all those plastic fairing parts. Everything I tried under seat is always on or never on.

You might want to look into getting a accessory fuse box. Especially if you are thinking about getting aux lighting or other farkles that might disturb the canbus system. You can connect this fuse box directly to the battery. It comes with both switched terminals and unswitched terminals. I put two receptacles on my right side of my bike. One up front on the right side which is switched and one on the back right side that is unswitched. I have also added aux lights that are powered off this fuse box. I put the additional receptacles so I could run my Gerbing heated gear without pulling the Canbus system down.

Bernie

You might want to look into getting a accessory fuse box. Especially if you are thinking about getting aux lighting or other farkles that might disturb the canbus system. You can connect this fuse box directly to the battery. It comes with both switched terminals and unswitched terminals. I put two receptacles on my right side of my bike. One up front on the right side which is switched and one on the back right side that is unswitched. I have also added aux lights that are powered off this fuse box. I put the additional receptacles so I could run my Gerbing heated gear without pulling the Canbus system down.

Bernie

+Bernie. If i may suggest, PDM60 by Rowe Electronics.
http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
With the PDM60 installed, adding or removing aftermarket electrical devices\electronics is a breeze. It eliminates the need to check or replace fuses. It eliminates the need to install relays to power higher amperage applications like driving lights, heated clothing, Stebel horns, etc. It completely eliminates any potential for current draw related problems commonly associated with CanBus style electrical systems.

+Bernie. If i may suggest, PDM60 by Rowe Electronics.
http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
With the PDM60 installed, adding or removing aftermarket electrical devices\electronics is a breeze. It eliminates the need to check or replace fuses. It eliminates the need to install relays to power higher amperage applications like driving lights, heated clothing, Stebel horns, etc. It completely eliminates any potential for current draw related problems commonly associated with CanBus style electrical systems.

I wish I would have known about this before I got my fusebox. When this come to the market?

I wish I would have known about this before I got my fusebox. When this come to the market?

That i don't know, but must be a few years now. The idea was to replace the OEM fusebox with two PDM60's came from a Triumph
rider whom has made the mod. Now that is two, since the PDM has only 6 outlets. I don't think will ever get to that, but would like to
have the lights run thru this module. Can program the lights to come on AFTER the engine has started. I believe that should increase
the life of HID lights, as well as having less stress on the battery. And, being waterproof, you can mount them just about anywhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great ideas. I found a nice solution that adds a touch of convenience also. The hot lead on the rear power outlet is activated by the ignition and remains on for approximately one minute after the ignition is turned of. So my hyperlights act as courtesy lights when finished riding. Reminds my of my LT a little.

Back