• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 1200RT brake fluid color

roncooper

A friend just bought a used 15 RTW. I note that the front brake fluid in the sight glass is a dark green color. Is this normal?

A friend just bought a used 15 RTW. I note that the front brake fluid in the sight glass is a dark green color. Is this normal?

I have never seen dark green brake fluid. It is usually a very pale yellow or nearly clear. I also don't know what might cause clear brake fluid to discolor to a dark green.

So, unless somebody can identify an available brake fluid that is dark green out of the bottle I would be inclined to replace the fluid. Maybe somebody knows what the factory is installing now. I would think a '15 model may have original fluid.

The brake fluid was changed at 6000 miles. What color is the mineral oil that is used in the clutch? I hope clutch fluid wasn't put in brakes.

On questions like this I always like to know how the suspect fluid looked in a glass jar. I have found vehicle containers really have an effect on perceived color.
OM

2015 RTW Brake Fluid Color

Here is a photo of the window on the front brake reservoir on my 2015 RT. Production date was 2/24/2015 and it has 4900 miles on the ODO. First change coming up at 6K miles:

IMG_2369.jpg

Which side of the bike has the master cylinder with dark green fluid? Left or right? Clutch or brake? Just curious.

Isn't there a high spec Ate brake fluid that's blue in color? Could blue have been added to yellow to get green? (I know, this is really a stretch).

Isn't there a high spec Ate brake fluid that's blue in color? Could blue have been added to yellow to get green? (I know, this is really a stretch).
Yes ATE Super Blue...although I believe it has been discontinued. Some places such as FL don't allow "colored" brake fluid.

(Aug. 2013: Effective immediately, we will be discontinuing the sale of the ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 (ATE long part number 03.9901-6302.2 or short number 706302) brake fluid in the United States because it has determined that the brake fluid does not comply with the applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for brake fluid. The federal standard requires motor vehicle brake fluid to be colorless or amber in color.)

If it cannot be absolutely positively confirmed that the "green stuff" really is brake fluid - or even the Right Type of brake fluid - I'd be concerned about possible damage to the seals or hoses.

When you do the full bleed, save some of the old stuff in a jar - drop in a small piece of scrap painted metal, and if the paint comes off, it's probably brake fluid. If it doesn't, the question stands...

Back