Thread: Vario panniers

Vario panniers

I'm thinking of purchasing a set of vario panniers for my 2014 r1200gs. Does anyone have a review or comment as to their quality, durability and useability?
    Thanks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I have the black plastic Vario cases (3) on my F800GS and really like them. I like using OEM cases on a bike- just looks better to me. All keyed alike is a plus as well.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I had the full complement of the three Vario cases on my 2013 R1200GSW. They were of very high quality, but very heavy. I liked the expansion features, but the mechanisms that make that possible are complex and might be prone to failure with extended usage.

The side-opening lids allow your stuff to spill out if you're not careful.

I agree that they look the best on the GS. I am a fan of keeping OEM stuff on my bikes.

With all that being said. I went with Touratech Zega Pro panniers on my 2015 GS. They are much lighter, are top-loading, and can serve as a seat when camping. Quality stuff, but more money than the BMW Varios and there's one more key to keep track of for the locks.
    -Drew

2015 R1200GS

I have them on my 2015 R1200GS. I prefer side-opening cases. The clear opening to my mudroom, where the bike is garaged, is 40 inches, (42" door) one reason I didn't go with wider metal cases. I use bigger duffle bags to compensate for the smaller right case. The mirrors on my GS are wider apart than on my old RT, so I can use longer duffle bags and still use the mirrors.

Harry

Thanks all for the input