• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Daytona-Place to Stay-Bike Week-2016

72r60/7

Do the BMW boys have a place that they stay and that you can ride in and always have a tent spot ? Used to be. Its been many years since I've been to Bike Week and now that I am retired, Uncle Sam said that he would pay my way. I may pop down for a few days and always wanted to go without using the Interstate System. Did it once in 13-15 hrs. from where I live and this time I'd like to take 3 days.

Charlie

We (B-Cubed) used to have a deal at the Holiday Travel Park. Club kind of fell apart and the Florida Airheads started taking over. You may want to check with them.

We (B-Cubed) used to have a deal at the Holiday Travel Park. Club kind of fell apart and the Florida Airheads started taking over. You may want to check with them.

If ya want to see a classic example of how the MOA could help chartered clubs, this is a prime example.

I miss the Spacecoasters event at Bulow!

And... this reminds me, I need to get back to my top secret Bikeweek camping spot!

IMG_0658-XL.jpg

Check your private messages!

I see you're in Virginia and enjoy back roads, so when you ride down you might enjoy an article I wrote for the ON years ago called "The Back Way to Bikeweek"... it's also on our Forum.

Also, I sent you a PM with some information about an excellent campsite not far from the track that no one knows about. No, it's not my top secret spot.... in your dreams! :ha

Enjoy!

Ian

Daytona

Thanks Visian. I haven't looked at the PM yet, but, I certainly will read your article. And the private message.
By the looks of the photo, "I didn't think such a place existed". Last time I went I stayed at the Bulow Campground too.

Saw the Prettiest R90s I ever saw there. (Out of Pennsylvania). Chrome fluted rear axle, chrome acorn rear end/drive shaft mounting bolts, paint in very good condition for 300,000 miles and just a few other subtle details to remember. Had a very nice chat w/ the proud owner.
This was in contrast to a most lengthy domestic squabble, in a too near tent, when the misplaced significant other?/girlfriend? of a /2 rider returned at 3 am. (from the Harley Bar). When I got up, I was confronted with 1/2 the campground facing me to see if it was me. Had to shake my head and point in the direction that I thought the noise had come from.

Yeah I'm ready to go back for a couple of days. (Minimum or maximum).

Still welcome suggestions.

Charlie

Holiday Travel Park on Old Dixie Hwy is where most Beemer riders hang. Kind of noisy though. I-95 nearby.

Did you make it down?

Do the BMW boys have a place that they stay and that you can ride in and always have a tent spot ? Used to be. Its been many years since I've been to Bike Week and now that I am retired, Uncle Sam said that he would pay my way. I may pop down for a few days and always wanted to go without using the Interstate System. Did it once in 13-15 hrs. from where I live and this time I'd like to take 3 days.

Charlie

Charlie,

Did you make it to Daytona? I live about ten minutes from the track if you need a place to take a hot shower.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Didn't see the tip on the Holiday travel park or the generous offer of a hot shower till now, as I guess after I hit the road, I just sat back and watched.

Yes I did make it to Daytona for a few days.

Opted for a $75 motel room in St Augustine for comfort and comfort while not being able to sleep for the last few years. Sleepless nights in a tent has not ever been my cup of tea. Not too far but it was a little far from Daytona, but rather nice as the traffic was not too bad and in off hrs there were no crowds in the eateries. Had a good local beer and a BBQ on a patio in an old part of St Augustine and had the patio to myself. It was off hrs. Leroys down on Rt 1 was a good breakfast place. Real hustling waitresses.

Got to see a lot of bike stuff, and I missed a lot more. 95% was the same 'ol. But they looked like they were enjoying themselves, and the weather, as much as I was. It was a fair scouting trip and just need to learn a lot more about what, when, and where. I did go to the flat track racing which was hard to get tickets for in the old days. In what was some sort of a Vintage Class, a guy on a Sportster, with funny bars for a flat track, high sided and landed standing up facing the bike. That never happened to me.

I took 3 days from Central Va to get to North Florida, as I veered over to central Georgia in search of a place called "Fresh Air BBQ". A very nice early morning was spent riding out to a State Park in GA in the Okefenokee Swamp looking for alligators. Didn't see any, probably due to lack of patience, but did see a Gobbler with his fan open. Both good reasons to go back. Rode home in a day. Didn't think I still had it. I don't use windshields, but could have used one that day.

It felt good to get on the road for a few days. Thanks again for responding.
Charlie

Back