• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1978 R100RS Rear Fender

QUICKDRAW

I need to do some paint work on the rear fender of my R100RS.
Is it possible to remove the rear fender without removing the rear wheel ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Gary I'm aware that might be the best way however this new to me R100RS has a 120/90 rear tire and from what I've read can be a bear to remove. With the bike on the centerstand my thought was to raise the rear wheel, disconnect the fender, drop it down onto the tire then rotate the tire backwards to remove the fender from the bike. Just looking for confirmation that this would work or not. :dunno

just deflate the tire first!

Also:

- tie the center stand to the front wheel so the stand won't collapse
- put thin pieces of cardboard on either side of the tire where it will contact the inside wheel center (you probably have the rear disk?) and a piece on where it will contact the left side swingarm. This helps as you wriggle the tire out the back.

78 rear fender removal

Not a lot of room there. Might be able to do it...........if you have hands about the size of an average 5 year old. Otherwise just listen to what people are telling you. Deflate the tire, tie up the center stand so the bike won't fall forward, and take your time. It's not rocket science.

Friedle

four bolts to remove leave the wheel on

The hardest part is getting your hand and wrench up between the tire and fender to get the bolts loose and then to reinstall them, just unplug the tail light harness and remove that later. It can be done as I have done it a whole bunch of times. One trick is to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a deep well 10mm socket to get at the underside of the fender to hold the bolts and them same for the top side to loosen the nuts. The fender comes out fairly easy after that. If your painting it or doing touch up it would be wiser to remove the rear wheel to reduce the damage potential.

Back