• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 r1200r

JT_R1200S

Boxer Fan
Well I decided after six months of debating and looking, to replace my 09RT with a 2015 R1200R

Selling points for me on the 2015 R1200R:

Dynamic ESA, I find this works really well
Electronic shift assist (guaranteed to get you speeding tickets)
Standard front forks, I just like this look and feel
Overall Ergonomics

#1 reason to buy this bike though is the amazing tune on the new water head engine.

They have the engine performance nailed. From idle to any gear you are in it just runs amazing. It's everything I wanted the RT to be, and my RT had a Remus header, Remus exhaust, and a Dobec fuel enricher. I went with the R1200R since I also didn't need the bags and extra weight as I picked up a 2003 Goldwing for long haul trips a couple of years ago. The R1200R is my around town and daily driver bike. I looked at the new Ducati Monster, but the ergonomics just didn't do it for me, I took a 2015 Ducati Multistrada out and on paper it should have wowed me, but it sure didn't feel like it has the HP numbers listed on paper. The R1200R seems like it's got more ponies than the Multistrada, the tune on the engine is just that much better, and I had the Multi in performance mode. I debated on a Diavel but I liked the new BMW roadster style better. BMW nailed this bike for what it is intended for. I know I give up performance against the S1000XR and the S1000R, and I like the concept of the S1000XR but it just felt large to me. The K1600 engine is also an amazing design and I have taken the K1600 GTL out, but t's not quite the style I wanted.

The R1200R is plenty fast and just a joy to ride, and as is typical of the boxer engines (on a closed race track of course) performance fails off significantly after you get into the 130's, but under that just twist the throttle and enjoy. The R1200R gives a performance feel similar to the HP2 Sport but in a cruiser bike. I find the steering response decent, not quick of course like a sport bike where you are over the front wheel, but just a good neutral response and the bike is extremely stable and planted.

Of course this is a biased review of a new owner…

-JT

Last edited:
Congratulations JT! Last summer I traded in an '04 R1150RT and a '95 Honda VFR for a '15 R1200R and have zero regrets. I went into the dealer for crush washers and ended up buying a new bike (my wife is a saint). At the time I lusted after the RnineT, but the R1200R caught my eye in the showroom as well. After test riding both the ergonomics of the R1200R made it a clear decision for me. I'm at 3000 miles with no issues thus far. Just waiting for spring...

another happy customer

i'm still in break-in period, but i'm also liking my '15 R1200R lots.

and thanks @JT_R1200S, i can now tell my wife that i'll be careful not to push it too hard when over 130:)

Rik

I have a 2015 R1200R as well. My only complaint is that the rear suspension is too stiff.

Now that I think about it I do have one complaint to share about the front forks. I feel the slightest amount of stiction in the forks when pulling out from a complete stop. It doesn't seem to matter how hard or soft I brake when coming to the complete stop, but 9 out of 10 times when I release the clutch in 1st gear I feel the forks releasing a small amount of residual compression while getting underway. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a 2015 R1200R as well. My only complaint is that the rear suspension is too stiff.

FWIW I had the same problem with my RS when it was new. Do you have ESA? I do. Over a month or so / 1 to 2 000 miles it clearly changed to less harsh. In there there was the first service and there was software update . I can't put my finger on any specific thing but the harshness is much less now gone.

The ESA is clearly some what adaptive. After riding 100 miles on smooth interstate and then hitting Vermont's frost heaved roads the suspension is bouncy/under damps for the first few miles...then tightens that up. nice

PS IMHO the rear ESA shock still is not as good as the front fork. It has poor high speed dampening.

Back