Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Concerns with new wet heads

John Erkan

Concerns with new wet heads

Now that I have accumulated 5800 wonderful miles on my 2014RT, I dropped it off at the dealer for the 6k mile maintenance check. In addition to the normal maintenance check for changing fluids, including break fluid flush, I had them take a look at the gear shift assist device, which is mostly inoperable and complained of a slight wiff of burning oil. after doing the post mortem, they had to order tools to remove the engine to change out a leaking engine to transmission gasket and they have to order a new gear shift assist mechanism. Anyone else seeing these type of failures? they are covered by warranty but I am beginning to wonder. The dealer did not even have the tools on hand to remove the engine...

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I wouldn't be too worried. Seems to have happened at a time when you wouldn't be riding. It's under warranty. As for the "tools" statement, could be just a generic deal.......Meaning, it's easier to say that then say "we don't have the special tool that installs the inverted clip". The fact they had to order a tool for the job indicates that they haven't run into this before.........Meaning, whatever it is, it's not very "common".
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Mine just turned 14k miles and has only had a weeping fork seal early on which was quickly changed. One set of tires 2k miles ago. Zero problems and that bike is not babied.

I've had a few issues in my first 14k. Nothing to have me give up the bike.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

It is aways thrilling when the dealership says we need to order new tools to remove the motor. I would say "You got to be shi##ing me.".
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm curious about the "leaking engine to transmission gasket" on a Wethead, since it's all in the same case. Maybe something got confused in translation from mechanic>service desk>customer, but I'd be interested in knowing which parts actually get replaced.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    Well, I am not happy either!

Mine keeps burning tires and gasoline.......

My 15 RT has been great, no issues other than broken tabs on front fairing(poor design, bmw is aware of this problem)
    First BMW I haven't had to rebuild the seat👍👍

I have a "wallowing" or "oscillating" issue with mine. So far the dealer has checked the tires and air pressure, alignment, replaced the leaking rear shock, and recently found a load leveling sensor unplugged (this was found during a software update), but the issue is still there. Now the service mgr is telling me it is the driveshaft, he implied I'm not use to riding a bike with a driveshaft, I told him this is my 5th BMW plus I've had an Honda ST1100 and a Shadow plus an FJR, he says Oh! I'll try another dealer, probably won't get treated as if I bought it there, and see if they have any ideas.
    2015 R1200RT Ebony

Best bike I have ever owned! Just shy of 14k miles and have only had regular maintenance (600,6000,12,000) and a new set of tires. And I ride this pretty hard. Even ride gravel and once off road in newly rained on mud and gravel but I stood on the pegs then. lol
    2014 R1200RT

20,000 commuter miles on mine-just a weeping front brake reservoir cover...
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post
    Yep had the same issue, dealer replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post

Same here as well. It's at the dealer now for a valve check and they said they are replacing the rubber diaphragm on the reservoir.
    16 R1200RS, 93 R100R, 17 Versys x300, 16 Africa Twin DCT, 15 Road King, 16 V7 Stone No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

My only concern was that my wife would fly off the back end. I bought her a back rest.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Yep had the same issue, dealer replaced it.

My 2014 has had it replaced twice, but seems to have stopped.

I have 32K on it and the Great Recall hit four days after I bought it, so it sat in my garage that whole summer.