• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Concerns with new wet heads

erkj79

John Erkan
Now that I have accumulated 5800 wonderful miles on my 2014RT, I dropped it off at the dealer for the 6k mile maintenance check. In addition to the normal maintenance check for changing fluids, including break fluid flush, I had them take a look at the gear shift assist device, which is mostly inoperable and complained of a slight wiff of burning oil. after doing the post mortem, they had to order tools to remove the engine to change out a leaking engine to transmission gasket and they have to order a new gear shift assist mechanism. Anyone else seeing these type of failures? they are covered by warranty but I am beginning to wonder. The dealer did not even have the tools on hand to remove the engine...

I wouldn't be too worried. Seems to have happened at a time when you wouldn't be riding. It's under warranty. As for the "tools" statement, could be just a generic deal.......Meaning, it's easier to say that then say "we don't have the special tool that installs the inverted clip". The fact they had to order a tool for the job indicates that they haven't run into this before.........Meaning, whatever it is, it's not very "common".
OM

Mine just turned 14k miles and has only had a weeping fork seal early on which was quickly changed. One set of tires 2k miles ago. Zero problems and that bike is not babied.

I've had a few issues in my first 14k. Nothing to have me give up the bike.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

It is aways thrilling when the dealership says we need to order new tools to remove the motor. I would say "You got to be shi##ing me.".

I'm curious about the "leaking engine to transmission gasket" on a Wethead, since it's all in the same case. Maybe something got confused in translation from mechanic>service desk>customer, but I'd be interested in knowing which parts actually get replaced.

My 15 RT has been great, no issues other than broken tabs on front fairing(poor design, bmw is aware of this problem)
First BMW I haven't had to rebuild the seatđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I have a "wallowing" or "oscillating" issue with mine. So far the dealer has checked the tires and air pressure, alignment, replaced the leaking rear shock, and recently found a load leveling sensor unplugged (this was found during a software update), but the issue is still there. Now the service mgr is telling me it is the driveshaft, he implied I'm not use to riding a bike with a driveshaft, I told him this is my 5th BMW plus I've had an Honda ST1100 and a Shadow plus an FJR, he says Oh! I'll try another dealer, probably won't get treated as if I bought it there, and see if they have any ideas.

Best bike I have ever owned! Just shy of 14k miles and have only had regular maintenance (600,6000,12,000) and a new set of tires. And I ride this pretty hard. Even ride gravel and once off road in newly rained on mud and gravel but I stood on the pegs then. lol

Just turned 19K on my RT, ride it HARD, no issues... it's the most complete motorcycle I have ever owned.

got the bike back today after a long wait at the dealer. Gear shift assist now works perfect. I love it and all the oil leaks were fixed to perfection. tech stated that previous owner was a tad over zealous with a pressure washer and got it too close to the engine.

Nice that you are all set :thumb Nice that you followed up as well :thumb

It'a amazing how much damage can be done with a pressure washer. It used to be a real problem with 2-stroke dirt bikes.
OM

Back