Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback. K1600 GTL Engine protection bars

Looking for feedback. K1600 GTL Engine protection bars

I am looking for engine protection bars for my 2012 K1600 GTL. I plan to mount highway pegs on the bars. There are several manufacturers offering different configurations. Iím looking for user feedback. How well do the various systems work, how do the ergonomics and positioning compare etc. How satisfied overall.

I'm using BMW bars on my 2012 GTL with Illium works highway pegs. It's never been down so I can't comment on how well the engine bars work. Very happy with the highway pegs in all aspects except looks but they do grow on you. Comfort is wonderful. I'm 6'2" with long torso and shorter legs (30" inseam)

Fwiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have sold quite a few bikes in the line where Ilium bars were added... have never had a customer have any regrets. I've also seen what things look like after a drop or low side, and the Ilium bits hold up better than others, especially Wunderlich.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Ilium bars

I've dropped my 2013 GT twice, once on each side, and the Ilium bars did their job.

Mike Kane

Quote Originally Posted by kanem View Post
    I've dropped my 2013 GT twice, once on each side, and the Ilium bars did their job.

Mike Kane
    This is what I was looking for. Real world experience. I'm glad you posted this as I had ordered the Ilium bars Thursday and was wondering if I should have ordered the Altrider. Now, I can move on to other things. Thank you!

I have the BMW factory bars on my GTL. Its been down a number of times, on the left side only, due to my bad leg. The bars have performed very well, but the bike has a tendency to go 'all the way over' past 90 degrees. I have the Illium folding highway pegs mounted to them, and they have performed amiably, even taking the fall0-overs with no problems.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

I'm still on the fence post about protection bars in general. From the research I have been doing, it seems to me that in order for protection bars to be totally effective in a -0- mph drop, the rear bars are also needed.
    That puts the investment at almost a grand: That's a lot of jing for a just-in-case scenario; they are aesthetically questionable; they don't always totally protect everything anyway, and they add weight to an already heavy motorcycle.
    If you take that $1,000 and spread it out over a period of time towards a lower comprehensive insurance deductible, you'll keep the cash-flow in your favor and let the insurance company deal with the potential repairs.
    ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    I'm still on the fence post about protection bars in general. From the research I have been doing, it seems to me that in order for protection bars to be totally effective in a -0- mph drop, the rear bars are also needed.
    That puts the investment at almost a grand: That's a lot of jing for a just-in-case scenario; they are aesthetically questionable; they don't always totally protect everything anyway, and they add weight to an already heavy motorcycle.
    If you take that $1,000 and spread it out over a period of time towards a lower comprehensive insurance deductible, you'll keep the cash-flow in your favor and let the insurance company deal with the potential repairs.
    Have you checked into the rear bars made by a member of the k1600forum.com They are far cheaper and unobtrusive than the other alternatives.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like Ilium is the way to go.

Washington Crossing, Pa. Along the Delaware River
    Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    I'm using BMW bars on my 2012 GTL with Illium works highway pegs. It's never been down so I can't comment on how well the engine bars work. Very happy with the highway pegs in all aspects except looks but they do grow on you. Comfort is wonderful. I'm 6'2" with long torso and shorter legs (30" inseam)

Fwiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Same set up here. 6' 1" 32" inseam. Find the highway pegs OK just a different place to put your legs. Not completely stretched out.

Iliums in hard cornering?

I thought there were several reports on another forum where the Iliums were grounding on hard cornering. I put the Wunderlich front and rears on and they've paid off in 0 mph tip overs that would have really boogered up a bag. Wife was having a problem with back of her calf / leg contacting the rear bag protectors, but Suburban Machinery machined up a set of peg risers and problem solved, no more contact. Puts her legs in a much more comfortable position so we were winners twice over.
    Motorcycle Adventure Addict, Former Action Guy, Devil Dog, Motor Officer, Firefighter, Paramedic. Motorcycled to the Arctic Ocean North of Prudhoe Bay. Stood on the Arctic ice. Said, "Been there, done that." Turned around and drove straight to Key West, Southernmost Point in the US. 13,500m 30days

Altrider

I installed Altrider bars on the front and Webike bars (from Japan) on the rear. The Altrider bars were not a perfect fit and required some modifications, so I wasn't that impressed with them from an installation perspective. As crash bars they will be great.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    1970 PLymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback, 340 Formula S
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda convertible, 6.1 L Hemi
    2015 K1600GTL, Magnesium Beige
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the Altrider's on mine. I have dropped twice with them, once on each side. both times I did not have the panniers on and both were zero speed. I can attest that the bike WILL rotate all the way over the bars and hit the fairing!! I think that if the panniers were in place or I also had rear bars like the ones C4 on the K1600 Forum makes, she wouldn't have rotated over the bars. Otherwise, I think the Altriders are very well made and prevented any engine damage and saved the fog lights. The bars also show no signs of bending. The only damage to the bars is slight scuffing, which Altrider tells me I could probably mostly remove with a green scothbrite pad or blasting with glass bead. They don't look bad enough for me to worry about. Some have complained that the Altriders can drag in cornering. Not with me riding!! And I do occasionally drag a footpeg. Hope this helps.
    2013 GTL, Dark Graphite Metallic. 5/31/13 Build Date.
    K16Synthetics.com
    Follow me on Facebook

I ordered my bike in Feb. of 2013 There wasn't much out there for aftermarket bars at the time, so I went for the BMW bars.
    I didn't thing the bars would be much use in a 0 mph drop but I wanted something to hang some hwy. pegs on.
    I tried the Illium hwy peg but they didn't change my knee angle. I got Kuryakyn long horn pegs and modified them to work.
    I've dropped the bike twice. Once with bags and once without. The hwy peg fold up against the engine but no damage so far.
    All I can say is the first time I dropped it I'm glad no one was around. Words came out of my mouth that I hadn't heard in years.
    The second time a guy stopped me from throwing it over on its other side.
    Enjoying life in the beautiful state of Jefferson
    2013 K1600GTL : 2004 VTX1800c : 2007 K1200GT with Hannigen sidecar

wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    Have sold quite a few bikes in the line where Ilium bars were added... have never had a customer have any regrets. I've also seen what things look like after a drop or low side, and the Ilium bits hold up better than others, especially Wunderlich.
    Sorry, I love the looks of the W bars; I had them on the destroyed '12; dropped it once; mechanic installed new bolts and good to go. Just dropped the '16 in parking lot at almost 0mph and this time not so lucky.

"They did their job", I was told, but the lower bracket that has the business mounting bolts folded to 2mm from the engine. W and dealer aren't too keen yet on replacing what I consider a failure in the part.

May have to look at Illium for a replacement.
    -pp Long Distance Motorcycle Adventurer
    '00 GS w/ >180K miles/sold; '07 RT 160K miles/sold; '12 K1600 GT 20k miles/totaled;
    '16 K1600 GT 50k miles; '16 S1000 XR - 7k miles;
    LD blog: www.ppldma.com