Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: F800st

Quote Originally Posted by dlearl476
    >But a bike designed to travel to remote places on roads that may or may not be paved is always appealling.

Make it light, peppy, and give it good range. While you're at it toss in the durability of a Rotax engine and the comfort of a BMW.

Triumph already makes that bike:

You're kidding, right? The Tiger is a great bike, but light it isn't. Then again, neither is my 1150GS. Either way, you can take nearly any bike down any road. Some are just better in certain environments.

dlearl476
    411 lbs (800S) vs 474 lbs (Tiger) isn't enough of a difference for me to volunteer to be a BMW beta tester. YMMV

411 lbs (800S) vs 474 lbs (Tiger) isn't enough of a difference for me to volunteer to be a BMW beta tester. YMMV
    psst... those are the manufacturers listed dry weights. What they weigh on planet Earth is a whole other question.

dlearl476
    >psst... those are the manufacturers listed dry weights.

Granted. And I'm sure BMW is every bit as dishonest about it as Triumph. But Given the Triumph is a much taller bike, it may very well FEEL heavier. But as far as I'm concerned, these two are in pretty much the same weight class. We're not talking a 500 lb sport tourer vs 300 lb dirt bike here.

Question

Ok, I get the F650. Always have.

I've been waiting for a discussion of the F800. Maybe you'all have some revelations on this topic.

Sorry BMW, I don't get the why. What are you doing building a vertical twin based machine? Especially since it's not even a half a K12S! Is it 'cause you can offer another model without using manufacturing capacity for another engine? Maybe it's just because you can. If it's not as cheap as a Triumph why bother.

Puzzled....
    Jim Doyle
    Expert M/C road racer and crew chief, owner G-Baby Racing endurance team
    2013 ASRA/AMA Team Challenge GTL National Champions
    2015 US National Endurance Series LW National Champions

Don't forget your towel
    Did someone say vertical twin?

....oh, for some disposable income....

Steve

dlearl476
    As cool as the T-Scrambler is, I liked this Derbi a lot more. There were a BUNCH of cool Triumph Specials at the Milan show. Soon I'll have the pics up here.

dlearl476

Kind of Ironic

That this is the highest volume thread ever in the F650 forum!

That this is the highest volume thread ever in the F650 forum!

What's the general take on this bike over on F650.com?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by sgborgstrom
    Did someone say vertical twin?

Steve
    Make mine blue, please.

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa

What's the general take on this bike over on F650.com?

Lots of interest. Lots of moaning from the inseam challenged who were hoping for a shorter seat height. (and apparently no "lowered" option)
    Lots of folks, like me, are into mid-displacement bikes (that's why we ride 650s) and although I'm not a real fan of the styling, I think this parallel twin is an exciting addition to the BMW line.
    I do have a feeling we're gonna be left out in the cold on the ST, though. Just like the R850.

Quote Originally Posted by flash412
    Have you ever looked at a Ducati? They even put their oil coolers in front of the filter (in the same location) on some models.

I thought it was very nice of Ducati to put a deflector infront of the cylinder like that..

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Lots of interest. Lots of moaning from the inseam challenged who were hoping for a shorter seat height. (and apparently no "lowered" option)
    Lots of folks, like me, are into mid-displacement bikes (that's why we ride 650s) and although I'm not a real fan of the styling, I think this parallel twin is an exciting addition to the BMW line.
    I do have a feeling we're gonna be left out in the cold on the ST, though. Just like the R850.
    I hope not, That is the bike I see joining my stable in the future.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I must say these two models are EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. I am so excited to see BMW embrace the reality that many riders young and old are looking for smaller, lighter bikes with zippy performance and all day comfort.

The F800S reminds me of my Ducati Monster S2R in terms of weight and performance estimates. BMW seem to have taken all that was good about the CS, put in a proper motor making proper power, and designed it to be attractive a wide variety of riders. Add in a strong line of BMW performance and convenience accessories and the S should be a hot little bike.

The F800ST is PERFECT. Finally BMW have seen the light. How many times have I been tempted by Honda's VFR? How many current BMW owners do I know that also own VFRs? The answer to both questions is Lots and Lots. Thank you BMW for finally answering our prayers. A small, lightweight, sport touring bike with most of the comfort and convenience features of the larger RT. This is it, the perfect middleweight sport touring bike. You have ticked all the boxes.
    Two Cylinders - check
    Under 500 Lbs - check
    Decent Performance - check (85 HP)
    Enviro friendly - check (60MPG, fuel injection, catalyst)
    Center Stand - check
    Belt Drive - check (shaft would have been OK too, just no messy chains)
    Side Cases & Luggage Rack - check
    ABS, Heated Grips, Heated Seat - check, check, and check
    Decent wind protection that still looks sporty and fun - check

The only unknowns are when will it hit our shores and how much? If priced properly, marketed well, and if the dealers will actually stock and sell them the F800 series of bikes should be a hit here in the states. Nothing would kill the F800 series faster than pricing them too far above their real competition or dealers who do not understand or support the new model.

The F800ST looks to be the perfect bike for my needs and wants, I can't wait to demo the bike, and put my deposit down.

Brian Miller
    :: 1978 BMW R100RS
    :: 2005 BMW F650CS
    :: 2005 Ducati Monster S2R
    Last edited by HiFiGuy; 11-25-2005 at 11:40 PM.

dlearl476
    >The F800ST looks to be the perfect bike for my needs and wants, I can't wait to demo the bike, and put my deposit down.

I don't want to seem pessimistic but it's been quite some time since "riders wants and needs" were a part of BMW marketing plans. They're now selling a "lifestyle" and targeting new customers, not returning ones. They want to sell "legendary motorcycles of Germany" image for BMWs, at least here in the US, and I don't think a mid-level touring bike fits in. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the ST is going to be a Euro only model.