• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800st

Oil Filter placement.

Japanese inline fours have typically had their oil filter located there since about 1970.

Total non issue.

The Super Motard version looks cool, and would be a blast on the street. But I am on the same page as Knary, a mid size GS. I would have no problem with a little more weight than a 650 with the extra horses supplied by the 800. You could throw a big tank on it and still be much lighter than a current GS1200.

And of course, the HP version of a GS800 is intoxicating to me. You will see this version winning some serious rallies some day soon, if they build it.

>But a bike designed to travel to remote places on roads that may or may not be paved is always appealling.

55-s.jpg

Make it light, peppy, and give it good range. While you're at it toss in the durability of a Rotax engine and the comfort of a BMW.

Triumph already makes that bike:

TIGER_BLUE.jpg

Boingo said:
Hmmmme want too!

Does anyone else think this is a strange place for the oil filter (see red arrow)? One errant rock and you would be peeing oil over everything.
Actually, I thought their oil cooler design was pretty robust looking. Not your standard radiator.

Attachments

• oil-cooler.jpg
    oil-cooler.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 158
And of course this......the Darrylri "hi-speed money" shot. :laugh

Attachments

• mayhem.jpg
    mayhem.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 196
dlearl476 said:
>But a bike designed to travel to remote places on roads that may or may not be paved is always appealling.

55-s.jpg

Make it light, peppy, and give it good range. While you're at it toss in the durability of a Rotax engine and the comfort of a BMW.

Triumph already makes that bike:

TIGER_BLUE.jpg

:ha :ha

You're kidding, right? The Tiger is a great bike, but light it isn't. Then again, neither is my 1150GS. Either way, you can take nearly any bike down any road. Some are just better in certain environments.

411 lbs (800S) vs 474 lbs (Tiger) isn't enough of a difference for me to volunteer to be a BMW beta tester. YMMV

dlearl476 said:
411 lbs (800S) vs 474 lbs (Tiger) isn't enough of a difference for me to volunteer to be a BMW beta tester. YMMV

psst... those are the manufacturers listed dry weights. What they weigh on planet Earth is a whole other question.

>psst... those are the manufacturers listed dry weights.

Granted. And I'm sure BMW is every bit as dishonest about it as Triumph. But Given the Triumph is a much taller bike, it may very well FEEL heavier. But as far as I'm concerned, these two are in pretty much the same weight class. We're not talking a 500 lb sport tourer vs 300 lb dirt bike here.

Ok, I get the F650. Always have.

I've been waiting for a discussion of the F800. Maybe you'all have some revelations on this topic.

Sorry BMW, I don't get the why. What are you doing building a vertical twin based machine? Especially since it's not even a half a K12S! Is it 'cause you can offer another model without using manufacturing capacity for another engine? Maybe it's just because you can. If it's not as cheap as a Triumph why bother.

Puzzled....

As cool as the T-Scrambler is, I liked this Derbi a lot more. There were a BUNCH of cool Triumph Specials at the Milan show. Soon I'll have the pics up here.

DerbiMilan2005%20001_edited.jpg

Kind of Ironic

That this is the highest volume thread ever in the F650 forum!

Back