• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello from Newport News, VA

rpiereck

R850R rider
Hello, I am Ren, US Army Soldier currently stationed in Newport News, VA. I have wanted to ride motorcycles for the past 12 years but due to my career I could not do it for all that time.

When I arrived in Virginia last year one of my priorities was to get a motorcycle endorsement, and buy my first bike. I took the MSF course, loved those two days of riding a Kawasaki Terminator 250 (such an appropriate name for a trainee bike!), and then set out to buy my first steed. I considered a few different bikes, was looking for an upright, between $2500-3500 price range. I saw a R110RS, a K75RT and a K100RTP, but ended up buying a 1997 R850R, with little less then 40,000 miles. The bike had been well kept and loved by its former owners (I am the third), came with BMW system panniers, Corbin seat, Stebel horn, Dart fairing, loading ramps, maintenance records, Clymer manual, fresh clutch, etc. The former owner said the fuel tank had some scratches when he bought it, and he wanted to have a paintjob that would be scratch resistant, so now the bike is painted bed liner black! It looks unique and is quite striking yet understated with the silver on black motif.

I went for the 850 versus the 1000 for the more upright sitting position (R versus RS), the 850 motor (more newbie-friendly, and less prone to FD failures), as well as that superb Corbin seat.

The bike has now 43,000 miles, I have ridding over 8,000 miles since last July, and I try to make the point to ride the bike in all kinds of weather: rain, night, wind, fog, etc. I figure that's the quickest and best way to become proficient.

I am looking forward to making friends here and perhaps someday meet some MOA members on the road to happiness.

Without further ado, here is Die Schwarze Sau :
IMG_8272.jpg

12401641_880012542113303_3705506115226087331_o.jpg

Happy me:
12647443_898460920268465_7545563652147669034_n.jpg

Last edited:
The bars are a bit high for the cafe fairing, but looks sharp.

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum Ren!
Please excuse any off the wall "snark" that you may run across.
By all accounts, you are in a great part of the country for riding.
Any questions, just ask.
Gary

The bars are a bit high for the cafe fairing, but looks sharp.

Welcome to the forum

Thank you. At the current height I get no buffeting and good protection from the wind. I have also a different screen for the bike (MSR, perhaps?), which I find it's ugly and creates too much buffeting and turbulence. If I buy another bike to use as a daily driver I would like to convert this one to a café racer style, change the rear section and out lower handlebars on the front. As it stands it is very comfortable and unique looking.

Welcome! I commute to Newport News each day from Virginia Beach. Yes, in this area you can ride most every day, providing that you have good tires and good riding gear (jacket, pants, waterproof boots, a few different kinds of gloves, and a full face or modular helmet - a must for cold or rainy weather). Though I ride an RT now, in the past I've commuted on CLC's, R60\6 - still have it.

Welcome Aboard

First - Thank You for your service to our country!!!

I like your bike - different but sharp!

Thanks for being a member

Back