• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Repainting Valve Covers

jsf14469

Looking for advise on prep and painting. Did it a few years- basic cleaning, sanding and high temp paint. Looked good initially, however within a year looked beat again.

I know you are not asking this question, but FWIW, powder coating is worth the expense for the valve covers in terms of durability.

rattle can is your friend

if you can find it, I have had good luck with Krylon BBQ grill paint. It is great for frame touch-up, as well. It has a bit of a matte finish rather than flat. Looks pretty much OEM. If you sand to bare aluminum, a light coat of self etch primer may be in order. I usually just prep with scotch-Brite pad. The key above all else is make sure the surface is clean. Wipe with enamel reducer or similar solvent before you start. Even before you sand, otherwise you force contaminants into the old paint surface. I have been having trouble finding Krylon grill paint lately. I don't really care for Rustoleum.

Another brand of rattle-can automotive trim paint is SEM brand, at auto paint store. It is rather good, as well.

Last edited:
I used a combo spray can made either my Rustoleum or Krylon - Krylon I think. Had primer and color in same can. You do not need hi temp paint as the valve covers do not get that hot. Got satin black. Cleaned the covers, used lacquer thinner to clean, and lightly sanded. Worked perfectly. I then, after they dried, took wet-or-dry and lightly sanded the highlight stripes and voila - perfect.

Have been perfect now for three years!

I used Wurth black engine paint in a rattle can obtained from Re-Psycle BMW. I used Scotch-Brite and elbow grease followed by a rinse with brake cleaner to prep the surface. A couple of coats of paint were applied. I kept the inner face of the valve cover attached to a piece of cardboard, using the existing studs along with a couple of nuts and washers. Once the paint was dry I used fine sandpaper (e.g. 400 to 600 grit) on the outer face of the horizontal fins to get back to bare aluminum. Still looks good over a dozen years later.

Another source for Wurth paint -
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falcon_mercury_comet/engine-compartment-paint-black-wurth.html

Amazon offers lots of other options for black high temp automotive paint - don't know much about most of the items shown -
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ned,200&rh=n:15684181,k:black+high+temp+paint

Powder coating works great. Yeah, I know it's not an airhead, but i suspect the process will work jsut fine. Had these done about 8 or 9 years ago.. still perfect.

If you're lucky, you can find Krylon plaid on sale at Home Depot.

That stuff is a little tricky to use. I have trouble getting the right width on the stripes, usually need to make a couple trial runs to determine how far to depress the nozzle.

if you are really careful you can wipe off the horizontals with lacquer thinner and a rag right after you paint it, rather than letting it dry and sand. If you slip into the paint area, just wipe it clean and re-shoot. If you are pretty good with a rattle can, you can mask and paint the v/c on the bike. However, mask more than you think you need. It is really better to take off the bike.

Somebody mentioned Wurth brand. Also good stuff. You may be able to get it direct from Wurth USA, but I think they have minimum quanity req.

A word or three about powder-coating valve covers. "Power Coat" is essentially vinyl plastic resin applied as a powder, and baked (to melt it onto the substrata).; the temperature required to do this is somewhere around 370F.

Ural (Ukrainian sidecar manufacturer) powder-coated their valve covers. They look great, the problem with them was that the BACK SIDE was not masked during the powder procedure. During operation, hot engine oil basically dissolved/re-melted the coating, which then found its way into the lubrication system.

If you go the powder coat route, have the painter mask the back side.

A word or three about powder-coating valve covers. "Power Coat" is essentially vinyl plastic resin applied as a powder, and baked (to melt it onto the substrata).; the temperature required to do this is somewhere around 370F.

Ural (Ukrainian sidecar manufacturer) powder-coated their valve covers. They look great, the problem with them was that the BACK SIDE was not masked during the powder procedure. During operation, hot engine oil basically dissolved/re-melted the coating, which then found its way into the lubrication system.

If you go the powder coat route, have the painter mask the back side.

Our shop does its own powder coating. In the final product, I have yet to see any benefit over conventional spray painting. The powdercoating process is used by auto manufacturers on standard steel wheels (for example) and frankly, I think the coating doesn't stand up to the elements (snow, salt, water, etc) as did the older painting method.

The reason manufacturers are going to powercoating vs. standard spray painting is because of EPA pressures and regulations. That is why my shop does it now as opposed to spray painting. No EPA to worry about. NOT because it is a superior coating.

Powder-coating has dropped out of my "favored" list. I think you're right, it doesn't hold up a well as it's advertised to, and once scratched, or cut, moisture and salt have a path under it, and it then migrates, unseen, under the coating. It also can't be easily touched up.

I don't think the Ukrainian's are facing the same "EPA-type" standards we are; more likely it's a marketing thing, because PC is currently "in" and perceived as superior to paint.

Just my $.02

Back