• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Check VIN for Campaigns/Recall on BMW Database

ExGMan

I received a postcard today from BMW Motorrad which told me of a "campaign" which was still unresolved on my now-traded R1200RT. The postcard included a URL for checking the entire VIN or the last seven digits to see if a campaign or recall were open. Here is the URL: www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall

Perhaps everyone knows this already, but Forum knowledge may benefit future members.

The BMW URL had a little line of type at the bottom which said that the database was current as of 2/2/2016 aka today. Considering the issues both the motorcycles and cars have had the last couple of years, maybe they're trying to get out ahead of the issues.

Very interesting. I tried mine, entering full VIN didn't work, indicated "VIN is not found." I tried last 7 of the VIN and it worked fine.

Thanks for sharing.

Checked.... Nothing open for my 2012 RT

August this year my dealer replaced both handlebar switches.

Tell me about the fuel strip thingy.

Sorry If I Misled Everyone

The postcard I received from BMW specifically said "Campaigns" and gave the URL I provided.

The postcard I received from BMW specifically said "Campaigns" and gave the URL I provided.

The link takes you to a page that says "Safety Recalls" along with "GET IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL INFORMATION FOR YOUR BMW." Seems it's more (or should be) than just campaigns.

My HP2 enduro comes up for the fuel pump problem. Unfortunately, mine broke in the middle of nowhere (of course) and I had to ride it out of the woods with gas spewing everywhere. This was well before the NHSTA recall.

There was a ton of info available on ADVrider.com and I wound up fixing it with the Beemer Boneyard piece.

When the recall happened, my dealer said that since I fixed it, my bike was no longer covered. Funny, the factory fix is almost identical to that Beemer Boneyard approach.

So I will ask again because I wouldn't mind getting a new fuel pump.

Ian

When the recall happened, my dealer said that since I fixed it, my bike was no longer covered. Funny, the factory fix is almost identical to that Beemer Boneyard approach.

The fuel pump boss on my R showed no cracks, but when the issue arose I fixed it preemptively with a press-on machined collar (like the BB piece without the clamping action) epoxied in place. When the fuel pump recall was announced, I took no action, thinking that BMW would refuse to replace a piece that a) functioned just fine and showed no cracks, and b) had been monkeyed-with by the owner.

Several years later, I took the bike in for the rear drive flange replacement. When I picked it up, I was told that the fuel pump recall was still in effect, and that they'd taken a look and replaced the pump with the newer collared version. The RO showed a recall pump replacement.

So I guess it depends on what dealer you go to, and perhaps how that dealer views its relationship with you.

The fuel pump boss on my R showed no cracks, but when the issue arose I fixed it preemptively with a press-on machined collar (like the BB piece without the clamping action) epoxied in place. When the fuel pump recall was announced, I took no action, thinking that BMW would refuse to replace a piece that a) functioned just fine and showed no cracks, and b) had been monkeyed-with by the owner.

Several years later, I took the bike in for the rear drive flange replacement. When I picked it up, I was told that the fuel pump recall was still in effect, and that they'd taken a look and replaced the pump with the newer collared version. The RO showed a recall pump replacement.

So I guess it depends on what dealer you go to, and perhaps how that dealer views its relationship with you.

Thank. My dealer treats me very right... mine broke and was fixed before the recall and I asked about it very early in the recall. I'm gonna ask again for sure :nod

Ian

We had 5 bikes and three had BBY rings, two of those had severe cracking.Also had the metal QC's on pump bodies.
Not a peep about not covered due to my work. I call BS on the response. I think they even replaced the JB Weld filled assemblies on a members here.

Back