Thread: Emergency medical information on your phone

Emergency medical information on your phone

Most of my touring is by myself and I tend to ride at a brisk pace. I am not as good as I used to be. I have everything in the way of emergency information in various location on my bike and my person. I heard about this on NBC News and thought others here might want to install it on their phone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ice-...412786820?mt=8

Similar apps are available for Android devices.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Yep, I down loaded that to my phone but found it less user friendly than the emergency word/link you touch in the lower left portion of an iPhone after you slide to unlock it. When you touch it, it gives you the option to immediately dial emergency, or to access emergency data you've set up. I also went with Kevin Greenwald's touring tip of dog tags. I modified the information on my army dog tags to include more kenetic information like NKDA (no known drug allergies) and my wife's name, cell number, and address.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    Most of my touring is by myself and I tend to ride at a brisk pace. I am not as good as I used to be. I have everything in the way of emergency information in various location on my bike and my person. I heard about this on NBC News and thought others here might want to install it on their phone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ice-...412786820?mt=8

Similar apps are available for Android devices.
    I understand the utility of this option, but don't assume the wireless transmission or your phone can't be hacked.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

There was a recent thread on how, where, why to carry emergency info. I seem to remember that the first responders on the post indicated they would seldom take the time to hunt for and search a phone for info when they had an unconscious patient on their hands. Something easily seen and read seemed to be a common recommendation.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    There was a recent thread on how, where, why to carry emergency info. I seem to remember that the first responders on the post indicated they would seldom take the time to hunt for and search a phone for info when they had an unconscious patient on their hands. Something easily seen and read seemed to be a common recommendation.

Missed the other thread, but as a first responder, dog tags or bracelet would be one of the first things checked, looking for medical info.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Yep, I down loaded that to my phone but found it less user friendly than the emergency word/link you touch in the lower left portion of an iPhone after you slide to unlock it. When you touch it, it gives you the option to immediately dial emergency, or to access emergency data you've set up.
    Reece,

Would you expand on this a bit? I have an iPhone 4s in my hand, running iOS 9.2.1, and there's no "emergency word/link" on the screen. Maybe it's a functionality that only appears with more recent hardware.

-D
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Try a swipe to allow access to the touch pad so as you can enter your access code. Before you enter the code see the lower left of the screen.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks, OM. The Emergency "button" appears on the Passcode screen.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Try a swipe to allow access to the touch pad so as you can enter your access code. Before you enter the code see the lower left of the screen.
    OM
    Yep, that's what I was talking about...
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Yep, I down loaded that to my phone but found it less user friendly than the emergency word/link you touch in the lower left portion of an iPhone after you slide to unlock it. When you touch it, it gives you the option to immediately dial emergency, or to access emergency data you've set up. I also went with Kevin Greenwald's touring tip of dog tags. I modified the information on my army dog tags to include more kenetic information like NKDA (no known drug allergies) and my wife's name, cell number, and address.
    Glad to see you followed thru, Reece. Just the other day, I trotted over to Walmart and used their "Pet Tag" machine to again create an updated high-quality stainless steel medic-alert tag ($6) to assign my son as 'emergency contact person.'

Since he's commanding a desk for a while (S3 in Admin @ Ft. Carson) rather than a Bradley, he's more likely to take the call if I have a bad day, and would work thru what to do with the crashed bike.

Just because our electronic do-dads offer us ICE options doesn't make them ideal. After more than a quarter century in EMS/Dive Rescue Team/ER Tech, your phone is more likely to be discovered when your riding garments are finally being inventoried long after you've been examined, treated or transferred to surgery.

Like others have echoed, we primarily look for that necklace or bracelet.
    Last edited by greenwald; 02-02-2016 at 07:24 PM.

As a health professional......I am always wearing my RoadID

Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I imagine EMTs will see a difference between on your person and mounted on handlebar as regards your phone.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I imagine EMTs will see a difference between on your person and mounted on handlebar as regards your phone.
    Kent - our concern (as EMT's) would be that after a motorcycle crash, the condition or even location of your bike-mounted phone/tank bag may be a problem.

A bracelet or necklace with a customized medic tag is still bound to be with you, no matter how much you've 'bounded.'

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    OM
    More-
    To make info about yourself available to others in case of emergency, open the health app an tap Medical ID to fill in the details.
    To view, tap Emergency on the lock screen.

You will need to have kept up with the IOS updates so as the health app will be present as an icon. It may not be on your main page so you can try a "swipe" left.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200