• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

steveinVT

Just back from Motodiscovery tour of Cuba. I'll try and get a link here for the YouTube slideshow. Five V-Strom 650's and 2 Softtail Harleys. Not a Beemer to be seen anywhere, not in ten days and 1100 miles. No matter, the Wee is a wolf in sheep's clothing, or at least a barracuda compared to the horse-drawn and pedal traffic we passed. And the Harleys, making loud Harley noises, were definitely the hit of this particular road show. Cuban phones and cameras came out whenever we rolled into a town.

Third-world atmosphere and infrastructure generally, but the old cities have some beautiful colonial buildings. Roads range from awful to pretty good - we often cruised at 70+. And endlessly surprising. The dogs in Cuba never chase you, and nothing happens very fast, including luggage retrieval and changing lanes.

One of our guides was a certified Harlista, an expert in keeping the classic old bikes running. He has friends all over Cuba, and his friends were our friends.

Che is the#1 cultural icon. His image is everywhere, from the sides of large buildings to the t-shirts in the souvenir stalls. I get the feeling the average Cuban, born since the revolution, thinks of Che about as much as the average USA citizen thinks about Tom Paine or George Washington.

Who knows what Cuba will look like in a decade, as it shakes off the boycott. I hope, for the sake of the Cuban people, who welcomed us warmly, it gets better. Just remember, if you do go on a tour to Cuba, the Harleys go in front.
https://youtu.be/WONHCp3gpxU

Last edited:
Back