• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Map Update - Navigator V

exgman

Garmin has a new North America map update today available through Garmin Express software.

Is this only for the NAV V or will it work on NAV IV?

Thanks

Yes it works for all the Garmins except older unit that don't have enough storage. On my Zumo 550 and Nuvi 550 I had to add a storage card to do a map update.
For units with lifetime maps, NAV V and NAV IV, you can update the maps every 3 months.

Navi update

ExGMan - Many thanks for the heads up on the update; hooked to Basecamp yesterday and all was current - today a new map!

Glad to help. Secret was that I saw last night that BMW was putting a new map out for the BMW 4-wheelers, so I went looking at Garmin Express this morning, and there was the update. Nice. Now if the weather would cooperate (I'm in Boston) I could get out on two wheels. 57F forecast for here Monday (2/1). Maybe then?

John, we talked for nearly two hours and you failed to tell me about an update for the NAV V? Oh wait, you couldn't get a word in edgewise as I was rambling and following too many tangents. You got to block out a couple of hours if you want to talk to Reece. He'll talk your your ear off. I'm looking at my NAV V now, it sits cozily by my lazy boy.. I keep it by my side like a soldier keeps his weapon close.

Someday I'll have to get some info from you on the Apple/Garmin deal John. I recently picked up a Montana 650T for the ATV. The place that offers trail maps recommends to not take the download but purchase the "SD" card. If on a PC, in this case, it looks easier. It could be the map supplier :dunno
Gary

Gary - I know a little bit about the Montana, but not a lot. Just as an experiment you could DL "Garmin Express" as a program to your MacBook. Once it's open, plug in your Montana, and see if GE will recognize it. It may immediately tell you that you can't DL maps, but maybe something different. I think the key is internal memory. Perhaps the Montana is only updated with SD cards. I don't know. Perhaps others will. Anyway, just a thought about the possible process.

:thumb
I haven't got a chance to really get into it yet. It is exponentially faster than my 76cs from some years back.
Thanks, Gary

Ha! I discovered my old 76CS hiding in a box. I put in new batteries, then connected it to the MacBook using the Garmin Express program. No surprise really, but GE told me it was "not supported" anymore, or words to that effect. "State of the Art" has a tendency to change over a decade or so...

I think the 76 series had inherently more computer power than any of the Apollo Space Missions.......Not sure if that helps :eek
OM

Someday I'll have to get some info from you on the Apple/Garmin deal John. I recently picked up a Montana 650T for the ATV. The place that offers trail maps recommends to not take the download but purchase the "SD" card. If on a PC, in this case, it looks easier. It could be the map supplier :dunno
Gary
cks

I own a Montana (I use it on my Bonneville) and the NAV 5 for the BMW. I also own a Nuvi 550 with an additional memory card. I update all three by downloading the software w/Garmin Express. CAVEAT: I have to use a different computer for each Garmin, as Garmin's archaic software looks first at the GPS, checks the software for an update, downloads the new map first to the PC, then moves it from the PC to the GPS. Using the same computer to update the second GPS, Garmin Express says their is a map update available, then looks at the PC and says the map is already updated, and it quits the process. I've discussed this issue with Garmin. They acknowledged the problem, but their only solution was to uninstall all GPS software from your PC after updating the first GPS, then reinstalling it all (Garmin Express AND BaseCamp) before updating the next GPS. What a bunch of crap!

cks

I own a Montana (I use it on my Bonneville) and the NAV 5 for the BMW. I also own a Nuvi 550 with an additional memory card. I update all three by downloading the software w/Garmin Express. CAVEAT: I have to use a different computer for each Garmin, as Garmin's archaic software looks first at the GPS, checks the software for an update, downloads the new map first to the PC, then moves it from the PC to the GPS. Using the same computer to update the second GPS, Garmin Express says their is a map update available, then looks at the PC and says the map is already updated, and it quits the process. I've discussed this issue with Garmin. They acknowledged the problem, but their only solution was to uninstall all GPS software from your PC after updating the first GPS, then reinstalling it all (Garmin Express AND BaseCamp) before updating the next GPS. What a bunch of crap!
Interesting, I wonder if things would work if after you did the first install, you hand picked (removed) the cookie from Garmin that was left in the computer. Chances are that is how they are "looking" at each visit to the Garmin site.
From what I have seen, using a PC works a bit easier than using Apple.
Gary

cks

This is odd. I mange two garmin gps units on my Mac and can update them independently no issue. Seems like a bug in the pc software.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Same here, 3 different units, all completely independent.

I have six GPS's and two VIRB cameras using Garmin Express running on a Mac. Once one of the GPS's has downloaded the map update (usually a couple of hours) the other GPS's just source it from the download done by the first (which cuts the update time down considerably).

Need three computers to update

cks

You could also go to VMWare.com and download VMWare player (free) and then sear h for a XP or Win7 appliance. You can run 3 vm's on the same pc. Still a stupid solution but would prevent having the need for three computers..

Ashley

Back