• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting a grip

subconscious

The right hand grip on my R75/6 has lost the ability to stay sticky and not pull off the handle bars. I tried a bit of a glue substance (and let it dry for a few hours, but it did not stay on the bar after about 2 minutes of riding).

Are there some suggestions to fix the old grip?

Are there suggestions for buying new grips?

What is the best way to adhere the grips to the bars?

Thanks.

subconscious said:
The right hand grip on my R75/6 has lost the ability to stay sticky and not pull off the handle bars. I tried a bit of a glue substance (and let it dry for a few hours, but it did not stay on the bar after about 2 minutes of riding).

Are there some suggestions to fix the old grip?

Are there suggestions for buying new grips?

What is the best way to adhere the grips to the bars?

Thanks.

They make specific handgrip glue, but I've always used some heavy household cement to secure grips.

BMW makes a variety of grips for your bike and they're not real expensive.

sticky stuff

In the past I've used hairspray but that was with the Foam Grab-On style grips. Someone once told me to try brake fluid. Why?

MarkF

Brake fluid will melt the grips as well as take off your paint. It is nasty stuff, and I wouldnt do that personally.

Thanks for the input.

I will try some heavier glue to see if that makes a difference. Maybe I just needed to use more last time.

Thanks.

As a former dirt bike rider, we always used a gasket adhesive called Gasgacinch - available at most autoparts stores. It sticks really well and releases with WD40, carb cleaner, etc. when you want to swap grips. 3M Weatherstrip adhesive should work well too.

I used hairspray one time on my mtn bike - never again! It will release if you get it wet in the rain. Visualize zipping down a rainy, gnarley offroad trail, hitting a rock, yanking on the bars to correct your path and staring at an unattached handgrip squished your outstretched hand - not a pretty result. :yow That tree hurt! Now imagine the same situation on the street in the middle of traffic.....

I have used the weatherstrip adhesive mentioned in the prior post to attatch tubular tires on my bicycle. I will attest to its ability to hold well, and it wont release when wet.

the verdict

I just thought I would write a little blurb to summarize the experience.

I purchased a tube of Household Welding (looks and smeels like the old Testos model glue) to attach the grip.

So far - so good.

If it does not work, I will send and update.

Back