• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

outside San Diego

daveredman

Will be making another (2nd) trip to San Diego.

Was there last February and had some good rides out to the east, to the east and slightly south, and to the north east.
Great roads to ride. Have the map from SC BMW Owners Club.

Last year road to and stopped Julian.
What other towns might their be out there in the good roads?
Some place with a dinner or two, doesn't need to be a touristy kinda place, actually prefer it not be a touristy place.

If it were just me, I would be happy with just randomly picking some general area on the map and go. BUt on days that have wife along, will need to have some destination and know when and where might be good little town to stop in and have lunch. And would be good to know of some attraction, something to see or scenic overlook or something.

Palomar Mt & Observatory is a good candidate.

Thanks.
Dave

Yes, to Mount Palomar - nice twisty road to the top. Short walk up to the Observatory and views. Halfway back down I seem to remember a cafe stop with a fair number of bikes parked around... usually a good sign. If you don't want to be passed every two minutes, avoid a weekend or holiday day.

I took Hwy 79 south from Julian to the Japatul Lyons Valley Road and on to Otay Lake Road into San Diego that were very nice with great curves and scenery.

Edit: I think the stop up to M.P. was 'Mother's Kitchen'.

...Japatul.... Lyons Valley Road ..
YEs, this is Japatul (I think). Was great.
SAM_1836_CollageJaputal_w1200_zpshjotdxps.jpg

Was also on Lyons Valley that day. Was having a good ride. Wife was asking about where we might stop for lunch. I had no answer, no problem we can be hungry for a while, no problem. Well, about 10 minutes later it was a problem (for her) and an other 10 minutes it was a severe crisis (for her) so we stopped at this little store there on Lyons Valley Road. Didn't have much of a choice of things, think maybe we got granola bars. Was an interesting stop with a donkey and other farm yard animals there across the road, and local folks coming and going. I was perfectly having a great time. But wife was annoyed with the lack of planning for a good lunch.

Hence, why am asking for some recommendations.

I will look into the Mothers Kitchen near Mt Palomar. Thanks Ken
(interesting that a guy from Alberta is telling me, from Michigan, about roads by San Diego).

Dave the Ramona Cafe in Ramona used to be a good place for breakfast and I'm guessing good for lunch. Ramona is up the hill from SD on the way to Julian.
We have not been there since the fall of 2009.

Picture_060.jpg

Picture_063.jpg

I went back and looked at your thread from last year and I see I missed where you asked how I knew about the Julian area. The answer is my sister used to live in Ramona.

Picture_0611.jpg

I will look into the Mothers Kitchen near Mt Palomar. Thanks Ken
(interesting that a guy from Alberta is telling me, from Michigan, about roads by San Diego).

That's why I love the MOA - many folks riding all over the world - and happy to share with everyone else.

Dave the Ramona Cafe in Ramona used to be a good place for breakfast and I'm guessing good for lunch. Ramona is up the hill from SD on the way to Julian.
We have not been there since the fall of 2009..
.]

Ramona, okay, Thanks.
I see that on the map. On 78 & 67.

Back