• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Your thoughts on Tents, Sleeping Bags, Pads and Pillows

Tents - I have about 6, have sold/given away another 5-6, but the Eureka Timberland 4 is my go-to tent.

I believe that is what mine was originally called but in the "Outfitter" (heavy duty floor and zippers and two doors) series. I have the 2 person version.

The thread starter listed the Timberline Kananaskis Outfitters 4XT in his first post.

I forgot to mention one other advantage of the 4-person tent other than the extra space. At just over 6 foot tall, the length of my 2-person tent is such that my feet and/or head come in contact with the walls the odd time which have dew on the inside even when well vented (part of camping). So you get wet. No big deal, but thought I would mention it.

Apache Instant tent ,Big Agnes sleeping bag ,with a camp rest pad inside . The tent is 9'x7' x6'4" tall . It's large enough for two ,with plenty of room for sleeping gear ,Kermit chairs ,and the rest of our gear. The apache has stood up to heavy winds that blew other tents down ,and has been to many rallies . It packs down to 6-8" around and 31" long . I've had it since 2008 and it's still in great shape .

Depending on your individual characteristics, yes, it can be complicated. It took me a LOT of trial-and error to figure out my sleeping pad. I'm a big, broad fella, wide through the shoulders and hips, but not so wide through the middle...and I sleep best curled-up on one side, so pressure points at my downward shoulder and hip can be a real problem. I can bring a gigantic air-mattress, but I want to be able to pack other things on the bike too. I eventually settled on an Exped Synmat, but I've never been happy with it's inflation system, and at Das Rally one of the internal seams between the 'tubes' came loose so I've now got a little bit of a hump in it.

The side-curling thing makes sleeping bags more complicated too. 'Mummy' types have some pluses, but work poorly for side-sleepers. Since I live in the southeast and most moto-camping is in the warm part of the year, I often don't even bring a sleeping bag, just a Coolmax bag-liner and a fleece 'sleepsack' thingee. Good down to about 55F, and I can augment that setup with one of those wispy airline blankets (pilfered from a flight a few years ago) to get a few more degrees.

I am also a side-sleeper with bad hips. Tried cots, thicker and thicker Thermarest pads, etc. but nothing worked until I went with a Big Agnes semi-rectangular bag with a sleeve on the bottom to hold a pad. But, I slip TWO pads in there. The bottom one is a Big Agnes Q-core, an insulated inflatable, and on top of that goes a women's 1" Thermarest pad. The problem with inflatable pads us that when your hip presses down it's too localized; the pad sinks at the hip location as air is squeezed. The Thermarest on top is a more rigid pad that distributes the hip pressure over a wider area so the hip doesn't touch the ground. Both pads together pack smaller than the regular 3" Thermarest I used to use, and the sleeve on the sleeping bag keeps everything together and underneath me. With a small air pillow or a helmet bag stuffed with clothing, I sleep really well on this setup- no more sore hips in the morning!

Best,
DG

I just replaced my back packing tent and sleep pad, and added a small collapsible camp chair for the MOA Rally. I decided to go a bit larger for the motorcycle, and for car camping, and ended up with REI gear:

The REI Base Camp 4:
https://www.rei.com/product/862432/rei-base-camp-4-tent

The Base Camp 4 is about 5' tall inside and works out well for dispelling the "on the knees" feeling I had in the back packing tent. It may fit 4 sleepers in a pinch, though is ideal for two and gear, and has two large doors, one each side. The tent material is sturdier than what I've had before and has breathable mesh around the top and in the zip up door windows. There are the typical dome tent type cross poles at the center top to the four corners, then two more that prop the tent out above the doors, and extend down to the side center. This setup makes this tent one of the most sturdy I've had.

There are two vestibules convenient for storing outside stuff under cover instead of inside the tent. One of the vestibules has a separate upper tent pole that extends somewhat away from the tent roofline, convenient for exiting in inclement weather, and doubles as a sunshade with enough room for a small chair.

REI provides a very nice 3 compartment tent bag with back pack type straps, one each side for the tent and the fly, one in the middle for the poles, and an outside zipped compartment for the sturdy pegs. The packed size is larger/heavier than you would want to hike with but fits fine in the waterproof compressible duffel bag that I typically carry on the back seat of the bike, that also includes sleep pad, sleep bag, etc.

The REI 2.5 Pad:
https://www.rei.com/product/870756/rei-camp-bed-25-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

I was a little nervous about setting off to the MOA Rally with a recently purchased 2.5" thick sleeping pad, since my back has been complaining about the old 1" +/- thick Thermarest back packing pad I've been using for many years. I spent a week camping in AZ a few years ago and had to add two egg crate type foam pads under it from a local department store. My MOA Rally plan was to again pick up additional padding, if needed.

This sleep pad has foam inside and self inflates. I augmented the self inflation with several more deep breaths and it was too firm the first night. So, I let out a bit for the second night. I think I bought the large pad instead of the regular, because it's wider than 25", I think it's 29" wide. This worked out great and also fits inside the back seat duffel bag.

The Quest Pack Lite Chair:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=87374386
This was a last minute purchase. Collapsible, small and pack-able, I tucked this under the bungie net that strapped the duffel bag to the rear seat, and the price wasn't bad either. The online reviews stated the feet might sink in, so I bought 3/4" rubber cane tips, slipped them over the feet, and it was surprisingly comfortable.

I spent four nights in this kit at the MOA Rally, and I'm looking forward to more camping this season.

OK, my 6 person Coleman tent is "too big," but gives me and another plenty of space.

My $10 collapsible chair isn't a Kermit but works just fine.

The best recent addition after years of multiple queen size airbed failures is the Go-Kot. Made in the USA by a great guy in GA, it sets up in less than 2 minutes, keeps me off the ground, and packs up "small enough" to carry on the bike along with everything else. I got the large size last December and have used it several times and absolutely love it!

http://campingcot.com/

I think it would be safe to say that all campers who had a tent up Tuesday night at the national when those 70KT winds came through and didn't have to pound in stakes at 0130 or had to find a new shelter in the morning may be at least a little qualified on tents. That was some wind storm.

A new tent with as-supplied cheap pegs did require some peg pounding in the aftermath of the wind. No damage really, minor bend or two in a couple of poles. A learning experience.

My blog has a couple of pics of some damage done by that wind. Not my stuff, thankfully.

Hammock camping

This is a slightly different direction. Of course, you need trees, but hammocks are popular with the ultra-light back pack crowd. You can get tarps that make your hammock into a suspended tent, along with exterior quilts that can keep you comfortable in the cold.
There is a hammock community that you can find through all of the hammock makers.
My hammock is a "Jacks R Better" bridge hammock. You sleep pretty flat in a bridge hammock compared to a gathered end hammock which has the expected head high, hips low posture.
I like the made in USA Idea. Jacks R Better is owned by a couple retired Army officers, one of which does some MC camping.
As for sleeping bags.... I hate to be cold and I recommend "Wiggy's". Made in Colorado or some other cold place.
Wiggy's uses a unique insulation called Lamalite. He does a lot of work for special ops characters.

One stop shopping

Just my two cents. But since starting from scratch might behoove you (if your address is correct) to make a run to Seattle in the states. Seattle has it all gear wise. You then would get to touch, play with, and try a lot of the items out.

Seattle Stores:

REI is there with their very large corporate store, including outlet in basement. I have to say a large % of what I use came from REI. I like the backpacker light weight stuff and gear that allows be to take creature comforts without loosing space or adding weight to bike. Plus REI really stands behind their stuff with a very good warranty. plus a generous, no questions asked return policy.

MSR and Outdoor Research over on 1st Ave.

Feather Friends has great gear and excellent goose down, very compact sleeping bags and warm clothing.

Outdoor Emporium for everything

Second Ascent for new and used over in Ballard neighborhood

Ask these shops for recommendations for what you are looking for and you will get even more to choose from since most employees are outdoor lovers and know and use this gear.

Just a FYI I am your age and been doing this for many years and tried a ton of products:

I prefer a two bag method for camping gear. Two large top load dry bags (not end fill like a duffle). I stack them on back seat of bike and against top case. I strap them down with Rok straps I have mounted under seat and to frame. One set of tie downs for each bag and a pair that go over both sets. Set up is good and secure, water tight and can be cinched down easily.

My routine is simple and efficient. Everything you take and buy has to fit in those two bags. I leave the side cases for clothes for me or me and/or partner. Rear top case is for rain gear, tools, water and extra supplies.

First of the two bags holds only outdoor items. Kermit chairs, tent, walking shoes, entry cloth/rug, warm outdoor gear. I can set up tent and outdoor stuff first right from bag and then go to bike and pull the indoor tent bag. I store the empty outdoor gear bag under the tent fly vestibule of my REi Quarter Dome 3 tent. You can go smaller but this thing is roomy. I also run the Redverz tent when its two up and I want a tent to stand in.

The second bag is all interior tent items and goes right from bike into the interior of tent. Sleep pad, bag, lighting, pillows. sheet or cover for pad, towels, sower shoes, cpap and battery.

Its easy organization and clean process. Reverse process upon pack up. When you crawl out of tent the morning of departure everything should totally packed from the tent and you can put your boots on and start packing bike. Since the tent is empty you can collect the stakes and take off tie downs and move tent and ground cloth into sun to dry out. I carry a heavy rubbish bag if its been raining or if its going to be too long waiting for the tent to dry. I pack it as normal and put the went tent into rubbish bag to keep it from dripping into rest of bag. i pull it first chance I get to get it out and dry everything out.

Good luck and have fun. Feel free to send PM.

Cheers,

Mark (Miles) Sanford

Two up gear

My wife is new to motorcycling and camping. While she's not a true girly-girl, I knew the comfort level needed to be on the high side. Happy wife=happy me. My choices aren't small and lightweight, but do the intended job(s) and fit reasonably well on my K1300GT.

Sleeping gear: Nemo Cosmo insulated 50 (two person) pad, regular full size fitted sheet, Exped Dreamwalker Duo quilt and two Thermarest Medium compressible pillows. All fits in one Outdoor Research 55L dry duffel bag, lashed on top of a side case.

Tent: Eureka Taron Basecamp 4. It's 5' tall so you can stand up inside to get dressed. At 57 y/o, I'm past the days of crawling in and out of a tent. Lots of room for gear/clothing and great, if not exceptional, venting even during a driving rain storm. It does pack into its own 8x24 bag, but I have it along with the ground sheet, pegs and poles in a second 55L dry duffel lashed on top of the other side case. Yes, I'm way too OCD to have non-matching bags.

Other stuff:
Go Outfitters 11'x9.5' tarp with Eureka nesting poles, two 6' and two 8', cut to 24" long. For additional shade or rain protection (or Happy Hour with your camp neighbors). Tarp is in 55L dry bag with the tent, etc. Poles are in a Eureak pole carry bag lashed along side the sleeping gear bag. Adds some stability to that soft bag.

Two original Travelchairs. Steel and low, but are stable, don't sink in soft ground, and are easy to push yourself up/out of. Both carried in their supplied bags in the 49L top case.

O2Cool battery operated fan, stored in dry bag with sleeping gear. It gets hung in tent with a cargo bungee net.

2 Chinese LED collapsible lanterns. Almost too bright. In dry bag with sleeping gear.

APAK Goods folding table. I replaced the shock cord tensioners with guy lines and adjusters for a more stable top surface. In the top case.

Each of us are left with an empty side case for clothing and rain gear, and I have Kathy's Journey Designs bags for those cases.

Without my camp kitchen setup, I have lots of room in the top case for misc things or in-route purchases. This gear, and the bike, are all new to me this year. I've already reconfigured the set up once and I'll probably do some additional tweaking after a couple more uses.

Last edited:
Having camped most of my life, I'm of the opinion that getting the best gear you can afford makes for a comfy stay. It isn't how much stuff you bring, but the quality of it that matters. I think most peeps overpack and aren't necessarily better off IMHO, but each to their own.

Tent; Exped, Hilleberg are my top choices and I used a Exped Andromeda for years. It has survived many bad storms in total comfort. If anyone remembers the Gillette WY rally than this is where my tent and other well made, and staked out properly!, tents survived without a hitch.

Sleeping bag; get something warmer than you think you need! It's better to have to open up the bag then try to stay warm when the temps drop lower than expected. Anyone been in the Rockies at high altitude knows it can and will freeze at night in July. You'll be surprised how cold you get once the temps drop below the rating of your bag.

Sleeping pad; Well I have a few as motorcycle camping and car camping are two different animals in as far as what one can carry. Self inflating and insulated are the best option. At the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is spend too much time making my bed... BA , Exped and REI have plenty of choices.

I still have my Kermit chair from the Spokane rally and it still looks like new so again quality wins! I'm sure many others who go through cheap china mart chairs have spend more money over the years than I have :deal

Anyway it's all up to the individual but this is what has worked for me so far.. Just my 0.02 cts

Thermarest cot

Enjoyed reading all the posts. My two cents to this thread is the Thermarest cot. It makes tent camping like sleeping on your home bed. I have the tall version and it keeps your entire body above the tent floor. Weighs about 5 pounds, but its much better IMHO than an inflatable mattress. I'll have it in SLC in July and Newfoundland in August. The airflow with the mesh cover makes summer camping much more tolerable plus any sudden rain storm keeps you about the damp floor.

Kermit Chair, Motorcycle Camping

No better chair! Excellent Quality, breaks down and sets up fast, straps on the back of the bike without blocking your view in the mirrors ( absolute must), and most of all comfortable for a 50 something seat!

I have a Chinese Helinox knock off chair, $30 on eBay. packs about 1/2 the size of a Kermit, pretty comfortable around the campfire.

My sleeping pad/mattress is a Klymit Static V-lux, which is 30" wide and 3" thick, but packs pretty small.

I have a couple sleeping bags, depends on temperature. My rule of thumb is bring a bag rated to 20 degrees lower than expected.

My tent is a Eureka, should have gone with something with a taller interior height. As I get older, it is harder to get dressed while seated/lying down.

I tent camped as a Boy Scout, then with my own kids, thought I was done with tenting, but wanted to increase my riding range without spending a bundle on hotels. Turns out the comradery around the campfire after a wood fire cooked steak is as enjoyable as the ride itself.

Tent

Found a Mountainsmith cottonwood 6 tent on close out $159.47 peak height 6'4" easy set up
At backcountry.com IMG_1012.jpgIMG_1007.jpg

Back