• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Booster Plug

Booster Plug + af-xied better solution.

I have a 2004 R1200C, and the Booster Plug helped the drive-ability of my 12C noticeably; however, I would say that it is not a complete solution. As you probably already know the fuel map is adjusted by the ECU by sampling values from the air-intake (Booster Plug) which is also known as Open Loop, and values from the O2 sensor (Ad-Xied) also known as closed loop. The ECU reads and adjusts the fueling based on either the Open Loop or Closed Loop value at any given point through-out the RPM range, and the ECU is switching back and forth from Open/Closed a lot.

I think that the disappointment that many have had with using the Booster Plug alone is that it only addresses one side of the A/F ratio equation. I started out with the Booster Plug alone, and I was very happy with the improvements I noticed; however as I got adjusted to the new behavior of the bike with the Booster Plug, I stated notice that under hard acceleration there were power dead spots i.e. power curve under heavy acceleration not smooth and continuous as it was before, and I believe that this was due to that switching from Open to Closed loop.

The good news was that while in Open Loop the real-world drive-ability and throttle response improved with the Booster Plug install; however, when the ECU switched to Closed Loop the switch was very noticeable because I had augmented one reading while not augmenting the other, and that was primarily noticeable during more aggressive acceleration.

Adding in the Af-Xied into the mix corrected all of those issues. I was pleased with the Booster Plug overall, but I am extremely Happy with the results I have gotten from using the Booster Plug and Af-Xied together, and were someone to ask me, my advice would be to get them both.

Back