• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wet head fuel octane level

Does anyone know if the computer, on a 2015 boxer engine, can be programmed to allow use of 87 octane instead of 93. :wave:wave

No. However, BMW (see manual and sticker on gas tank cap) states 89 octane is permissible. I doubt one could "adjust" the computer to allow for 87 octane...not sure why one would want to dummy down the power to save a dollar a fill-up. Probably able to find some after market power (or lower-the-power) Command system to over ride the computer.

Using 87 octane in an engine designed for 93 is a good way to ruin an engine.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found this on the RepROM for the Wethead GS, GSA, and R, but not for the RT. Don't know if that is an omission, or just not a possibility. If it's important, maybe the dealer will verify for you. I think BMW offers the option for the ADV types that are travelling in countries where higher octanes are simply not available.

Capture.PNG

The recommended fuel for my 2015 GSA is 89 AKI (not 91, or 93). And yes, my operator's manual (like the maintenance manual shown above) points out that a dealer can program the bike to use 87 AKI.

Is the recommended fuel for the wethead RT not also 89 AKI?

No. However, BMW (see manual and sticker on gas tank cap) states 89 octane is permissible. I doubt one could "adjust" the computer to allow for 87 octane...not sure why one would want to dummy down the power to save a dollar a fill-up. Probably able to find some after market power (or lower-the-power) Command system to over ride the computer.

The concern for lower grade fuel comes from when you travel through a developing country with alternative grades gasoline used. It's not about the saving I believe.

The recommended fuel for my 2015 GSA is 89 AKI (not 91, or 93). And yes, my operator's manual (like the maintenance manual shown above) points out that a dealer can program the bike to use 87 AKI.

My 15 RT manual also says 89 AKI. It also says super unleaded with a max of 10% ethanol

When adjusted for low octane fuel, the ignition is retarded which makes the engine less efficient, produce less horsepower, and burn more fuel.

It's designed for 89, running 87 isn't a problem. I know a BMW sales Manager with over 220K miles on his GS running lower octane than suggested, so a few tanks isn't likely to matter.

The concern for lower grade fuel comes from when you travel through a developing country with alternative grades gasoline used. It's not about the saving I believe.

You'll find places in western states, especially on reservations, where you might not have any choice either.

I run what ever is the highest octane available. Non ethanol if I can get it. The out west comment was right, especially higher elevations, the octanes levels are less. Money wise it doesn't add up to much at 5-6 gallons. Plus why not try for the best combustion situation.

I run what ever is the highest octane available. Non ethanol if I can get it. The out west comment was right, especially higher elevations, the octanes levels are less. Money wise it doesn't add up to much at 5-6 gallons. Plus why not try for the best combustion situation.
Because a higher octane than be engine was designed for brings ZERO benefit and may actual cause more harm than good by way of inefficient and incomplete combustion, deposits and lower fuel economy. Better isn't always better.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Because a higher octane than be engine was designed for brings ZERO benefit and may actual cause more harm than good by way of inefficient and incomplete combustion, deposits and lower fuel economy. Better isn't always better.

Absolutely correct, one of the great misconceptions around motor vehicles in general.

In an LC Boxer, run 3 tanks of the highest you can find, and then 3 tanks of 89.
I'll bet you a good French dip and a beer you actually get better performance from the 89.

I tried it on a long ride where I knew I could maintain consistency across several tanks.
There was no difference in response feel, and I got 2+ MPG better economy with 89.

Part of my reasoning is quality of the fuel you are getting. Many tanks have one hose for all three levels. How much fuel is in the hose before you get what you want. I have tried lower octane fuel and haven't noticed any difference. However I didn't do a scientific study, i.e. making sure all the environmental and performance factors were the same.

Octane level

Thanks for the information. I don't mind paying for 91 or 93 octane fuel but, if you get 87 octane you can rest assured that the fuel is fresh. Some stations sell very little high octane fuel, especially in the rural parts of this country and that fuel can be stale and watered down. Speaking from experience.

I'm doing a 50cc in September then heading to Portland for beer.....before heading back east.

This place is on the south-ish side of the base of Hood, on 26 or 35... will have to research if you're really interested. It's a hole... walking in you would (be scared) never believe you would eat something that would leave you wanting to come back, for years!

Back