Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wet head fuel octane level

Part of my reasoning is quality of the fuel you are getting. Many tanks have one hose for all three levels. How much fuel is in the hose before you get what you want. I have tried lower octane fuel and haven't noticed any difference. However I didn't do a scientific study, i.e. making sure all the environmental and performance factors were the same.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Mmmmm french dip!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I know a really good one in an old brothel in OR... ride?
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    I know a really good one in an old brothel in OR... ride?
    I'm doing a 50cc in September then heading to Portland for beer.....before heading back east.

Octane level

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    The recommended fuel for my 2015 GSA is 89 AKI (not 91, or 93). And yes, my operator's manual (like the maintenance manual shown above) points out that a dealer can program the bike to use 87 AKI.

Is the recommended fuel for the wethead RT not also 89 AKI?
    Thanks for the information. I don't mind paying for 91 or 93 octane fuel but, if you get 87 octane you can rest assured that the fuel is fresh. Some stations sell very little high octane fuel, especially in the rural parts of this country and that fuel can be stale and watered down. Speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    I'm doing a 50cc in September then heading to Portland for beer.....before heading back east.

This place is on the south-ish side of the base of Hood, on 26 or 35... will have to research if you're really interested. It's a hole... walking in you would (be scared) never believe you would eat something that would leave you wanting to come back, for years!
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by 146023 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I don't mind paying for 91 or 93 octane fuel but, if you get 87 octane you can rest assured that the fuel is fresh. Some stations sell very little high octane fuel, especially in the rural parts of this country and that fuel can be stale and watered down. Speaking from experience.
    So true... and why so many in rural areas don't carry it as it's real expensive to have that kind of volume separate and have to be disposed - double whammy.