Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wet head fuel octane level

Wet head fuel octane level

Does anyone know if the computer, on a 2015 boxer engine, can be programmed to allow use of 87 octane instead of 93.

No. However, BMW (see manual and sticker on gas tank cap) states 89 octane is permissible. I doubt one could "adjust" the computer to allow for 87 octane...not sure why one would want to dummy down the power to save a dollar a fill-up. Probably able to find some after market power (or lower-the-power) Command system to over ride the computer.
    MOA #46783

Using 87 octane in an engine designed for 93 is a good way to ruin an engine.

Pete
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    2015 R1200RT

I agree.... use 93 and enjoy your motorcycle (engine) for a long time.

Found this on the RepROM for the Wethead GS, GSA, and R, but not for the RT. Don't know if that is an omission, or just not a possibility. If it's important, maybe the dealer will verify for you. I think BMW offers the option for the ADV types that are travelling in countries where higher octanes are simply not available.

Capture.PNG
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

The recommended fuel for my 2015 GSA is 89 AKI (not 91, or 93). And yes, my operator's manual (like the maintenance manual shown above) points out that a dealer can program the bike to use 87 AKI.

Is the recommended fuel for the wethead RT not also 89 AKI?
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    No. However, BMW (see manual and sticker on gas tank cap) states 89 octane is permissible. I doubt one could "adjust" the computer to allow for 87 octane...not sure why one would want to dummy down the power to save a dollar a fill-up. Probably able to find some after market power (or lower-the-power) Command system to over ride the computer.
    The concern for lower grade fuel comes from when you travel through a developing country with alternative grades gasoline used. It's not about the saving I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    The recommended fuel for my 2015 GSA is 89 AKI (not 91, or 93). And yes, my operator's manual (like the maintenance manual shown above) points out that a dealer can program the bike to use 87 AKI.

Is the recommended fuel for the wethead RT not also 89 AKI?
    My 15 RT manual also says 89 AKI. It also says super unleaded with a max of 10% ethanol
    Pete
    2015 R1200RT

When adjusted for low octane fuel, the ignition is retarded which makes the engine less efficient, produce less horsepower, and burn more fuel.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

It's designed for 89, running 87 isn't a problem. I know a BMW sales Manager with over 220K miles on his GS running lower octane than suggested, so a few tanks isn't likely to matter.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by kosta15auto View Post
    The concern for lower grade fuel comes from when you travel through a developing country with alternative grades gasoline used. It's not about the saving I believe.
    You'll find places in western states, especially on reservations, where you might not have any choice either.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

I run what ever is the highest octane available. Non ethanol if I can get it. The out west comment was right, especially higher elevations, the octanes levels are less. Money wise it doesn't add up to much at 5-6 gallons. Plus why not try for the best combustion situation.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

Quote Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
    I run what ever is the highest octane available. Non ethanol if I can get it. The out west comment was right, especially higher elevations, the octanes levels are less. Money wise it doesn't add up to much at 5-6 gallons. Plus why not try for the best combustion situation.
    Because a higher octane than be engine was designed for brings ZERO benefit and may actual cause more harm than good by way of inefficient and incomplete combustion, deposits and lower fuel economy. Better isn't always better.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Because a higher octane than be engine was designed for brings ZERO benefit and may actual cause more harm than good by way of inefficient and incomplete combustion, deposits and lower fuel economy. Better isn't always better.

Absolutely correct, one of the great misconceptions around motor vehicles in general.

In an LC Boxer, run 3 tanks of the highest you can find, and then 3 tanks of 89.
    I'll bet you a good French dip and a beer you actually get better performance from the 89.

I tried it on a long ride where I knew I could maintain consistency across several tanks.
    There was no difference in response feel, and I got 2+ MPG better economy with 89.

Mmmmm french dip!