• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing pushrod seals 1971 R75/5 (Parts List)

NCmotomark

Motomark
Starting my 2016 winter project.Replacing the pushrod seals on my 1971R75/5,want to make sure I have everything on hand that I may or will need.
I have plenty of reference materials,maybe too much info out there. Brooke Reems,Snowbum and Haynes/Clymer have gotten me confused on the parts that I need.The /5,/6 and other Airheads covered by their info has made my head spin.

As far as I know,I will need the following parts to complete...
Pushrod Seals (4)ea.
Cylinder Base Gasket(2)ea.
Cylinder Head Gasket(2)ea.
Valve Cover Gasket(2)ea.
Piston Pin Clips(4)ea.
O Rings 15x2.5(8)ea.
Permatex Ultra Grey or Hylomar Sealant

I have all of the necessary tools to complete this project and the confidence in my skills.
Last winter I did R&R of Transmission,Clutch,Rear Seal and Oil Pan Gasket.Had nice results with no leaks or clutch slippage.

I currently am recovering from a Corneal Transplant and Cataract Removal on my left eye and trying to do the Pushrod seals before I have same surgery on my right eye.I have a month or so to complete this project.

Thanks for any Suggestions

Last edited:
I would like to have Oak's Top End Manual on hand. It's probably the best resource to have to walk you through the steps.

Review Chris Harris on You Tube

I think it would be well worth your time to view this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A47LiKSYD9o There are no real surprises but perhaps a couple of hints that may help.
Chris Harris produces many good, educational videos on airhead service that most find entertaining as well. NOTE: Chris tends to use a few expletives in his dialogue.

Good luck.

There are two links contained in the link in my sig line related to pushrod tube seals. Open the link and search for "pushrod".

Replacing pushrod seals 1971 R75/5

There are two links contained in the link in my sig line related to pushrod tube seals. Open the link and search for "pushrod".

Thanks for your Excellent links.These two links suggested will be of a great asset to completing my PRT project.I also viewed Chris Harris's videos and now have a good feeling about completing PRT without too much frustration.

I now only need to get a copy of Oak's Top End Manual Parts 1 and 2. Where might I need look to obtain the info to contact him to get this item?

Thanks Again

Thanks for your Excellent links.These two links suggested will be of a great asset to completing my PRT project.I also viewed Chris Harris's videos and now have a good feeling about completing PRT without too much frustration.

I now only need to get a copy of Oak's Top End Manual Parts 1 and 2. Where might I need look to obtain the info to contact him to get this item?

Thanks Again

i tried emailing him at askoak @ aol dot com a few weeks ago and never heard back. someone said you just have to mail a check for 25.00 in to
Oak Okleshen
22637 Ridgeway Ave
Richton Park IL 60471

and a the manual will show up.

i tried emailing him at askoak @ aol dot com a few weeks ago and never heard back. someone said you just have to mail a check for 25.00 in to
Oak Okleshen
22637 Ridgeway Ave
Richton Park IL 60471

and a the manual will show up.

That's how I got mine. Fwiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You shouldn't need valve cover gaskets.

Properly installed OE gaskets, i.e. installed with the side with printing toward the cylinder head so the built-on adhesive is activated, should be good for maybe 10 years. (Don't glue the gaskets to the valve covers, obviously.)

I have a spare set of valve covers, but the originals have been fine since new on my '75 R60. I never noticed the printing...

Back