• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can TPMS be retrofitted?

Dann

I have an 07 RT and I'm wondering if the TPMS can be retrofitted on it.
If not, are there any good 3rd party solutions?

Too bad I only have a ZUMO 350. There is a Garmin TPMS but it works with the 390 unit and not the 350.

I don't know about an OEM retrofit. I have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for my motorhome. It uses a transponder that screws on in place of the valve stem cap. It reads pressure and temperature on a remote screen.
I have found it works well and when the sensors have an issue, the company response was good.
OM

Was the TPMS an OEM system that was not installed? I mean can an owner opt in or out at time of purchase? From some past posts, it appears that there is an OEM system but it might take some reprogramming of the computer.

I found some past threads about aftermarket products:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?68093-What-aftermarket-TPMS-fits-my-08-R1200RT

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70300-Best-Aftermarket-Tire-Pressure-Monitor

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?40698-Tire-Pressure-Monitors

Thanks for the replies

I found this system that looks interesting but I'm wondering how I could install it on my RT.
It won't fit on the handlebars. I would like to find a way to put it on a Ram ball (My GPS mount can support 3 ram balls)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelmate-TP-90-TPMS-Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-2-Sensors-LCD-Display-A8BU-/281836678594?hash=item419ec66dc2:g:snQAAOSwA4dWKf1~&vxp=mtr

Edit: I looked at it again and the kit comes with a 3M double sided sticker. It can be glued to a ram ball adaptor.

Last edited:
I got my answer from the GS-911 Forum.
I'm relaying it in case someone is interested

You just need the module Anti-Theft-Alarm (DWA) with TPMS (RDK) 433MHZ part number 65758544716. ($256)
Sensor rear wheel 36238521797 ($143)
Sensor front wheel 36318532732 ($127)
After mounting these parts you have to register RDC to the bike. Thats a dealers job.

At last, I don't know the possibility of updating the Kombi (dashboard)

Too expensive for my taste.
I'll keep looking for an after market solution

I ended up buying this one

The handlebar holder doesn't fit on the RT but I intend to remove it and mount it on a ram ball next to my GPS (I have a Migsel GPS mount that can hold 3 Ram balls)

Are the tire sensors small enough for clearance on horizontal valve stems such as those found on the S1000, r1200 series of motorcycles?
Previous cap sensors would not clear forks and brake pieces due to their extended size.

Are the tire sensors small enough for clearance on horizontal valve stems such as those found on the S1000, r1200 series of motorcycles?
Previous cap sensors would not clear forks and brake pieces due to their extended size.

I don't know but if you go to this page, there a are pictures of the valve stems on a wheel, they compare them to another brand to show that theirs are smaller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelmate-T...ash=item419ec66dc2:g:snQAAOSwA4dWKf1~&vxp=mtr

I had ride-on smart caps on my RT and had no problem with the front wheel valve which is on the side. These look even smaller.

The one thing I like about the OEM system is also something I don't like about it.

If pressure drops to whatever the system thinks might indicate a problem it illuminates the warning triangle on the dash. That's typically great as you hopefully learn about a potentially developing problem before handling suffers. When it is less than great is when the integrated batteries start to fail it will also illuminate the triangle. I had that happen during a trip and would reset it with my GS911 but it would come right back. My concern is that having the triangle on continually for a non real problem means that if another event occurs that might trigger the triangle it could be missed.

Overall I like the OEM system. It's nice to be able to get an idea if pressures at high elevations on hot roads and such. If I didn't have it I think I would probably add something.

The one thing I like about the OEM system is also something I don't like about it.

If pressure drops to whatever the system thinks might indicate a problem it illuminates the warning triangle on the dash. That's typically great as you hopefully learn about a potentially developing problem before handling suffers. When it is less than great is when the integrated batteries start to fail it will also illuminate the triangle. I had that happen during a trip and would reset it with my GS911 but it would come right back. My concern is that having the triangle on continually for a non real problem means that if another event occurs that might trigger the triangle it could be missed.

Overall I like the OEM system. It's nice to be able to get an idea if pressures at high elevations on hot roads and such. If I didn't have it I think I would probably add something.

I also have the oem sys. How do you change out the batteries and what is the number for the batteries?
Bernie

The OEM replacement sensors run about $149 each, not designed to be serviceable. Have seen some live five years, others gone in two seasons.

There are folks who have taken the unit apart and replaced the button battery, some have destroyed the plastic case trying.

Old thread from adv site:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/08-gsa-tire-pressure-monitoring-problem.835465/#post-27797181

One more reason for me not to go OEM for the TPMS

I'm not ready to spend over $300 every couple of years on new new modules because the batteries dies. (It's like buying $300 batteries)

This is the complete list of material needed for a retrofit (Includes alarm system which is on the same module)

Order from Endras Motorrad. (Canada)

The items in your Order are:
Quantity Product Stock Number Price EA

1 Control unit for alarm system/RDC . 433MHZ65758544716 $346.68
2 Remote control . 433 MHZ65752337407 $73.85
1 Battery . 3V65752337504 $5.50
4 Screw . M4X10,507147119858 $2.23
1 RESISTOR . 120 OHM61137668405 $10.00
1 Bracket, control unit65757729041 $18.00
1 Sensor with valve . RDC36318532731 $185.00
1 Sensor with valve . RDC36238521797$180.00

Your order summary:8 products, 12 items $901.80
Shipping To QC, Canada$ 0.00
Total $ 901.80

One more reason for me not to go OEM for the TPMS

I'm not ready to spend over $300 every couple of years on new new modules because the batteries dies. (It's like buying $300 batteries)

This is the complete list of material needed for a retrofit (Includes alarm system which is on the same module)

$10 for a 120 Ohm resistor? I'll sell them for $5 every day of the week (cost is about $0.10..)

I'm finally done with the installation

I made an extension using a piece of steel and installed it under my GPS.

Finding longer M3 screws for the TPMS monitor was a challenge but I'm pleased with the result

Nice job. Keep us posted on how it works over the long haul.

Thanks,

I didn't get to ride with it yet.

In QC bikes are not allowed on the roads between Dec 15 and March 15. The law requires winter tires on all vehicles.
I'll be able to take it out in a few days.

What I can say so far is that after I installed it the tire pressure displayed on the monitor was spot on with with the readings from Accu-Gage pressure gauge.

I bought a used 2008 RT and was surprised to see there was no TPMS. So I bought the Garmin Zumo 390 and their valve stem cap sending units. Also had to purchase a metal valve stem for the rear because the centrifugal force will rip the rubber stem right out of the rim.

Also I like the fact that I get an actual tire pressure reading and not a theoretical one if the temperature was 68 F that the BMW system gives you. I live in AZ, it ain't 68 F for 8 months of the year.

Back