Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Can TPMS be retrofitted?

  1. #1
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    519

    Can TPMS be retrofitted?

    I have an 07 RT and I'm wondering if the TPMS can be retrofitted on it.
    If not, are there any good 3rd party solutions?

    Too bad I only have a ZUMO 350. There is a Garmin TPMS but it works with the 390 unit and not the 350.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    16,861
    I don't know about an OEM retrofit. I have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for my motorhome. It uses a transponder that screws on in place of the valve stem cap. It reads pressure and temperature on a remote screen.
    I have found it works well and when the sensors have an issue, the company response was good.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    22,504
    Was the TPMS an OEM system that was not installed? I mean can an owner opt in or out at time of purchase? From some past posts, it appears that there is an OEM system but it might take some reprogramming of the computer.

    I found some past threads about aftermarket products:

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....-my-08-R1200RT

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....essure-Monitor

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....ssure-Monitors
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  4. #4
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    519
    Thanks for the replies

    I found this system that looks interesting but I'm wondering how I could install it on my RT.
    It won't fit on the handlebars. I would like to find a way to put it on a Ram ball (My GPS mount can support 3 ram balls)

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelmate-TP...dWKf1~&vxp=mtr

    Edit: I looked at it again and the kit comes with a 3M double sided sticker. It can be glued to a ram ball adaptor.
    Last edited by Dann; 01-16-2016 at 02:03 AM.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

  5. #5
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    519
    I got my answer from the GS-911 Forum.
    I'm relaying it in case someone is interested

    You just need the module Anti-Theft-Alarm (DWA) with TPMS (RDK) 433MHZ part number 65758544716. ($256)
    Sensor rear wheel 36238521797 ($143)
    Sensor front wheel 36318532732 ($127)
    After mounting these parts you have to register RDC to the bike. Thats a dealers job.

    At last, I don't know the possibility of updating the Kombi (dashboard)
    Too expensive for my taste.
    I'll keep looking for an after market solution
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

  6. #6
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    519
    I ended up buying this one



    The handlebar holder doesn't fit on the RT but I intend to remove it and mount it on a ram ball next to my GPS (I have a Migsel GPS mount that can hold 3 Ram balls)
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

  7. #7
    Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Lakeland,FL
    Posts
    1,976
    Let us know how it works out. Looks very interesting and the price is right!

  8. #8
    Tourmeister gr8ridn2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kern Valley CA
    Posts
    281
    Are the tire sensors small enough for clearance on horizontal valve stems such as those found on the S1000, r1200 series of motorcycles?
    Previous cap sensors would not clear forks and brake pieces due to their extended size.
    2018 R1200RT W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

  9. #9
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Are the tire sensors small enough for clearance on horizontal valve stems such as those found on the S1000, r1200 series of motorcycles?
    Previous cap sensors would not clear forks and brake pieces due to their extended size.
    I don't know but if you go to this page, there a are pictures of the valve stems on a wheel, they compare them to another brand to show that theirs are smaller.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelmate-TP...dWKf1~&vxp=mtr

    I had ride-on smart caps on my RT and had no problem with the front wheel valve which is on the side. These look even smaller.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    380
    The one thing I like about the OEM system is also something I don't like about it.

    If pressure drops to whatever the system thinks might indicate a problem it illuminates the warning triangle on the dash. That's typically great as you hopefully learn about a potentially developing problem before handling suffers. When it is less than great is when the integrated batteries start to fail it will also illuminate the triangle. I had that happen during a trip and would reset it with my GS911 but it would come right back. My concern is that having the triangle on continually for a non real problem means that if another event occurs that might trigger the triangle it could be missed.

    Overall I like the OEM system. It's nice to be able to get an idea if pressures at high elevations on hot roads and such. If I didn't have it I think I would probably add something.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkruger View Post
    The one thing I like about the OEM system is also something I don't like about it.

    If pressure drops to whatever the system thinks might indicate a problem it illuminates the warning triangle on the dash. That's typically great as you hopefully learn about a potentially developing problem before handling suffers. When it is less than great is when the integrated batteries start to fail it will also illuminate the triangle. I had that happen during a trip and would reset it with my GS911 but it would come right back. My concern is that having the triangle on continually for a non real problem means that if another event occurs that might trigger the triangle it could be missed.

    Overall I like the OEM system. It's nice to be able to get an idea if pressures at high elevations on hot roads and such. If I didn't have it I think I would probably add something.
    I also have the oem sys. How do you change out the batteries and what is the number for the batteries?
    Bernie

  12. #12
    Touring Rider GRLambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Posts
    148
    ... and how long do they typically last?
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2016 R1200RT

  13. #13
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,935
    The OEM replacement sensors run about $149 each, not designed to be serviceable. Have seen some live five years, others gone in two seasons.

    There are folks who have taken the unit apart and replaced the button battery, some have destroyed the plastic case trying.

    Old thread from adv site:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-27797181
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  14. #14
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    The OEM replacement sensors run about $149 each, not designed to be serviceable. Have seen some live five years, others gone in two seasons.

    There are folks who have taken the unit apart and replaced the button battery, some have destroyed the plastic case trying.

    Old thread from adv site:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-27797181
    One more reason for me not to go OEM for the TPMS

    I'm not ready to spend over $300 every couple of years on new new modules because the batteries dies. (It's like buying $300 batteries)

    This is the complete list of material needed for a retrofit (Includes alarm system which is on the same module)

    Order from Endras Motorrad. (Canada)

    The items in your Order are:
    Quantity Product Stock Number Price EA

    1 Control unit for alarm system/RDC . 433MHZ65758544716 $346.68
    2 Remote control . 433 MHZ65752337407 $73.85
    1 Battery . 3V65752337504 $5.50
    4 Screw . M4X10,507147119858 $2.23
    1 RESISTOR . 120 OHM61137668405 $10.00
    1 Bracket, control unit65757729041 $18.00
    1 Sensor with valve . RDC36318532731 $185.00
    1 Sensor with valve . RDC36238521797$180.00


    Your order summary:8 products, 12 items $901.80
    Shipping To QC, Canada$ 0.00
    Total $ 901.80
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2019 R1250RT - 2007 R1200RT (186,000 km) - IBA # 56396

  15. #15
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    One more reason for me not to go OEM for the TPMS

    I'm not ready to spend over $300 every couple of years on new new modules because the batteries dies. (It's like buying $300 batteries)

    This is the complete list of material needed for a retrofit (Includes alarm system which is on the same module)
    $10 for a 120 Ohm resistor? I'll sell them for $5 every day of the week (cost is about $0.10..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •