Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine block heater?

engine block heater?

for an r100 /7?

Easy

It's called a garage.

On thinking about it there are all manner of heated blankets, dog beds, dipsticks etc. that may address your issue. Here on the left coast we really don't have any right to needle anyone about real cold.

BMWRich58
    Buy one of those Heated Dipsticks used for heating the engine oil in cars.

Why? Just wondering.

Club President Emeritus chrishea's Avatar

Sterno

For a really cold morning, put a lit can of Sterno under the oil pan for 5 min or so, that may help out somewhat on getting that cold stiff oil moving. Sterno is fire, so don't burn your bike down.

Chris
    Chris

I used to use one of those magnetic heaters on a R80RT. There was nothing magnetic to stick it too on the bottom of the engine, so I used a piece of light metal with just the right bend to hold it above the centerstand and against the oil drain plug. It heated the oil up pretty good.

In all honesty

The cold weather has turned the crank case oil to the viscosity of peanut butter. Change out to a light weight oil. This will do a lot to help the bike start. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Perhaps if the bike is too cold to start, it is trying to tell you something ("I want a R1200GS to keep me company")

its in the garage. i was going to stick a small space heater next to it. she wont start if its cold out, or even chilly, even with a full charge on the battery.

Change to synthetic oil. 5W50 or 5W40 will work GREAT.
    Click here for Tales of Motorcycles and Life
    - BMW MOA Lifetime Member #18854

good call on the oil, i will have to do that. but i think there is something wrong with the ignition/starter system, because the bike had problems starting in 60, 50, and 40 degree weather when it was cold. when it was hot it had no problems. now that its in the teens and 20s *F outside, no chance in starting it unless i heat up the block somehow.

Try pulling in the clutch lever when you crank the starter. Reduces the drag by not turning some of the gears through the tranny oil. Every little bit helps...

Kurt in S.A.

yeah i forgot to mention that i do that too

bmdubyou

propane torch

Quote Originally Posted by 62401
    For a really cold morning, put a lit can of Sterno under the oil pan for 5 min or so, that may help out somewhat on getting that cold stiff oil moving. Sterno is fire, so don't burn your bike down.

Chris

on a really really cold day use a blow torch....that'll really get things moving.

disclaimer: dont try all the things you read on here unless you dont mind experimenting on a bike you dont care about.
    In all seriousness, if nothing else, try a shop lite with a 100watt bulb or a heat lamp perhaps...cheap and something you already have in the garage. but it seems that you have other issues to deal with as well. (I just dont think open flames seems like a good idea).

...and your sure it's not the battery? It would seem that a less-than-stellar battery would not have quite the starting power once it got cold-soaked. Can you easily remove your battery and store it inside until you need it? Maybe just as an experiment... That would eliminate the battery as the culprit...

Kurt in S.A.

the battery is 2 months old, it holds a high charge. my generator is f'd, so the battery gets no charge when im riding, i have to charge it every night, but thats a whole nother story, unrelated to the starting problem. ill be taking the battery inside once i can actually move the bike, but that involves starting it first.
    i think ill skip the blowtorch, but the heatlamp is a good idea.