• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'95 K75 tank bag recommendations

stagewex

I am doing a road rally this coming weekend and I'm considering using my new-to-me K75. Last evening I was checking the heated-gear pigtails on all the bikes, tire pressure, etc and went to see how my magnetic map holder will sit for the route sheets I'll be using. HaHa on me, I didn't realize that the tank was plastic as I know the rt's that I have had in the past didn't go from metal to plastic until 1996.

So I think I'll invest in a light tank bag with the map pocket. I looked at RKA and Wolf and a bunch of others at Revzilla. A lot of them are very "sloopy" and primarily for adventure riders with angled fuel tanks. The ones that look like they would sit best horizontally are huge.

What do you guys use and like? This would be for a 1995 K75. Priority would be full clear map pouch that can accept an 8 X 11.5 document. Basically regular letter type paper. And of course... it has to be the strapping kind.

Thanks,
mike wex

I'm considering using my new-to-me K75. Last evening I was checking the heated-gear pigtails on all the bikes, tire pressure, etc and went to see how my magnetic map holder will sit for the route sheets I'll be using. HaHa on me, I didn't realize that the tank was plastic

Actually the K75 tank is aluminum.

It's getting harder to find tank bags with a larger map window.

Not sure if it's still made but on day rides I use a Bag-Connection Trip QL bag with a detachable map holder.

Trip6.jpg

Trip3.jpg

Bag-Connection uses a quick release system. Here's what the old style ring looks like.

Trip4.jpg

Actually the K75 tank is aluminum.

It's getting harder to find tank bags with a larger map window.

Not sure if it's still made but on day rides I use a Bag-Connection Trip QL bag with a detachable map holder.

Trip6.jpg

Trip3.jpg

Bag-Connection uses a quick release system. Here's what the old style ring looks like.

Trip4.jpg

That looks so much more convenient than the OEM tank bag that I use on my K100!! :thumb

I don't think that Bags Connection has a ring that will work with a K75. I use a Nelson Rigg on my K1100. Nice bag, USA made and a great warranty. Good company to work with.
Jeff

Thanks guys. Just my luck I actually have a metal tank but it's aluminum.
Main idea was basically a map pouch that could display up to and including an 8 X 11 document. Like they used to make. The add-on type to the top of your tank bag Lee would be perfect. But I don't really need the bag at all. Ironically the stand alone map & document holders that I've found are all the magnetic type and I already have one of those.
Most bags no longer come with such a full-size one because of GPS. Map reading will be relegated to Old Farts like me and maybe hikers.

I found a kayak/marine map & chart pouch on Amazon that will work fine for a few bucks. I'll try it out and take my time looking at a real tank bag if I think I really need one. I had one of those smaller quick disconnect to a collar at the fuel bung on my 1996 r1100rt that was great. As opposed to the strap and clip type.

This (click on the link) will work for me with 4 mini bungee cords. Medium size is a bit bigger than 8 X 11:
http://www.amazon.com/SealLine-SLMA..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=058KPFBFE2KSH9ECGKE9

This is what I do have. Its from DOWCO (Iron Rider is one of their brands) from my Harley days. Magnets are so strong it'll cure arthritis. Works great on the tank of my 1969 r60/2 but I'm not taking that bike out on an all night road rally in the middle of Winter just because the tank is steel.
IMG_1646.jpg

Darn it, would be perfect for the K75 tank if aluminum worked with magnets.
IMG_1645.jpg

Just as in "Apollo 13" gaff tape has usually been the solution of choice as seen here on my Ural. But I'd like to "class it up" a bit this year.
IMG_0648.jpg

Could you find someone to make you some straps that have metal inserts sewn in so that you could use your existing magnetic map pocket?

Good idea. Well, just in case the map pockets don't get here on time I'm bringing the magnetic one to work tomorrow. We have a grommet machine in the shop. I'm going to put a few of them on each side without disturbing where the magnets are located. That will work too and I can still use it on other bikes without ruining the piece I hope. If little bungies don't work they sell those straps and quick disconnects at True Value or The Container Store.

Just my two cents, I've been using a givi magnetic tank bag on my r80 and cb750 and its destroyed the paint on both tanks. Grit gets trapped between the magnetic tabs and the metal, scratching the paint when you pull it off. Be warned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back