Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colorado in late May or June

Colorado in late May or June

My bother and have been talking about making the trip, we will have 7 or 8 days. Just looking for suggestions on roads, thought we might try to come in on the south and go out on the north. Maybe some mild dirt, bike needs to make it back home in one piece . Also there is just not a good way to get there from AL.

Get a Butler map for Colorado. That will give you tons of information on the types of roads you like. Once you figure out your route, you can use the Internet to fill in the details for food and the lodging type of your choice.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2016 R1200RT

There is no good way to get there from Alabama.
    Other than just come from the south.
    As to roads, get the Butler Motorcycle map for Colorado.
    As to the state, draw a line north and south that intersects Denver. Then stay to the west of that line at all times.
    Then try all the highlighted roads on the Butler map, and maybe a few not on it, just for the sake of getting to the other ones.
    There is also one small stretch of freeway, 70, that goes through or just to the east of Glenwood Springs that is worth it, but also from Denver west on 70 is nice really out to Vail or so, but then also the Glenwood Springs area. Denver west on 70 will take you thru' the Eisenhower Tunnel, which is ok, but don't neglect the many passes to the north and south on the old roads, the ones used before there was a 70.
    And dress warm, you might have snow, rain, ice, etc. I have.
    dc
    Let me add some cities. Durango, Silverton, Georgetown, Estes Park, and Cortez, from whence you should ride north east to Telluride, I forget the road number, oh 145. Maybe Salida. There is a scenic train to the west of Salida and an unusual bridge.
    One really nice train runs from Durango to Silverton and back, on steam.
    Some will mention Aspen. Don't bother. Tourist trap, ski town.

Quote Originally Posted by kskraye View Post
    My bother and have been talking about making the trip, we will have 7 or 8 days. Just looking for suggestions on roads, thought we might try to come in on the south and go out on the north. Maybe some mild dirt, bike needs to make it back home in one piece . Also there is just not a good way to get there from AL.
    Where in AL you leaving from? You think you might want a riding partner?
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Check the road conditions to make sure the routes you pick are open.
    One year in early June we had snowmobiles running next to us in the road ditch on Hwy 14. Cameron Pass on Poudre Canyon Rd is not very high, a little over 10,000 feet.
    We've been in Colorado in early June several times without any problems, but you really need to check the high passes. They don't run plows up those bike and jeep trails
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but on another thread, I extolled the virtues of planning. PM me if you need a riding partner. Contrary to dc's deceleration regarding no good roads from AL... I know a few.

Disclaimer: I have a full time job, I don't know the details of your adventure, and I'm not rich, that said, I would love to go on an adventure.
    Last edited by rangerreece; 01-12-2016 at 03:56 AM.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Also there is just not a good way to get there from AL.
    You have several good options on the way.
    Texas Hill Country,NW Arkansas, and Northern New Mexico.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Where in AL you leaving from? You think you might want a riding partner?
    Tuscaloosa area.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but on another thread, I extolled the virtues of planning. PM me if you need a riding partner. Contrary to dc's deceleration regarding no good roads from AL... I know a few.

Disclaimer: I have a ful time job, I don't know the details of your adventure, and I'm not rich, that said, I would love to go on an adventure.
    My brother and I both work and that is why it needs to be 7 to 8 days. He is a police and I'm a game warden.

Quote Originally Posted by GRLambert View Post
    Get a Butler map for Colorado. That will give you tons of information on the types of roads you like. Once you figure out your route, you can use the Internet to fill in the details for food and the lodging type of your choice.
    Never heard of a Butler map, but will look into that.

Never heard of a Butler map, but will look into that.
    https://www.butlermaps.com/motorcycl.../colorado-map/
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Tuscaloosa area.
    Roll Tide!!! Watching the game, as we post. Let me know if your up for company. Gotta put in leave and such.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Ouray is not to be missed.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison - beautiful and unique place. Great twisty ride on the north side - CO 92. Another I like is CO 14 to/from Walden & Fort Collins - twisty and scenic river canyon riding and not a lot of traffic. Traveled through Colorado last year - great ride. May-June might be too early for a few high passes. Trail Ridge Road was beautiful and fun. Yes, Ouray and Million Dollar Highway was good too. Avoid Denver.

A great cell phone app to have is the CDOT (Colorado Dept of Transportation) Mobile App. It will give you near real-time road information - weather, traffic, construction, accidents, etc. It is available for IOS (Apple) and Android.
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, and '16 R1200GSA (wife's)

Suggestion

Track down, or buy a copy of Steve Farson's book. Not sure but I think he's a "participant" here. Be warned, you CANNOT see all of the good riding roads in CO in a week - choose wisely!

Regards, Marty
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"