Thread: Looking for Dirt Roads in Western Virginia and West Virginia border area

adkf800gs

Looking for Dirt Roads in Western Virginia and West Virginia border area

I am looking for dirt road routes in Western Virginia and the West Virginia borders area near Burnsville VA and Harrisonburg VA. We hope to ride for a week in late April of 2016, and are looking for suggested dirt road routes in a 300 mile radius of these areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mark
    Adirondack Mountains
    f800gs

Here's a good one.... this is a mix of paved and dirt. Let me dig around a little, I probably have more.

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsturges View Post
    I am looking for dirt road routes in Western Virginia and the West Virginia borders area near Burnsville VA and Harrisonburg VA. We hope to ride for a week in late April of 2016, and are looking for suggested dirt road routes in a 300 mile radius of these areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Welcome to the forum Mark, where you been
    From what I hear, the riding in that area is great.
    Enjoy the trip.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Pick up a couple DeLorme Gazetteers for VA and WV, you will find plenty.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Here's another one that's near the area. Note that there are a bazillion other dirt roads around there. There are some even roads there that have county designations but are a tad challenging on heavier bikes.

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

These maps are outstanding for finding routes in WV:

http://www.transportation.wv.gov/hig...ountymaps.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by gmsturges View Post
    My experience with the dirt roads in these areas are that a lot of them end up in some ones front yard.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

I've ridden some of those roads you're looking for and there's some good'uns out there that range from really easy, groomed forest roads to some really gnarly, rocky, muddy challenges and everything in between. Take a look around the George Washington National Forest and specifically the Peters Mill and Taskers Gap trails for some of the more challenging. There's also a guy named Kevin that put up some free public domain type GPS tracks that go from NY to Tennessee. I rode his tracks from Northern Virginia to NC last year and it was an excellent ride. Just google gpsKevin TAT and you'll find the GPS files. If that doesn't get you going, then check out the Hatfield/McCoy trail system in West Virginia.
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red (for the epic road trips) (gone but not forgotten)
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray (for the track)
    2014 KLR 650, White/Black (for the TAT)
    2016 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)