• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Reputation

Wow. This is a BMW owners forum, right? And you are paying money to be here so you can what? Bitch?

Well I bought mine because I liked the ride. And I intend to put the 250k miles on it that it was designed to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too wonder why many are here. If I thought it was junk, I'd leave. Perhaps some of the posters need to get a real life.

Successful marketing and advertising is achieved by creating an illusion or a positive image about the particular product. Few corporations do a better job of this than BMW. The introduction video of the of 2005 R1200RT comes to mind. The video featured an attractive and obviously well to do couple touring through absolutely stunning scenery of Norway on the then all new R1200RT. All positive images with nary a failed final drive, leaky rear main seal or malfunctioning ABS system to be found. A non riding friend of mine saw the video and said it made him want to buy a BMW and learn to ride. That's pretty good marketing.

Precisely. That's the magic/illusion of great marketing.

Understand that, though too many here in the MOA have had to soldier on thru adversity, chronic breakdowns and a host of annoying issues and poor design, there are just as many (most likely, substantially more) that have enjoyed trouble-free operation of their BMW machines. Kudos to them! :german

And as for those who spotlight the flaws that need to be corrected, none of you "need to get a life." That's just a cheap shot.

After all, if the only purpose of this Forum is to brag and champion a certain brand of motorcycles and shout down the opposition, it doesn't really meet the definition of a 'forum' .......... then it's nothing more than a Pep Rally for BMW enthusiasts.

I'd like to think we've evolved beyond that. :scratch

Successful marketing and advertising is achieved by creating an illusion or a positive image about the particular product. Few corporations do a better job of this than BMW. The introduction video of the of 2005 R1200RT comes to mind. The video featured an attractive and obviously well to do couple touring through absolutely stunning scenery of Norway on the then all new R1200RT. All positive images with nary a failed final drive, leaky rear main seal or malfunctioning ABS system to be found. A non riding friend of mine saw the video and said it made him want to buy a BMW and learn to ride. That's pretty good marketing.

How ironic. That video was what what inspired me to ride, and not just ride, but ride a BMW, and not just a BMW but an R1200RT. I still watch it on occasion. The video also introduced me to Yo-Yo Ma. Also ironic, I just watched it again yesterday to reference it in an upcoming ON contribution I was working on for a couple of hours last night.

For the record my final drive did fail but did not leave me stranded. (I've always rode my bike to the dealer for major repairs, it was only trailered once after I got runned over) I had the rear drive replaced several years ago by the dealer, at what would have been no cost but I did get 50,000 miles on it, before it went bad, so I was ok with paying $650 for a $2500 brand new final drive with the steel verses aluminum flange. My fuel flange cracked, did not leave me stranded, BMW replaced for free, my fuel strip failed, BMW replaced for free... The only time a BMW left me stranded on the road was when a truck pulling a back hoe on a trailer ran over the front end of my bike as it was performing a so called "legal" u-turn. Purchasing a BMW motorcycle, and now an F650GS and a 328i are some of the best decisions and investments I've ever made.

Last edited:

Understand that, though too many here in the MOA have had to soldier on thru adversity, chronic breakdowns and a host of annoying issues and poor design, there are just as many (most likely, substantially more) that have enjoyed trouble-free operation of their BMW machines. Kudos to them! :german

And as for those who spotlight the flaws that need to be corrected, none of you "need to get a life." That's just a cheap shot.

After all, if the only purpose of this Forum is to brag and champion a certain brand of motorcycles and shout down the opposition, it doesn't really meet the definition of a 'forum' .......... then it's nothing more than a Pep Rally for BMW enthusiasts.

If you get a chance, take some time to look through the Tech Forums (and sub-forums). We have som Members doing great things. From general DIY maintenance to making the latest electronics intergrate with existing systems. One of our Members just took the effort to produce a pictorial on the service of F-700 front forks.
If you don't get to see what else is going on in the rest of the forum, your probably missing out.
Gary

Wow. This is a BMW owners forum, right? And you are paying money to be here so you can what? Bitch?

Well I bought mine because I liked the ride. And I intend to put the 250k miles on it that it was designed to do

Are you new to the Internet in general...and this site specifically? By your count I have to think yes regarding the site. However, you catch on fast, 10th post and you're already "bitching" about something. In this case bitching about people bitching. You'll fit right in.

Getting back to the original post -- and the link to the related article -- I suspect the conclusions about BMW being the world's top brand had little, or perhaps even nothing, to do with its motorcycles. I suspect this is true because so few people even realize that BMW makes bikes.

If you get a chance, take some time to look through the Tech Forums (and sub-forums). We have som Members doing great things. From general DIY maintenance to making the latest electronics intergrate with existing systems. One of our Members just took the effort to produce a pictorial on the service of F-700 front forks.
If you don't get to see what else is going on in the rest of the forum, your probably missing out.
Gary

Totally agree, Gary. There are some guys and gals on this Forum that rival BMW Master Tech's for expertise.

Just too bad that they're so sorely needed.

I agree that sometimes the 'chatter' drowns out other interesting topics, but "the squeaky wheel always gets the grease," and occasionally, that 'squeak' isn't a wheel at all. :nono

Are you new to the Internet in general...and this site specifically? By your count I have to think yes regarding the site. However, you catch on fast, 10th post and you're already "bitching" about something. In this case bitching about people bitching. You'll fit right in.

That's precious. :dance

Getting back to the original post -- and the link to the related article -- I suspect the conclusions about BMW being the world's top brand had little, or perhaps even nothing, to do with its motorcycles. I suspect this is true because so few people even realize that BMW makes bikes.

Getting back to the spirit of the original post, your comments make perfect sense.

Note BMW CCA's publication "Roundel" runs an ad for current Rebates on BMW motorcycles. Perhaps "ON" will have a list of BMW car Rebates, as a paid ad of course. Let's get that synergy going!

Reputations are hard to keep at a high level and quick to drop below perceived standards. I don't live and die nor make purchasing decisions with any survey, study or internet chatter.

BMW has been the trend setter for years and on occasion over farkle just to be the cutting edge they seem to strive for. Definitely some hits and misses thru the years. Who doesn't?

The Asian manufacturers cloned a lot of those advances, which is a good thing for many. The big 4 in that group are not without their issues. Have owned a few and know they are not bulletproof.

The Italians and Brits did their own thing and still have cloudy reputations for some of their products. How many still shy away from Triumph due to Lucas electrical issues or those drippy twins of yesterday?

I sit in the middle ( of course) as we own over a dozen bikes from 1967 to 2009. Currently all have the Roundel on the side. They are both pleasures and pains to own at times.Mostly pleasure if I do a spreadsheet of smiles to miles.
High performance "toys" require a lot of attention. Some have had minimal expensive issues, most have not and have never left us stranded...for long anyways. We double the chances by riding separate bikes. We went to Canada from Texas two summers ago with two 100K bikes and never thought twice about the choice. I don't think I could have done that on prior brands. BTW, not a single issue on that 3 1/2 week, 9K jaunt.

I could talk to any subset of riders at any local gathering and each group will bemoan their brand at some point. The Ducatistas make most here mild on the brand loyalty until they start talking maintenance costs...then I just chuckle. You want to play , you will pay at some point...unless you move to the next greatest model regularly...which a lot here do and there's nothing wrong with that approach if it works for you.

I bought my first BMW when I met a very adventurous talented rider who also owned one. I couldn't keep pace with her on the other brand I was putting around on. It was a year old 05 RT and in spite of the FD, antennae ring and the wheel flange issues I read about, I was impressed with the brand. Only my retirement purchase 09 GSA was bought new, the rest we have are pre-owned. Buyer beware has not scalded us on ANY of those machines.

Now I am riding that 118K GSA into Austin today to buy some bicycle parts...my two '95 vintage Cannondales need some attention...dang American and Asian parts wore out:scratch

Last edited:
I only buy BMW motorcycles because no other brand offers a bike with the attributes I desire. Those include, shaft drive, ABS, light weight, comfort, good handling, decent range and ease of maintenance.

If Honda made a bike that met my requirements that is what I would ride.

Reputation, I never really have understood how BMW has kept theirs. The list of major component failures on the 5 Oilheads I have owned is staggering. I went back to Honda for 5 years because of those failures. I came back not because of reputation; I came back for the reason stated above, no other manufacturer offered what I wanted. I returned fully understanding what I was getting into. Wouldn't you know it, my current BMW has been one of the most reliable bikes I have ever owned........crazy I tell ya, just crazy.:laugh

Well said.

It seems that some take criticism of the brand as a personal affront. Despite all the reverence I see for BMW bikes or cars for that matter, they still are just machines after all. Subject to the same laws of physics as any mechanical contraption. So if a manufacturer takes short cuts to rush a product to market and doesn't devote the necessary attention to quality control, problems will inevitably arise.

As for the suggestion by some that if you aren't part of the BMW "cheering section", to just stay away from around here, it's strange that when I was being solicited to renew my membership and clicked the tab to renew, I did not notice anything stating that by my renewal I agreed to never post less than flattering comments about BMW motorcycles.

BMW arguably is a leader of innovation and technology in the motorcycle industry. Placing a greater emphasis on QC and reliability would make them truly the Best Motorcycles in the World. :)

Well said.

It seems that some take criticism of the brand as a personal affront. Despite all the reverence I see for BMW bikes or cars for that matter, they still are just machines after all. Subject to the same laws of physics as any mechanical contraption. So if a manufacturer takes short cuts to rush a product to market and doesn't devote the necessary attention to quality control, problems will inevitably arise.

As for the suggestion by some that if you aren't part of the BMW "cheering section", to just stay away from around here, it's strange that when I was being solicited to renew my membership and clicked the tab to renew, I did not notice anything stating that by my renewal I agreed to never post less than flattering comments about BMW motorcycles.

BMW arguably is a leader of innovation and technology in the motorcycle industry. Placing a greater emphasis on QC and reliability would make them truly the Best Motorcycles in the World. :)

+1

It's an easy fix. If you don't want to break down, don't ride it. It's worked for me. :brad

Marketing 101: to satisfy customers you have to exceed their expectations. When you start off with the level of expectation that most BMW buyers have, it's bloody hard to do.

Marketing 101: to satisfy customers you have to exceed their expectations. When you start off with the level of expectation that most BMW buyers have, it's bloody hard to do.

How many Real Estate agents do you know? If most BMW customers were car-guys/gals and MOA members, I would agree with your comment. But, the vast majority of BMW customers are folks looking for image.

How many Real Estate agents do you know? If most BMW customers were car-guys/gals and MOA members, I would agree with your comment. But, the vast majority of BMW customers are folks looking for image.

I'm ashamed to admit that I have no idea what your talking about. Image? My GS is the least expensive toy I've ever owned but it sure is fun.

I find it most puzzling why this topic appears to have caused such upset and anger. Then again its not unusual for someone to write in how proud they are to own a BMW. It puzzles me to no end how a purchase decision can become a reason for pride. Its not like you built it, you just bought it! I have a GE fridge in the kitchen. I wonder if I should be proud to own it?

Back