• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Reputation

It's amusing that so many think of motorcycles when it comes to BMW's reputation. They don't hurt, but it's the cars ... including in today's political climate the i-cars.

But the motorcycle reputation isn't bad either

The world's police motorcycle
The bike to ride around the world
A serious world Superbike contender
A multiple Paris-Dakar winner

Name another motorcycle manufacturer that has done all that.

The "reliability" stuff is noise ... mostly for those feeling guilty ...

Before my time, I guess, but the combines of the '60s did have Chrysler flathead 6s. When the 300 arrived, it had a 327 Chevy smallblock.

There was a non-production diesel version of the Chrysler slant 6 which was viable, but never brought to market.

Source: Conversation with a Cummins Engineering Manager during a job interview in 1981...

Last edited:
I'm missing this one. What are the people who are irritated with BMW's obvious fall from grace in the reliability department feeling guilty about?

To some casting doubt on any facet of the BMW mystique is a heretical act of the worst kind. I've not suffered any major issues with our BMWs, but it is a flight of fancy to deny they exist to an unexpectedly high degree.

To some casting doubt on any facet of the BMW mystique is a heretical act of the worst kind. I've not suffered any major issues with our BMWs, but it is a flight of fancy to deny they exist to an unexpectedly high degree.

How do you, or any of us, know to what extent "major issues" exist "to an unexpectedly high degree"? Do you have access to BMW's warranty claims database? I assume you're basing that on anecdotal "evidence" from what you've read online (and perhaps in Consumer Reports).

How do you, or any of us, know to what extent "major issues" exist "to an unexpectedly high degree"? Do you have access to BMW's warranty claims database? I assume you're basing that on anecdotal "evidence" from what you've read online (and perhaps in Consumer Reports).

Over time on the forums, one can glean quite a bit of institutional knowledge from BMW AG. There have been some problems with the bikes, some major, some relatively minor. A lot of folks here post pictures of the problems, and in doing so the reader can see the structural causes of failures. The good news in my opinion, is BMW, unlike your cheaper brands, and yes they have been recalcitrant in the past, but today they are pretty good about owning up to their mistakes, especially safety related issues. Some folks on the site may be quick to disagree with me, but hey, that's been my experience, and my opinion.

I am not here to bash BMW motorcycles. I like them, I trust them and I've purchased six of them in the past eight years. I get irritated when folks bash the brand; I get equally irritated when other folks treat the brand as if it can do no wrong. There is enough information available to know that there are issues that exceed expectations. I know a couple of BMW service managers, I have many friends with BMWs, I'm on several forums and I think. For example, these areas come to mind: fuel strips, RT suspension, water pumps on multiple models and of course final drives. My next bike may very well be a BMW(RS!!!!), but I am a realist and acknowledge that there is a recent history of issues with quality control or engineering at BMW. Still a great brand that holds a special place in motorcycling. But some people remind me of those that continued to deny the harmful effects of tobacco regardless of the accumulated information. I also own a Yamaha FJR and a Super Tenere and they too are fine motorcycles with tremendously good reliability records. I enjoy owning both brands.

I am not here to bash BMW motorcycles. I like them, I trust them and I've purchased six of them in the past eight years. I get irritated when folks bash the brand; I get equally irritated when other folks treat the brand as if it can do no wrong. There is enough information available to know that there are issues that exceed expectations. I know a couple of BMW service managers, I have many friends with BMWs, I'm on several forums and I think. For example, these areas come to mind: fuel strips, RT suspension, water pumps on multiple models and of course final drives. My next bike may very well be a BMW(RS!!!!), but I am a realist and acknowledge that there is a recent history of issues with quality control or engineering at BMW. Still a great brand that holds a special place in motorcycling. But some people remind me of those that continued to deny the harmful effects of tobacco regardless of the accumulated information. I also own a Yamaha FJR and a Super Tenere and they too are fine motorcycles with tremendously good reliability records. I enjoy owning both brands.

If you could trim 100-lbs of weight from the FJR, I would strongly consider it. The New RS has some strong points, but the typical premium package is a grouping of foo-foo farkles that doesn't trip my trigger. So, if I want one, I'll either have to special order or get a great deal on one with the premium package. Since, the first possibility requires forethough and planning and the second is unlikely.....the new RS may be a long time in coming.

Exactly. :thumb

Now, go relax with a cigarette. :dance (LOL)

I am not here to bash BMW motorcycles. I like them, I trust them and I've purchased six of them in the past eight years.

I would humbly suggest that anyone who has bought that many BMWs, in that many years, has a perfect right to say whatever they want to, good or bad, about the brand.

Well Said!!!

E.

There was a non-production diesel version of the Chrysler slant 6 which was viable, but never brought to market.

Source: Conversation with a Cummins Engineering Manager during a job interview in 1981...

I wonder if it was better than the 5.7L GM diesel? :)

I also own a Yamaha FJR and a Super Tenere and they too are fine motorcycles with tremendously good reliability records.

That reminds me of a friend who owns a Yamaha FJR.

She was parked next to a BMW GS rider at one of those fund raising events. They started chatting and the GS rider with his poseur aluminum luggage popped open the lid and started in on all the roadside emergency items he carted along.

She just looked on in disbelief and said "what would I need all that for, I ride a Yamaha".

I had to laugh.

I wonder if it was better than the 5.7L GM diesel? :)

You mean the Olds 350 Diesel? That was the woeful tale that prompted the discussion........

The interview was for a job at a joint Cummins-Case facility to produce 4, 6 and 8-cyl straight engines using a common / modular 2-cylinder design. I don't know what happened with the venture. While Cummins survives, case has went thru several owners and, is likely, just a name plate, similar to Massey, etc.

Back