• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Reputation

You know, reading this forum, you'd think many of the people on it were led at gun-point to buy their BMW bikes. I belong to a few BMW bike forums and this is the worst -- in fact the only one -- for its level of negativity, whether it's the product, the HQ move etc., etc. Do you guys ever "listen" to yourselves? It wasn't always like this, but it sure has become rather off-ptting of late. I know I can easily solve that -- and I do -- by spending a lot less time around here. I mean, who wants the constant carping, whining, smugness and the like?

.... as a new guy here I haven't seen it yet... but I do know that this is my second Beemer and I regretted getting rid of my last GS and couldn't wait until I had another one...

I'll try not to be negative :)

I'm missing this one. What are the people who are irritated with BMW's obvious fall from grace in the reliability department feeling guilty about?

Those people are a miniscule minority, and likely a bit hysterical.

The guilt is simply in owning a motorcycle--any motorcycle--and in this case about the most expensive one. They are obviously nothing but expensive toys and our society has lots to criticize about that and lots of people can't help but listen. You don't see Porsche or Ferrari owners racked with guilt and complaining about time in the shop. The saddest thing I ever read is "had to ask the wife." And the stuff about "economic transportation" is delusional. Motorcycle forums are a psychologist's gold mine.

There is no "fall from grace," as BMWs were never more reliable than they are now. It's just the "older we get the better we were syndrome" that assigns legendary reliability to the old ones. They weren't.

There is no "fall from grace," as BMWs were never more reliable than they are now. It's just the "older we get the better we were syndrome" that assigns legendary reliability to the old ones. They weren't.

Maybe it is that the competition became much more reliable than it once was and BMW hasn't kept up enough with the rising expectations in that department to maintain a lead over the competition. I strongly suspect that a '71 airhead is much more reliable than a '71 CB450. I base this solely on the leaky turd of a Honda I once owned and the amount of time I spent working on it. I also think that gap (if there is one) is much less than it once was and probably won't really show up until you have a lot of miles on a bike and things like top end components start showing wear. BMW continues to push the envelope on innovative features, but the engineering and production dollars seem go toward the candy that can command a premium price vs nukeproof reliability that is hard to charge extra for. Customers also want light weight machines that perform better than the rider and have every imaginable electronic aid to help them ride better than they are capable of. I'm sure if there was a large customer base with sufficient disposable funds willing to shell out $15-20k for a perfectly reliable machine, BMW would put the time in to design and build it.

As I see it, bike design is one thing......Integrating sourced parts to make the bike perform as intended is another. Calling one bike a piece of crap or unreliable without seeing many of them (bikes) in the same failure is a bit narrow along the chart.
The recent shock problem on the Wethead was a failure of a sourced part. Yeah it stinks when it's your bike but BMW did as good could be done when the problem arose.
No one gets it right all the time. When I buy a product, I feel I should look at the track record of the company and go from there.
OM

Back