Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RT range

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Yeah I'd like to avoid that panic.
    BMARC - Sorry, I didn't want to engender panic. That photo was taken at the Nevada/Utah state line looking into Utah on US50 (aka "The Loneliest Road in America"). When I made it there was a gas station to my right which seemed to have lots of gasoline. However, I was heading west on my 2008 R1200RT and was only about 100 miles into my 300-mile expected range. My new RTW seems to get the same MPG, but the tank is smaller.

FWIW, US 50 is a pretty neat road, but not very twisty for sure.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

Marc,

I get 300+ with fuel to spare, consistently. If you're not getting darn close to 50 MPG during sustained open road operation, you may want to experiment with the gearbox. I find at 60-65 MPH the boxer is more efficient in 5th gear (especially using CC), I don't even use 6th 'til 70 MPH. I try to keep my RPM's in the 3800-4000 range. as much as possible.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    Marc,

I get 300+ with fuel to spare, consistently. If you're not getting darn close to 50 MPG during sustained open road operation, you may want to experiment with the gearbox. I find at 60-65 MPH the boxer is more efficient in 5th gear (especially using CC), I don't even use 6th 'til 70 MPH. I try to keep my RPM's in the 3800-4000 range. as much as possible.
    Hmmm never thought of that. As my bike is currently getting a brand new gearbox on BMWs dime ill have to wait a few weeks to try it. But I can say I've never gotten 300+ my last ride home from Nashville all highway I cruised about 70 to 75 mph in 6th, fuel light came on always between 225 and 250 miles.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

In the aviation world we have many sayings. This is one: there are three things you can't get back, runway behind you, altitude above you, or the fuel, you didn't take. As others have eluded on this thread get gas before you need it. The flip side, know beyond a shadow of a doubt when you need it.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

2015 shows 6.6 gallons usable, I average 42 mpg. So to make things simple I use 40mpg X 6= for a range of 240 miles, by that time I need a bladder break
    I always reset the trip minder at each fuel stop, keep track of miles ridden!!!

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    2015 shows 6.6 gallons usable, I average 42 mpg. So to make things simple I use 40mpg X 6= for a range of 240 miles, by that time I need a bladder break
    And that exactly what I do on the '05 except the range and mileage is a little better.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    I find at 60-65 MPH the boxer is more efficient in 5th gear (especially using CC), I don't even use 6th 'til 70 MPH. .
    Don't forget Marc will have speed limits of 70, 75 and 80 in the western states on his coast to coast ride.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I don't think running the tank dry is a good idea. Might cook the fuel pump.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    My last 3 tanks in my personal RT ('14) have been commuting, 20 miles city, 20 miles slab (at 90 mph going in, and about 12 mph coming home) a day, and my average has been 46.8 MPG. On extended open road I have logged averages of 48.8 to 52.4. In either case, I'm in no way prone to being particularly ginger with my throttle. I have gone 320+ miles on a tank, trip computer showing I have met or slightly surpassed my range to empty, and still had 2-3/10 of a gallon remaining. As a general rule, I keep my RPMS between 3800-4200 as much as possible. Higher RPM's at higher speeds in 6th gear don't seem to diminish the economy significantly, I regularly run between 75-90 MPH when conditions allow.
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Hmmm never thought of that. As my bike is currently getting a brand new gearbox on BMWs dime ill have to wait a few weeks to try it. But I can say I've never gotten 300+ my last ride home from Nashville all highway I cruised about 70 to 75 mph in 6th, fuel light came on always between 225 and 250 miles.

Are you using CC a lot? As convenient as it is, I find it really squashes fuel economy. I only use it for brief periods to give the right hand a short break.

I've never gotten that fuel economy and yeah in use CC a lot on long trips. As Lee said once I'm in Ohio and west I'll be running at 75 to 85 mph from tank to tank.
    The point of this thread isn't to debate when to get fuel, but when you need to ride 2900 miles in under 50 hours you want to stop as little as possible and make the most of those stops. Knowing I can safely stretch to 250 or 275 miles per tank over the span of the ride eliminates precocious time wasted needlessly that could be used for longer rest stops when compared to stopping every 225 miles.

On my run to Moonshine in April I may try keeping the bike higher in the rpm range and I may also try riding without the top case to see if it makes a significant difference in economy.

No top case does make a slight difference. If I had to guess an extra 10 miles per tank, as it will increase your mileage by about one mpg.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    No top case does make a slight difference. If I had to guess an extra 10 miles per tank, as it will increase your mileage by about one mpg.
    It's something. I'm also packing light. All my other trips on this bike I packed heavy, lots of clothes, gear and work carp like computer and chargers. I won't need nearly as much for this trip, a change of clothes, rain gear and a few tools/supplies that should help too.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by royaltyl View Post
    I don't think running the tank dry is a good idea. Might cook the fuel pump.

Larry
    I'm a fan of this concept as well. I have found running fuel tanks real low troublesome in one way or another. I'm usually thinking of "point of safe return" when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gas mileage has other factors to consider, such as wind my mileage goes down against a head wind plus which windshield I have on the bike (the Wunderlich deceases my mileage). Altitude make a huge difference. How much ethanol is in the gas, and I can add more factors like speed, RPM (around 4000 is best) to this list.

What we do know is it's a 6.6 gallon tank including a gallon reserve. My planning range is up to 250 miles.

Jay