• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet speakers

Music sounds great from my Nav5 to my SMH10: until I get rolling then it sounds lousy because of wind noise. It's fine for pottering around town.

Have you tried using good earplugs? I have a really loud wind roar on my F800GT w/ RF-1200 unless I use very good quality (Howard Leight MAX) plugs inserted only once per use, correctly inserted. They effectively filter out competing wind noise and audio quality is actually quite good as long as you don't have the SENA volume maxed, even in my very noisy environment. I'm using iPhone too though so maybe that's part of the better audio over Nav V--don't have Nav V yet.

• I use earplugs all the time.
  • Somewhere I heard that the correct volume for helmet speakers is the one that preserves your hearing in your garage with the bike off. If the sound pressure is high enough to damage your hearing in that environment, add wind noise and it'll damage your hearing faster. I'm distractable enough that having music all the time is a bad idea, so not having loud music available is actually good for me. YMMV.
  • I had an SMH10 that I could never connect to my 2015 RT although it connected to my 2012 K16 just fine. The connectivity issues are at the BMW end, they have proprietary Bluetooth tweaks to make the BMW communicator (made by Cardo) work with the wonderwheel. I don't have any problem on my GSA: phone to GPS to helmet. If I loaded the GPS with music it would probably work too but it's not important enough to me to try it.

Whar? Who told you this?

• . The connectivity issues are at the BMW end, they have proprietary Bluetooth tweaks to make the BMW communicator (made by Cardo) work with the wonderwheel.

• I can't imagine the wonderwheel is connected via Bluetooth or requires any Bluetooth tweaks. Does not make any sense at all.

As far as I can tell, the wonderwheel allows one to select songs from the source of music files (smartphone or even just a memory stick, which is what I use) but otherwise has nothing to do with the Bluetooth connection to a communicator. It does not allow me to control the volume of audio sent to the helmet speakers for example.

If you have some kind of authoritative link to details of this claim, please post them. I'd certainly have a look.

Helmet Speakers

I added a "UClear" bluetooth helmet speaker system to my Schuberth C3 and like it as there is no microphone boom you have to install as the microphone is integral to the ear speakers. Works fine. I also use etymotic musicians earplugs, www.etymotic.com, that work great in attenuating wind noise, but still allow you to hear traffic around you and your engine and high fidelity music. I like the Sena bluetooth system a little better, but did not like the microphone boom pushing into my chin.

I just bought a set of Bose QC20 noise cancelling earphones that appear to work great. They cancel the wind noise and give great music fidelity and you can hear traffic around you, plus they fit under my helmet just fine. Will see how long they stay charged. Love them. You do have to plug them into an iPhone, MP3, Android or other unit. If you buy them make sure they are set up for iPhone or Android. No intercom with this either, which can be a good thing!

Jeff Bernel
2016 R1200GSW
2012 K1600GTL

With a Schuberth

Jason
Go with the BMW comm system, you paid for the wonderwheel on your RT why not use it
By doing so if you later want to communicate it won't be necessary to buy another unit

Jim

If a Schuberth fits your head...

I wanted to go with the BMW comm system for the perfect linkup with the bike, but the Schuberth fit was a no starter.

For me Sena and Etymotic ear buds are the best setup I have found.

I've got a Sena SMH10 and use it on my Schubeerth C3, Arai Vector-II, etc., and the sound quality is fine for me, however, that might be due to partial hearing loss from riding years ago for long periods at high speeds w/o any hearing protection.

It is my understanding that the new Sena 10S and 20S have noticeably improved speakers over the SMH10 and that they are plug-n-play to retro-fit to the SMH10 it that helps anyone.

Back