Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Helmet speakers

Its been a little while since I checked in, but I talked with Sena, and simply asked if they have a product that will work with a 16 1200RT bluetooth for music in the helmet, and they said nothing they had would work well, and they would not recommend use of their product - talk to BMW. It would work, but be very poor quality. Again, lots of conflicting information on this topic. The suggestion for the $20 amazon bluetooth receiver sounds like it might be the best bet. I appreciate all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by carguyjason View Post
    Its been a little while since I checked in, but I talked with Sena, and simply asked if they have a product that will work with a 16 1200RT bluetooth for music in the helmet, and they said nothing they had would work well, and they would not recommend use of their product - talk to BMW. It would work, but be very poor quality. Again, lots of conflicting information on this topic. The suggestion for the $20 amazon bluetooth receiver sounds like it might be the best bet. I appreciate all the responses.
    This not only conflicts countless people who use a sena with a current BMW, self included, but the documentation sena has on thier site and in their user manuals in how to specifically connect the sena unit to a current BMW.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    I like these for many of the reasons pointed out in this thread.
    NoNoise Earplugs
    Same here, combined with my Bilt Bluetooth $199 helmet, it works great!

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Quote from Sena customer support

Hi,
    The SENA SMH5 will pair with your bike's Bluetooth, but due to the bike's too much volume it will distort the speakers on our headset even at the lowest setting. I would not suggest it. I would ask BMW about their System 6. I don't know of any other Bluetooth headset in the market with desirable quality.

Regards,
    Dean
    www.sena.com

You can see from this why I am confused with all the conflicting information.

Ed Kilner #176066
    Quote Originally Posted by carguyjason View Post
    Hi,
    The SENA SMH5 will pair with your bike's Bluetooth, but due to the bike's too much volume it will distort the speakers on our headset even at the lowest setting. I would not suggest it. I would ask BMW about their System 6. I don't know of any other Bluetooth headset in the market with desirable quality.

Regards,
    Dean
    www.sena.com

You can see from this why I am confused with all the conflicting information.
    "Bike's too much volume" might have made sense years ago with an analog connection between bike and headset. But, with a digital connection, the situation is a bit complicated. There is the bluetooth protocol to connect two units so bytes of data can go from and to the units, and an audio protocol that sends the audio and allows track control. One set of software at the bike, and another at the headset. Since my Cardo unit has great sound quality, according to my friend who needs no hearing aids and has a home theatre system to die for, I think the Sena guy is:

a) a technical wasteland
    b) denying Sena needs to fix its software
    c) both.
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Ed Kilner #176066
    Regarding those software modules, they fit into an architecture model that dates back to maye the late 70's. I have forgotten when it came out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

This article will tell you how it all is supposed to work. But, liberties are taken through laziness or ignorance.

It was supposed to be many layers so each could do a specific job and thus be easy to find a level that is not working right and fix it.

Takes discipline. Sigh.
    Ed

To answer the OP's question. Yes, there are several different helmet mounted speakers available. Amazon sells them at a reasonable pricing.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
    (Who watches the watchers)

Interphone 5FMC question

I bought the Interphone 5FMC and the speakers and microphone specifically for my C3 Pro. Looks like I might have to shave a little foam to get them to fit perfectly. Right now I can't get the left side pads to click back in with the speaker behind it. Really aggravating considering I spent a ton of money on the helmet and Bluetooth set up . Anyone else running the 5FMC?

Music sounds great from my Nav5 to my SMH10: until I get rolling then it sounds lousy because of wind noise. It's fine for pottering around town.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesevans View Post
    Music sounds great from my Nav5 to my SMH10: until I get rolling then it sounds lousy because of wind noise. It's fine for pottering around town.
    I also use a SMH10 with my 2015 Rt1200 and am very happy with the NAV5 and XM sound. You don't need to spend top dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesevans View Post
    Have you tried using good earplugs? I have a really loud wind roar on my F800GT w/ RF-1200 unless I use very good quality (Howard Leight MAX) plugs inserted only once per use, correctly inserted. They effectively filter out competing wind noise and audio quality is actually quite good as long as you don't have the SENA volume maxed, even in my very noisy environment. I'm using iPhone too though so maybe that's part of the better audio over Nav V--don't have Nav V yet.

• I use earplugs all the time.
    • Somewhere I heard that the correct volume for helmet speakers is the one that preserves your hearing in your garage with the bike off. If the sound pressure is high enough to damage your hearing in that environment, add wind noise and it'll damage your hearing faster. I'm distractable enough that having music all the time is a bad idea, so not having loud music available is actually good for me. YMMV.
    • I had an SMH10 that I could never connect to my 2015 RT although it connected to my 2012 K16 just fine. The connectivity issues are at the BMW end, they have proprietary Bluetooth tweaks to make the BMW communicator (made by Cardo) work with the wonderwheel. I don't have any problem on my GSA: phone to GPS to helmet. If I loaded the GPS with music it would probably work too but it's not important enough to me to try it.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Ed Kilner #176066

Whar? Who told you this?

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    [LIST]
    . The connectivity issues are at the BMW end, they have proprietary Bluetooth tweaks to make the BMW communicator (made by Cardo) work with the wonderwheel.
    I can't imagine the wonderwheel is connected via Bluetooth or requires any Bluetooth tweaks. Does not make any sense at all.

As far as I can tell, the wonderwheel allows one to select songs from the source of music files (smartphone or even just a memory stick, which is what I use) but otherwise has nothing to do with the Bluetooth connection to a communicator. It does not allow me to control the volume of audio sent to the helmet speakers for example.

If you have some kind of authoritative link to details of this claim, please post them. I'd certainly have a look.
    Ed

BernieND

Helmet Speakers

I added a "UClear" bluetooth helmet speaker system to my Schuberth C3 and like it as there is no microphone boom you have to install as the microphone is integral to the ear speakers. Works fine. I also use etymotic musicians earplugs, www.etymotic.com, that work great in attenuating wind noise, but still allow you to hear traffic around you and your engine and high fidelity music. I like the Sena bluetooth system a little better, but did not like the microphone boom pushing into my chin.

I just bought a set of Bose QC20 noise cancelling earphones that appear to work great. They cancel the wind noise and give great music fidelity and you can hear traffic around you, plus they fit under my helmet just fine. Will see how long they stay charged. Love them. You do have to plug them into an iPhone, MP3, Android or other unit. If you buy them make sure they are set up for iPhone or Android. No intercom with this either, which can be a good thing!

Jeff Bernel
    2016 R1200GSW
    2012 K1600GTL

With a Schuberth

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Jason
    Go with the BMW comm system, you paid for the wonderwheel on your RT why not use it
    By doing so if you later want to communicate it won't be necessary to buy another unit

Jim
    If a Schuberth fits your head...

I wanted to go with the BMW comm system for the perfect linkup with the bike, but the Schuberth fit was a no starter.

For me Sena and Etymotic ear buds are the best setup I have found.