Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Helmet speakers

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Jason
    Go with the BMW comm system, you paid for the wonderwheel on your RT why not use it
    By doing so if you later want to communicate it won't be necessary to buy another unit

Jim
    And if anyone wants one, I have a SRC system that fits in the Shuberth helmet. I have an extra one that was only used twice, my wife just didn't like it. She likes to ride without. She probably doesn't want to talk to me either, but never said that . It will fit a large men's SchubertH helmet. It is about four months old, and I'll let anybody have it for a good deal, just p.m. me.
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Love living and riding! aholgate's Avatar

BMW comm system

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Jason
    Go with the BMW comm system, you paid for the wonderwheel on your RT why not use it
    By doing so if you later want to communicate it won't be necessary to buy another unit

Jim
    Isn't it true that the BMW system only works with the Surberth helmet? When I bought my 15 RT I was going to get this helmet but it didn't fit my pinhead. I had to (great helmet by the way!) get the Arai so I wasn't able to get it installed.

Anyone do this for the Arai?

Ed Kilner #176066

Not true

Quote Originally Posted by aholgate View Post
    Isn't it true that the BMW system only works with the Surberth helmet? When I bought my 15 RT I was going to get this helmet but it didn't fit my pinhead. I had to (great helmet by the way!) get the Arai so I wasn't able to get it installed.

Anyone do this for the Arai?
    The SRC is made by Cardo, so any Cardo should work. My G9 works great.

BUT, the connection is Bluetooth, so Sena and other units will work fine.

You have lots of choices!
    Ed
    2015 R1200RT; 2011 R1200RT RIP; 2000 Triumph 900 (sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

I contacted Sena and they said their system would not work, or at least not very well at all, and I'd have to get BMW. Lots of conflicting information on this topic.

I use my sena with my 2014 RT every single ride without issue. Not sure what information you gave sena for them to say this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanli View Post
    When I used my Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (until recently) I had J&M hard-wired helmet speakers in my Shoei Multitech, and heard everything clear as a bell while wearing foam earplugs. Now that I updated to a Zumo 660, the helmet speaker volume was horrendously low. Even with all the volumes set at 100%, I could barely hear it. I just purchased a set of SPlug earbuds from www.Plugup.com, which serve as speakers and earplugs (so I now removed the helmet speakers & no longer need the foam plugs) and with the GPS volume set at 40-50% its perfect. Can't say why the audio-out volume is so much worse on a newer, more expensive GPS unit, but it is what it is.
    I have/had exactly the same set-up as above.
    J&M > 2720 > Zumo 660 all in a Shoei Multi-tec through a SENA SMH10
    However, the Zumo 660 output is more than adequate....even with earplugs...Go figure
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Good quality foam earplugs correctly inserted (Howard Leight MAX 33db NR, 3M 29db NR) effectively block out wind and other 'white' noise and in doing so music from helmet speakers actually work better, perhaps counterintuitively. I read that from another post and it makes perfect sense. When you have wind/engine/road noise some of those frequencies create interference w/ music or other audio.

If you're not interested in intercom this brand-new product looks quite enticing: https://www.headwave.de

Here's a comment from TAG re BT etc:

I had a long discussion with our engineers about pairing TĀG with your GPS (and pairing with GPS units in general).

If you're just trying to pair TĀG with your GPS and nothing else - it should work fine. Since the 390LM uses the A2DP Bluetooth Profile there shouldn't be any issues.

I think the confusion came from the fact that I believe the 390LM can pair with a headset and a phone simultaneously. The engineers are uncertain if that would work. Other navigation systems either don't have this capability or can potentially use other profiles for transmitting the audio directions.

If you're trying to pair TAG w/ BMW's BT, you could contact their tech department. This person's email came from: tobyhuang@gmail.com

I would have bought one, in fact I did and cancelled the order because Santa brought me a Sena SMH10R before the order I placed to TAG Headwave was shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by carguyjason View Post
    I contacted Sena and they said their system would not work, or at least not very well at all, and I'd have to get BMW. Lots of conflicting information on this topic.
    Did Sena tell you their unit would not work with the bike ,or with a Schuberth helmet? I have used my Sena 20 with my bike no problems (except occasional cut-outs) using a Nolan helmet. I just bought a new Schuberth C3 and have been told that the mount needs to be stuck to the side vs clamping to the rim because of the neck roll. Haven't checked that out yet.
    2014 R1200RT

SRC system

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    And if anyone wants one, I have a SRC system that fits in the Shuberth helmet. I have an extra one that was only used twice, my wife just didn't like it. She likes to ride without. She probably doesn't want to talk to me either, but never said that . It will fit a large men's SchubertH helmet. It is about four months old, and I'll let anybody have it for a good deal, just p.m. me.
    I might be interested. How do I p.m. you? (Excuse my ignorance)
    Joel

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jolev55 View Post

Joel
    I'm sending you a PM (private message) now. Watch in the upper right-hand part of the screen. Then click on it.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    The SRC is made by Cardo, so any Cardo should work. My G9 works great.

BUT, the connection is Bluetooth, so Sena and other units will work fine.

You have lots of choices!
    I have a Cardo G9 and it works great with my 2015RT

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by jolev55 View Post
    Joel
    Hi Joel, I sent you a PM, after Gary sent one to both of us.
    You can ring me at 604 258 8548 if that is easier.
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIGGIN View Post
    Did Sena tell you their unit would not work with the bike ,or with a Schuberth helmet? I have used my Sena 20 with my bike no problems (except occasional cut-outs) using a Nolan helmet. I just bought a new Schuberth C3 and have been told that the mount needs to be stuck to the side vs clamping to the rim because of the neck roll. Haven't checked that out yet.
    Yes, both the SMH 10 & 20 require use of the sticky pad that comes with the kit in order to be mounted on a Schubert or BMW System helmet. There is no way to clamp the unit on without perforating the neck roll to make a slot for the metal backing piece. Too bad because it is a neat kit. I attempted to do the mount myself just now and can confirm this.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Sena, Too Expensive If Just for Music Via BMW Bluetooth

Instead of an expensive com system where you don't use all the functions but just use the Satellite/bluetooth radio, check out Amazon in the Bluetooth receivers. I bought Senas for about $200.00 and jack up my helmet installing it. Bluetooth receivers I got from Amazon was $20.00. Small enough to put in the inside pocket of your jacket. You can use earbuds or helmet speakers.
    Save lot of time and money.
    Last edited by christopher1013; 01-31-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobzeliff View Post
    After all any speaker has to over come by a considerable amount the wind and other background noise to be heard. Music especially needs to substantially above (15 / 20 db) above the background noise to allow tonal appreciation.

I'm no audiologist (maybe some one on this blog is) but it seems to me that wind noise is 70-80db (maybe higher) levels in my helmet. Then you put in foam ear plug which attenuate 25db...so the noise is in the 45-55 db range. Still pretty loud!

Does this make sense?
    Not really, because sound 'power' which is a factor in hearing damage, is related logarithmically to dB rating, hence in your example the sound power at 80dB level is ~32x greater than one at 50dB. It's essentially like the Richter Scale (base-10 logarithmic) and while it's handy to have one number to discuss sound power the number has to encompass a big range of power, as with earthquakes, and so is prone to easy misinterpretation.

As a side point, the Howard Leight MAX plugs, only when properly inserted, are advertised as capable of a 33dB noise reduction. As far as music goes, very effective ear plugs do a great job IMO of masking competing noise from wind/engine/road, and so ultimately one get quite good audio thru them w/ helmet speakers, in fact much better than w/o earplugs properly inserted.