• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice needed re alternator Belt 2003 R1150gs

Mike Whitworth

Hi I am trying to replace the alternator belt on my 2003 1150 gs the one with the small balance wheel on the front of the alternator pulley. The new belt is the same No. as the one I cut Off but I am having difficulty getting the new one on . The Alternator is hard against the engine casing so I cannot get any more free play there I am trying to wind it on placing the belt over the alternator pulley and attempting to wind it onto the engine pulley by turning the engine with a spanner on the pulley nut !!!!!! What am i dong wrong ??
the Belt No. is 592 Elast belt I have thought I might have to resort to getting a slightly longer belt But surely I should not have to go that route ? HELP PLease
Happy New Year to Everyone
Mike

Hi I am trying to replace the alternator belt on my 2003 1150 gs ..... I am trying to wind it on placing the belt over the alternator pulley and attempting to wind it onto the engine pulley by turning the engine with a spanner on the pulley nut !!!!!! What am i dong wrong ??
the Belt No. is 592 Elast belt I have thought I might have to resort to getting a slightly longer belt But surely I should not have to go that route ? HELP PLease
Happy New Year to Everyone
Mike

Maybe someone has a kludge that let's you try that, but the proper method to change the belt is to loosen the three bolts that hold the alternator in place. The alternator will drop an inch or so and you can place the new belt over the pulleys. The you have to raise the alternator back up and tension it properly. Depending on the type of pulley system and belt you either tension it to a specific height or you tension it to a specific torque. Someone else will point you to the right page or video that shows the technique.

Edit: here is a link to an article on the BMWRA site on how each type of belt gets tightened.
http://bmwra.org/otl/alternator-belts/

Last edited:
The elastobelt is a bi**h to get on an 1150 because of the pulley flange. After fighting with mine, I found a post on AdvRider from Steptoe (confirmed by JvB) where he said that the older (non-elast) belts can be used on all 1150's and that's what I'll use next time.

The attached video shows a way to get an elasticized belt on using the back end of an adjustable wrench. I have used this technique twice now with great success. It kind of mimics the action of the special tool that BMW sells for this purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPTPN98x40

Dave McDougall
2011 R1200GS

:)

Back