Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The infamous R1200RT tool kit

Lee is correct Recce, you should carry a tire repair kit. What if you and your pink eared attack dog find yourselves stranded and no help is around on a sultry Alabama backroad? It takes a village, Recce... that and some plugs and an air pump.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Tire repair kit,
    It's crossed my mind, and I will consider your advice, seriously. My motivation for not getting it is to remove the capability of placing myself on potentially compromised tires. I've read too many ride reports that went something like... "After two hours of wrestling with that tire in the pouring rain, and placing it back on the bike (untorqued) we were finally on our way again, tired, cold, now in the dark we were looking for a hotel when the tire went flat again. I knew I should have changed out those high mileage tires before I rode 2000 miles to the national."

If I remove my capability of being stupid I can't be stupid even if I try. "Murphy proof" we used to call it in the army. But I see the validity of your scenario too. Right now it's just weighing the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by rangerreece; 01-01-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    If I remove my capability of being stupid I can't be stupid even if I try.
    For Heaven's sake Recce, you fly Army helicopters... that ship has sailed!
    Kevin Huddy

You can run over a nail with your brandy new, non-compromised shiny tires in the middle of nowhere too. A plug most likely will get you home, where you can order and install yet another new tire, just waiting for your next nail.
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana
    Moderator of www.Chromeheads.org

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    For Heaven's sake Recce, you fly Army helicopters... that ship has sailed!
    Your so funny
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanli View Post
    You can run over a nail with your brandy new, non-compromised shiny tires in the middle of nowhere too. A plug most likely will get you home, where you can order and install yet another new tire, just waiting for your next nail.
    Rinse and repeat Most my flats seem to occur on new shiny tires.

At least carrying a kit gives you options. I'll try a patch over wheel removal and find a guy any day ...lets not talk about tubed tires
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I get that, but if you recall, I mentioned middle of nowhere is not on my maps. If I get a wild hair and decide I need to earn my ranger tab again, I'll look at reconfiguring my kit.

I may regret it one day, but right now for tires, I'm leaning towards the cell phone option and the platinum membership MOA coverage as my solution. Over 100,000 miles without being stranded on the road with a flat, lends itself to that decision matrix. The one time I did have a flat, (not while riding) a plug or patch wouldn't have fixed the problem, the entire tire was compromised.

I used to own two 4 wheel drive pick up trucks. I paid a lot of money for that 4X4 capability. In 10 years of ownership, I could count the times I placed those trucks in 4 wheel drive on one hand. I paid through the nose in initial cost, maintenance, poor gas mileage, and insurance: moral of that story was tailor your kit, your vehicles, for your needs.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

You're 100% correct. To each their own. In all these years, I've used my fix-a-flat kit more times to help others than on my own bikes. Sort of like your battery booster. Sometimes (nah...always) feels good having just the right stuff with you to help out someone else in need. I hope neither of us needs any of our repair toolkits for a long, long time.
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana

You're 100% correct. To each their own. In all these years, I've used my fix-a-flat kit more times to help others than on my own bikes. Sort of like your battery booster. Sometimes (nah...always) feels good having just the right stuff with you to help out someone else in need. I hope neither of us needs any of our repair toolkits for a long, long time.
    Amen.
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I mentioned middle of nowhere is not on my maps.
    You're missing out on a lot of beautiful country.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece
    Over 100,000 miles without being stranded on the road with a flat
    Close to 700,000 miles combined for me and Debbie without being stranded on the road with a flat, but I still carry a repair kit, even on day rides close to home.

I don't understand why you carry a good tool and first aid kit, but noting for flats.

At least carry the kit in case you happen to find a fellow rider with a flat.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

So, tire repair kit, plugs and an air pump, any recommendations on brand or model?
    MOA # 143779
    BMW MOA Vice President

I have this Slime kit:
    http://www.amazon.com/Slime-50001-Po.../dp/B000M8SY0I

1.jpg

Just ditch the Slime Sealant and the cheesy pressure gauge, and add a reamer and these plugs and you're all set for about $30.
    2.jpg,2 - Copy.jpg

There is a Slime 40001 as well as a 50001 kit. Just verify...I think pump & accessories are the same, but one may come with the green slime & one may not.

Or, many rave about the Stop-N-Go Motorcycle Products here:
    http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/

This is their bike kit:
    http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/

When I have my BMW tankbag I carry a Slime Pump like the one Rocketman posted.
    When I use the small Bag-Connection tankbag I use a pump that I removed from a cheap Walmart pump.

Reece, if your bike has Canbus the accessory outlet probably run a air pump, but the battery pack you carry should work.

Here's a pic north of Big Bend NP where a friend plugged a flat on a K1200S but his bike would not run his tire pump. We ended up plugging the pump into Debbie's non canbus bike.

We were lucky to have the shade of a Border Patrol station to do the work.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Universally, from what I have read, the Cyclepump is the best there is for small 12v pumps.
    http://www.aerostich.com/cycle-pump-air-compressor.html
    I have a Slime and a Truck-Air (275psi) so far for 12v volt pumps and they both seem ok. I can recommend to run them-doing something, at least yearly to keep 'em limbered up.
    My intention is to get a Cyclepump for the ATV and also augment a product I am working on for the ATV market.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

If you have a SAE plug (Pigtail) attached directly to your battery for attaching a battery tender, then you can run the pump off of that connection. Ensure the line is fused. It appears the Slime kit comes with a SAE connection. I think the Slime pumps are fine for using as an emergency pump on your bike. If you intend to use it regularly to inflate your tires you chould consider something like a Cycle Pump (http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10...-ez-gauge.aspx).

SAEConnector_zpsscdgacue.jpg
    Kevin Huddy