• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The infamous R1200RT tool kit

rangerreece

RangerReece
Years ago, I remember somewhere on the forums, someone mentioning how weak and useless the R1200RT tool kit was. I've had mine since I owned the bike, a black leather pouch with a screwdriver, oil filler cap tool, spark plug wrench...

In short order I collected several tools as I needed them to get the majority of work done on the bike. Frankly I think the tool kit that came with the bike was awesome as it didn't have a lot of tools in it already and served as just the right size for me to customize my tool kit of woe.

I know a lot of BMW riders have panniers, top cases and tank bags for the sole purpose of carrying: 5L of BMW oil, OEM filters, 10 gallons of gas, every tool in a certified BMW service department mechanic's tool chest to include the full size diagnostic computer, extra rear drive, torque wrench, and a tooth brush...

However, my tool kit has never failed me. Minus the torque wrench and the illum works oil filter cap, I actually do most of my services in the garage with the kit.

Though the flashlights are kept in the tank bag I consider them an integral part of the kit.
I was wondering if anyone wanted to compare tool kits, and remember, size doesn't matter.

image.jpgimage.jpg

you should see the OEM too kit on a S1000R!!!! ONE #25 Torx wrench, ONE double-ended screwdriver that doubles as a 8 &10mmd driver.....

oh yeah....and you better have a MOA Premium Road Side Assistance and AAA card....LOL

A few basic tools are stored under the seats.

Tools_1_.JPG

Tools_2_.JPG

Tire repair kit, air pump, llights, hex tools, and misc items in the tank bag.
Eagle_Creek.jpg

Front axle tool is under the seat in the tray with the TPM unit.
axle_tool_3.JPG

axle_tool_2.JPG

Jumper cables are under one of the side trim panels.

You know Lee you bring up a good point, I carry a micro jump battery every where I go. I never used on my own bike but have on many others on the side of the road.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Some basic tools.
I've cut down a few items.
Tire repair kit is stored separately.

Tools.jpg

Everything folds up nicely.
ToolBag.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget your cell phone. .

One more item I carry in my tank bag is a phone charger I can plug into the bike.

One of my friends broke down one night on the interstate and he was put on hold several times for long periods while trying to arrange for the tow. His phone was almost dead by the time he got a tow lined up.

DSCN3957.jpg
Valve core removal tool, front axle removal tool and various sockets stay in tool bag under seat.

DSCN3958.jpg
Spark plug/coil puller, oil cap removal thingy, and SAE/USB charger (for cell phone) stay together in the radio storage compartment.

Slime air compressor and tire repair kit stay in the side case.

I don't know what that is but your kit had zip ties in it. Something I didn't think to carry and will put in my bag when I get home tonight. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Cross pollinating going on here.

Last edited:
Back