Thread: 2016 1200RT mirror fell off

2016 1200RT mirror fell off

With less than a couple hundred miles on my new 1200RT, the right side mirror glass just flew off while riding. Anyone heard of this being a problem? I'm hoping I can self install the replacement to avoid a trip to the dealer.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    A 2016 is still under warranty so you should be fine. I'm not familiar with the mirror configuration on that bike, maybe you could do the mirror transaction UPS if you can't get to the dealer?
    I think your bike is a Wethead, so one of us will move this to Wetheads later.
    Hate to have you loose track of your 1st post
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thank you - new to forum's in general so was not sure where to post it, and I surely would not know how to move it!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carguyjason View Post
    Thank you - new to forum's in general so was not sure where to post it, and I surely would not know how to move it!

Moving and rearranging is something us Moderators do
    If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I'm fairly certain you can't do anything without returning to the dealer. They usually don't just give out warranty parts. You have to go in and have them do it.
    I have heard of some falling off on older bikes, not the 2016. But not a lot.
    dc

May I suggest one possibility:
    The mirror was broken by someone during transit to or at the dealership. They tried a quick fix which obviously didn't work.
    If this is the case, I would examine the bike and also have the dealership carefully check the bike for signs it was dropped and improperly fixed. There might be other hidden damage.
    I once took delivery of a refrigerator where someone along the supply line tried to hide damage from a drop and getting everything made right was a long and painful process.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
    May I suggest one possibility:
    The mirror was broken by someone during transit to or at the dealership. They tried a quick fix which obviously didn't work.
    If this is the case, I would examine the bike and also have the dealership carefully check the bike for signs it was dropped and improperly fixed. There might be other hidden damage.
    I gotta say, that's one heckova leap.

I disagree - my 1150RS was damaged slightly before I picked it up, but fortunately the dealer not only fessed up, they called me to tell me about it and it was going to take an extra day or two for them to make it right.

I doubt BMW wants to provide you multiple free mirrors and will insist on dealer installation to ensure it's done correctly and any other defective parts are identified.

"Avoiding dealer" is a really, really bad idea. Always.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

The mirrors are supposed to be tethered to the bike so they can't fall to the ground. A trip to the dealer is in order.

Pete
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    2015 R1200RT

mirror fell off

Dealer says, as suggested above, they have to install, and it will take a week or two to get the mirror from Germany. Some unseasonably warm weather predicted again this weekend, so I'll try to attach some sort of mirror so I can ride before winter finally sets in. The dealer as part of the sales pitch said they offer free pick up for service if bike can't be ridden. I think riding without a mirror probably qualifies for not being ridable.

Doubt if just the mirror glass can be ordered, my guess entire mirror
    The mirror glass on the back looks like a ball that fits into a socket that has a clamping spring around it
    I wouldn't be happy with just changing mirror, loose socket and it could happen again