• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nitrogen instead of air

Downside? Typically the rip-off cost. Advantage - leaks less through crappy rubber. Not a big deal. Less pressure change - only because it is dry. Dry air will do the same.

Bottom line. I like 78% nitrogen in my tires.

Edited: 78%, not 82%, my memory from 1960 failed me.

Here in Florida, my tires lose about a pound per month if I ride or not. I check them regularly and I inflate to the pressure that I found to work with the least amount of cold/hot swing. It's hard to find dry air here in the tropics.
The tech at the local Costco will put the nitrogen in for nothing so the cost is reasonable.
Thank you for the response.

It's free at Costco.

Because it's a larger molecule there is less permeation or diffusion of the molecule thru the rubber. It is also dry. The culprit is water vapor. To get dry air out of a compressor you need to have a dryer attached usually found in medical or dental grade compressors. (water in air lines in a dental office is a no no) . Most shops just don't bother.

One can never get all the water vapor out of a tire unless it is mounted under "ideal" conditions, but using nitrogen significantly affects the percentages

I put my life on two wheels when I ride. I'll take any advantage I can get.

Gonzo,
Thank you for your reply. That was what I was wondering about. I just want to minimize the loss of air pressure. It looked to me that it may be a solution.

Sent this to Sue

Gruesome,

Thanks for graph. At conditions where Nitrogen might be a factor, I'm certainly not getting out of the car or truck to worry about it, unless I have to.....
View attachment 53695

For those of you with little experience with people who KNOW that they are correct, they do not respond well to any science which disputes their view.

Her dog loves me, so she is not going to stop talking to me.

BMW being a "luxury brand", doesn't it really deserve the best air in it's tires?

16856_304392137025_5057526_n.jpg

"Freshly packaged on Druidia, Perri-air promises the most luxurious ride your tires can produce". Outta the way Nitrogen, it's Perri-air or nothing.
:)
OM

LOL! Now that's funny, says it all.

Sue's response

My neighbor is a retired high school science teacher. When confronted with the graph, she sent me this response;

"Nitrogen is steadier…amount of it in tires does not go down over time.
It also doesn’t vary when temperature goes way up or way down.
These are my reasons for using it."

So there she was, confronted by the evidence that her Honda would not experience any conditions in which Nitrogen would make a damnded bit of difference in her tires and she still stuck by her "science".

There are some people you simply cannot argue with because they will not accept facts.

Conclusion...

Well I am guessing that unless the air can be evacuated from the tire before the nitrogen is used, it looks like there is no real advantage. Dry air is the key. Also, if you have to top up the pressure with regular old air, it defeats the purpose.

Thanks to all for the contributions.

This is almost as entertaining as: "Which tires should I use?" or "Which oil is better?"

No, its much better. Ninety-three posts on "What air should I use?" says a bunch about what time of year it is. At least with Oil and Tires, there's a number of choices.

We can only be thankful that most of our bikes don't need chain lube. :laugh

No, its much better. Ninety-three posts on "What air should I use?" says a bunch about what time of year it is. At least with Oil and Tires, there's a number of choices.

We can only be thankful that most of our bikes don't need chain lube. :laugh

Social faux pas, I do fear.

This is almost as entertaining as: "Which tires should I use?" or "Which oil is better?"

Well, not quite. My understanding is that our tires are a LOT better than they were 20-30 years ago, with lots to learn about is best for our particular bikes and needs. Engines tend to last a lot longer too - probably because of both closer tolerances and better oils. Again, plenty to learn. Nitrogen vs air in tires? Pretty safe to remain a Neanderthal on this subject. But, when there is a foot and half of snow on the ground...

If only they made some sort of 100% dry nitrogen pressurized aerosol can infused with atomized rubber conditioning agents. I could use that in conjunction with my dyna beads and my tires would be perfectly balanced and last for 50,000 miles.

If only they made some sort of 100% dry nitrogen pressurized aerosol can infused with atomized rubber conditioning agents. I could use that in conjunction with my dyna beads and my tires would be perfectly balanced and last for 50,000 miles.

That is a great idea for a new product!!

BUT...it is really the second step.

The first step is to get ALL the nasty, dirty, wet air out of the tire. You need to have a vacuum pump to suck it all out. Suck on that tire so it looks like a dead dehydrated earth worm wrapped around your wheel.

THEN you can add you 100% dry Nitrogen with exclusive propriety atomized rubber conditioning agents!

That is a great idea for a new product!!

BUT...it is really the second step.

The first step is to get ALL the nasty, dirty, wet air out of the tire. You need to have a vacuum pump to suck it all out. Suck on that tire so it looks like a dead dehydrated earth worm wrapped around your wheel.

THEN you can add you 100% dry Nitrogen with exclusive propriety atomized rubber conditioning agents!

Tubes..........We knew we'd be back! The prophylactic guarantee to insure a 100% nitrogen ride............

Back