• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally dates and location

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings,

We are working on setting up the webpage for the 2006 International Rally and will have some information posted shortly.

In the mean time we offer the following:

VERMONT
It's not flat

The 2006 MOA International Rally will be held at the Champlain Valley Exposition Center in Essex Junction, Vermont. Essex Junction is just outside of Burlington. There is plenty of incredible riding in every direction along with the necessary services to support our event.

Gates will open on Thursday July 20th at 8 am. The rally ends Sunday July 23.

We would like to cordially invite you to come to Vermont early and enjoy the roads and secnery of New England. We have made arrangements with the State of Vermont to have exclusive use of Lake Carmi State Park from Monday July 17th until Thursday 19th for folks who would like to arrive early and sample the Gaps, twisties and incredible GS opportunites that exist all over the state. While this is no host camping there will be printed maps, route sheets and suggested rides available at the Ranger Station. You can make reservations for the weekend prior or at other parks directly with the state . If you reserve a site at Carmi you will not have to move when the exclusive use starts.

We will be posting information on the rally as it becomes available; articles and information will start to appear in the BMW Owners News in January.

The MOA Rally can't take place without the efforts of a large team of dedicated volunteers. If you are interested in helping out please send a note to volunteer.06rally@bmwmoa.org. To contact the rally chairs send mail to rally@bmwmoa.org.

We look forward to seeing you in Vermont.

Best,

Josh Ascher
Michael Friedle
Rob Nye
Rally Co-Chairs

Do those going to Carmi after Monday need any reservations or prepay? Or do we just show up whenever?

After Monday Carmi will be first come, first served. The State of Vermont will not accept reservations from Monday to Wednesday night with "check out" being Thursday morning.

Lake Carmi

There is room at Lake Carmi for approximately 700-800 campers in beautiful level wooded sites, many of them "lakefront property". It will be a wonderful place to stay if you plan to arrive in the area prior to the official opening of the Rally. No pre registration necesary at Lake Carmi, the Park staff will collect a minimal fee from you upon arrival. More details will be published in the ON and on the web pages in the coming months.

Friedle
VERMONT, It's Not Flat

Thanks Mike and Rob. It's gonna be a long winter! Thinking about this rally and those new BMW models.

Small Conflict

Hi, I just joined the BMW MOA about two hours ago and was really excited about attending the 2006 International Rally in Vermont....until I saw the dates. I don't know how many members are race fans, but the 2006 MotoGP races will be held at Laguna Seca the same weekend. My K1200RS and I will be at the track cheering for Nicky H to repeat. Hopefully, I can make the Rally in 2007

Hello Woodland142,

Welcome to the BMW MOA family.

You will find there are MOA events going on every weekend of the year somewhere on the North American continent. With 38,000 (plus 1 more) members scheduling hundreds of events there will always be conflicts. Summer weekends are extremely busy in terms of scheduled events.

At least we managed to schedule the conflict between the MotoGP and the MOA National to be 3,000 miles apart.

You can TIVO the MotoGP.

Come to Vermont, It's Not Flat. :bolt

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
BMW MOA Board of Directors
BMW MOA International Rally Co-Chair 99, 03, 06

woodland142 said:
Hi, I just joined the BMW MOA about two hours ago and was really excited about attending the 2006 International Rally in Vermont....until I saw the dates. I don't know how many members are race fans, but the 2006 MotoGP races will be held at Laguna Seca the same weekend. My K1200RS and I will be at the track cheering for Nicky H to repeat. Hopefully, I can make the Rally in 2007

Events every weekend? You bet! Get on your K1200RS and come here the weekend before the Moto GP races. Beware! BMW rallies are addicting.... :brad

Camping during the National Rally

Is camping during the rally also going to be at Lake Carmi State Park? And do we make seperate reservations at the Park or does it come with registration? Can you tell I'm new to the Rally?

rturner said:
Is camping during the rally also going to be at Lake Carmi State Park? And do we make seperate reservations at the Park or does it come with registration? Can you tell I'm new to the Rally?

Hey now,

From Thursday to Sunday morning you are encouraged and welcome to camp at the rally site.

The idea behind Carmi is to provide a place for people who would like to come to the area before Wednesday a place to camp with like-minded riders.

Best,

Last edited:
Ferry service

Hello All: I posted this on another thread, but think it is more appropriate here. Anyone heading to the National Rally in VT should consider taking one of the great car ferry rides across Lake Champlain. The Port Kent, NY to Burlington ferry takes about an hour. Follow the link for schedule (about every few hours). It drops you off in downtown Burlington!

http://www.ferries.com/

Petey "Pedro" Casper (Upstate NY).

Attachments

• photo_central_cross.jpg
    photo_central_cross.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 911
Ferry crossings

There are at least three different ferry crossings of Lake Champlain that I know of on the way to the 06 Rally.

All provide a nice break from the ride, are fairly inexpensive and beat trying to ford the lake with your bike. There will be details in upcoming issues of the ON and on the web as July 06 approaches.

Michael Friedle

What about the Lake Champlain monster? :) can you swim there?

Michael Friedle said:
There are at least three different ferry crossings of Lake Champlain that I know of on the way to the 06 Rally.

All provide a nice break from the ride, are fairly inexpensive and beat trying to ford the lake with your bike. There will be details in upcoming issues of the ON and on the web as July 06 approaches.

Michael Friedle

A little further south there is a bridge. You're rewarded with a historical park on both ends plus Ticoderoga is a short ride away. Oops, almost forgot a great diner on the VT side plus a great country road that goes thru Middlebury up to the App. Gap Rd. It's one of my fav places in N.E.

NY & VT Roads

MarkF said:
A little further south there is a bridge. You're rewarded with a historical park on both ends plus Ticoderoga is a short ride away. Oops, almost forgot a great diner on the VT side plus a great country road that goes thru Middlebury up to the App. Gap Rd. It's one of my fav places in N.E.

The bridge between Crown Point, NY and Chimney Point, VT was built in 1929. As you arrive from NY you can stay left on VT Rte 17 and enjoy a fantastic ride over the Appalachian Gap and down to VT Rte 100 in Waitsfield. Or you can bear right and take a wonderful ride on VT Rte 125 through Middlebury and over the Middlebury Gap to VT Rte 100 about 10 miles south of where Rte 17 ends. Either ride is well worth the time and both dump you onto VT Rte 100. If anyone wants information or to stop, rest and have something cold to drink, my house is on VT Rte 125 about 2 miles from the bridge. There are significant historic sites on both sides of the bridge. Bring your camera and some spare time to enjoy. I hope to attend the rally - it will be my first ;)

Excellent. I should be moving out to the east coast for three or four months starting in May. This should work out just fine for me. :clap
Thanks for considering my moving schedule when planning the site. ;)
After the fungal west coast mini-rally, I can't wait for the real thing.

Honu said:
Excellent. I should be moving out to the east coast for three or four months starting in May. This should work out just fine for me. :clap
Thanks for considering my moving schedule when planning the site. ;)
After the fungal west coast mini-rally, I can't wait for the real thing.

Stop by on your way. I think I can come up with dinner and a campfire when you make the move.

New Friends

MarkF said:
You are my new best friend.
Hopefully I will be home and able to host a BMW gathering of some form. There are some really excellent roads in both VT and NY very close to where I live. I was planning to volunteer at the rally but my business travel schedule prevents me from making the committment. We have plenty of room for anyone wishing to camp in our yard or in the woods near the lake. We are 1 hour from the fairgrounds in Essex Junction.

Back