• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Marble Falls, Texas - November 18-20, 2016

Anyone have any luck finding a camping grounds that doesn't require you to have a less than 10-year old 5th wheel or Winnebago? Looking at the LCRA's "Camp Creek" as the basecamp for a couple of nights. Hidden Falls Adventure Park is just up the road, but to stay a night in a tent will cost 2xdays of riding fees plus the cost to camp = $70! Even after 2+ years of ADV riding, I continue to look for opportunities to hone my packing list and arrangement every outing I take and am just to darn cheap to stay in a hotel!:wave

Don't forget, if you plan to attend the activities Friday and Saturday nights you'll be dodging deer on the way back to your camp site.
I always avoid riding the Hill Country at night.

Don't forget, if you plan to attend the activities Friday and Saturday nights you'll be dodging deer on the way back to your camp site.
I always avoid riding the Hill Country at night.

Live about half hour down the road from MF.

No public camping in city limits, closest State Park is Inks Lake about twenty minutes away to the west...but on a twisty two lane in a very high deer concentrated area...which this year seems to be a record seeing all the morning after hits.

Lowest closest hotel is Hill Country Hotel, nothing fancy, but see many traveling m'cycles and its close to event.

As Lee mentions, risky to run around here after dark...especially this time of year.It gets rural and real quickly out here.

Well, if the responses from people coming back in from their ride on Saturday evening was any indication the event went very well. We filled our venue to capacity and everyone I spoke with had a good time. Lots of folks walked away with some goodies and I think everyone managed to make some new friends.
Rumor is we can expect to see the getaway back in Texas next year.

Thanks to you Paul for hosting this first time event. I wish that I could have made it myself but like Chuck, I heard from some of the attendees that it went very well...Thanks again..maybe I can make next year!

Even though Marble Falls and the Northern Hill Country is like our back yard, the Dallas/Ft Worth BMW riders club (BMWDFW - www.bmwdfw.org ) we still wanted the adventure of the MOA Getaway and had almost 20 people attend the Getaway. Even had a couple of folks sign-up and join our club when they saw h0w much fun we were having!

We had a great time. Saturday am we headed over to visit the Austin BMW dealership. Ah, till we took a break about halfway there. Such a beautiful day we abandoned the dealership plans a kept riding. Got Lime Creek Rd, the Willow City Loop and the park road around Inks Lake strung together as we wandered across 1431 thru Cedar Park and then Southward thru Bee Cave. We crossed the Pedernales River a couple of times as we shot Southwest to Johnson City for lunch. After lunch we scooted the upper reaches of Lake LBJ and Inks lake before heading back to the hotel. We had a visit to the Lake Buchanan dam on the list, but we turned toward the hotel instead when we decided we would partake in some adult beverages at the Chili's next door to the hotel before the Getaway dinner.

The dinner and door prize event was pretty fun as well as the slideshow preview of the upcoming BMW motorcycle models. (and more adult beverages of course - Hey! We were at the hotel, no driving/riding!)

Not to start an "Oil Thread" but I have some GPS concerns to spout out. I am WAAAAY too used to my GPS. I used to know the Texas Hill Country, Arkansas, Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado like the proverbial back-of-my-hand, and now I don't. I rely on my GPS to save me now days and it shouldn't be that way. For the second time in a couple of seasons, my GPS has had a small problem. This time I pushed a wrong button at our Potty-Stop break and dumped my planned route. It took me forever to get out of Austin thru Bee Cave and back to the roads I recognized and on to our scheduled lunch. I had forgotten my way around Western Austin! Geez... I need to get back on the living room floor and study my paper maps again (used to do that just for fun). Or maybe dig thru the attic and find one of my old roll charts and leave the GPS at home!

Ride 'Em - Don't Hide 'Em

Hasta,
Yeeha Stephen

Last edited:
Back