Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MOA Getaway - Marble Falls, Texas - November 18-20, 2016

Great riding!

I can see where all this is leading. The Blue Bonnet is famous for their pies and always wins out in the restaurant contest in Ride Texas magazine.
    The Three Sisters deserve a complete weekend based in Leakey. Do all three roads in both directions. Go during the week so you don't have to deal with the Harleys and Wings blocking the roads. I won't mention any other great roads because once the secret is out, everyone and their brother will be out there creating a mess like the Tail of The Dragon has become!
    Boxerbruce

Itinerary

Got a note with the M Falls itinerary but it won't open.
    Somebody show one here?

SS
    Yeeha! Stephen
    R1200RS, R1200RT, R1200R, (R1150RT = Donated To Charity)
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

Marble Falls Getaway info

It's the itenerary and a letter, both below.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
    BMW MOA WEEKEND GETAWAY
    HAMPTON INN ON THE LAKE, MARBLE FALLS, TEXAS
    NOVEMBER 18-20, 2016

Friday, November 18

12 PM – 5:45 PM Registration in the River Bend Conference Center (the blue roofed building across the parking lot from the inn)

6 PM – 10 PM Welcome reception in the Riverbend Conference Center
    Meet and greet, fajita bar, cash bar, ride maps and local information

Saturday, November 19

Breakfast in the hotel breakfast area or any of several fine local restaurants

8 AM – 10 AM Late registration in the River Bend Conference Center

Sunrise – 5 PM Ride and explore the Texas highland lakes region. Remember to be back in time for dinner!

6 PM – 7 PM “Ride Tales” Reception the River Bend Conference Center. Cash bar available.

7 PM – 8 PM Dinner buffet. Steak dinner with all the trimmings.

8 PM – 10 PM Ride reports, Door prize drawings, socials time, and general frivolity

Sunday, November 20

Breakfast in the hotel breakfast area or any of several fine local restaurants

7 AM – 11 AM Depart for home

Ride safe and thank you for supporting your BMW MOA

BMW MOA
    Weekend Getaway
    Hampton Inn on the Lake, Marble Falls, Texas

Well in less than a month we will be gathering in the highland lakes area of central Texas for some good riding, good food and good friends (not necessarily in that order).

We want to take this opportunity to welcome you to our part of Texas. The riding is great in this area and we know you’ll leave wanting more. But before we get started we need to make sure everyone understands some basic facts about this event.

This is a hotel rally. All the events (socials, dinners, drawings, etc.) will take place in the Riverbend Conference Center across the parking lot from the Hampton Inn on the Lake in downtown Marble Falls. You must be preregistered for the event in order to gain access to the center where the rally events and food will take place. Limited seating precludes any walkup registration.

Hopefully you already have hotel reservations either with the host facility or one of the other accommodations in town. There is no tent camping available at or near the host hotel or in Marble Falls. The closest available camping is about 20 miles away. Please be aware that this part of the hill country region has an over abundant supply of deer and they are quite active just before and after dark so we strongly discourage riding during that period.

This is Texas and we love our BBQ and grilled meats. If your diet precludes the consumption of meat please contact me at pmulhern@swbell.net and we will make every effort to accommodate you.

We look forward to meeting everyone. Have a safe trip to Marble Falls. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Paul Mulhern (pmulhern@swbell.net)
    Bill Edwards (edwardsw@gvtc.com)
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    The biggest mistake people make... is thinking they have time.

Many Thanks...
    SS
    Yeeha! Stephen
    "Why eat a Burger when you can have Pie?!" Miss Vicki @ Lost Maples Cafe - Utopia Texas

Question Anyone Camping @ Marble Falls Getaway?

Anyone have any luck finding a camping grounds that doesn't require you to have a less than 10-year old 5th wheel or Winnebago? Looking at the LCRA's "Camp Creek" as the basecamp for a couple of nights. Hidden Falls Adventure Park is just up the road, but to stay a night in a tent will cost 2xdays of riding fees plus the cost to camp = $70! Even after 2+ years of ADV riding, I continue to look for opportunities to hone my packing list and arrangement every outing I take and am just to darn cheap to stay in a hotel!

Quote Originally Posted by Blaubeemr View Post
    Anyone have any luck finding a camping grounds that doesn't require you to have a less than 10-year old 5th wheel or Winnebago? Looking at the LCRA's "Camp Creek" as the basecamp for a couple of nights. Hidden Falls Adventure Park is just up the road, but to stay a night in a tent will cost 2xdays of riding fees plus the cost to camp = $70! Even after 2+ years of ADV riding, I continue to look for opportunities to hone my packing list and arrangement every outing I take and am just to darn cheap to stay in a hotel!
    Don't forget, if you plan to attend the activities Friday and Saturday nights you'll be dodging deer on the way back to your camp site.
    I always avoid riding the Hill Country at night.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Don't forget, if you plan to attend the activities Friday and Saturday nights you'll be dodging deer on the way back to your camp site.
    I always avoid riding the Hill Country at night.

Live about half hour down the road from MF.

No public camping in city limits, closest State Park is Inks Lake about twenty minutes away to the west...but on a twisty two lane in a very high deer concentrated area...which this year seems to be a record seeing all the morning after hits.

Lowest closest hotel is Hill Country Hotel, nothing fancy, but see many traveling m'cycles and its close to event.

As Lee mentions, risky to run around here after dark...especially this time of year.It gets rural and real quickly out here.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Well?

Let's hear about the weekend
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Let's hear about the weekend
    I also would like to hear how the event went.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Bueller....Bueller ?
    Steve Henson

Well, if the responses from people coming back in from their ride on Saturday evening was any indication the event went very well. We filled our venue to capacity and everyone I spoke with had a good time. Lots of folks walked away with some goodies and I think everyone managed to make some new friends.
    Rumor is we can expect to see the getaway back in Texas next year.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    The biggest mistake people make... is thinking they have time.

Paul, THANKS for hosting this event!!! Several close buddies were there and their recap was A++++!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw)

Thanks to you Paul for hosting this first time event. I wish that I could have made it myself but like Chuck, I heard from some of the attendees that it went very well...Thanks again..maybe I can make next year!
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / Yamaha WR250R "Slim"

Even though Marble Falls and the Northern Hill Country is like our back yard, the Dallas/Ft Worth BMW riders club (BMWDFW - www.bmwdfw.org ) we still wanted the adventure of the MOA Getaway and had almost 20 people attend the Getaway. Even had a couple of folks sign-up and join our club when they saw h0w much fun we were having!

We had a great time. Saturday am we headed over to visit the Austin BMW dealership. Ah, till we took a break about halfway there. Such a beautiful day we abandoned the dealership plans a kept riding. Got Lime Creek Rd, the Willow City Loop and the park road around Inks Lake strung together as we wandered across 1431 thru Cedar Park and then Southward thru Bee Cave. We crossed the Pedernales River a couple of times as we shot Southwest to Johnson City for lunch. After lunch we scooted the upper reaches of Lake LBJ and Inks lake before heading back to the hotel. We had a visit to the Lake Buchanan dam on the list, but we turned toward the hotel instead when we decided we would partake in some adult beverages at the Chili's next door to the hotel before the Getaway dinner.

The dinner and door prize event was pretty fun as well as the slideshow preview of the upcoming BMW motorcycle models. (and more adult beverages of course - Hey! We were at the hotel, no driving/riding!)

Not to start an "Oil Thread" but I have some GPS concerns to spout out. I am WAAAAY too used to my GPS. I used to know the Texas Hill Country, Arkansas, Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado like the proverbial back-of-my-hand, and now I don't. I rely on my GPS to save me now days and it shouldn't be that way. For the second time in a couple of seasons, my GPS has had a small problem. This time I pushed a wrong button at our Potty-Stop break and dumped my planned route. It took me forever to get out of Austin thru Bee Cave and back to the roads I recognized and on to our scheduled lunch. I had forgotten my way around Western Austin! Geez... I need to get back on the living room floor and study my paper maps again (used to do that just for fun). Or maybe dig thru the attic and find one of my old roll charts and leave the GPS at home!

Ride 'Em - Don't Hide 'Em

Hasta,
    Yeeha Stephen
    Last edited by YeehaStephen; 12-09-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    Yeeha! Stephen

Thanks for the report Stephen.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878