• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

Travman, I'm only speculating, but I suspect that as the MOA places more and more events on the calander during the limited riding season it is impossible to deconflict with other non affiliated riding events. I've seen what goes into planning these events, regarding logistics, reservations and contracts, especially for high demand venues like hotels, usually six months to a year out. Tee shirts, publications, and the like all take time to put together. For the rally goer/rider it's a boon. For the entities that expend resources to host events or make money on events I could see where it would become like competition.

I have a general question on why was the Fontana MOA Getaway was established on this particular weekend. For several years before the Getaways were established, the BMWLT group has held the Spring Training Camp the week before, and the GA Mountain Rally has been the week after for decades.

So was this Getaway placed on this particular weekend to pull attendees away from those events, or did the powers that be think that people would take off a couple of weeks and attend at least two of these events. It seems that the BMW community would have been better served if this event was later in the summer. I'm just curious, because as a casual observer, the placement of this event on this particular weekend, just seems a bit stupid.

NO. the MOA doesn't try to pull people away from any other event or organization.

The riding season has only so many weekends. I think it is really as simple as that.

MOA members have supported Weekend Getaways and this year there are more than ever. I'm happy to see MOA supporting small scale events.

I'm going to both Fontana and Colorado Springs weekends. Should be a great way to meet new people, see old friends and enjoy our common bond: riding motorcycles.

In the process of introducing the salesperson at Fontana to the MOA event committee, for the purpose of arranging a weekend getaway, I didn't expect the MOA to schedule this event the weekend before the Georgia Mountain Rally, which has been held in the same town, on the same weekend, less than 50 miles away from Fontana, for 26 years.

The Georgia Mountain Rally has camping for tent campers, RV spots for RVers and a hotel immediately adjoining the rally... as well as a number of other hotels, motels and B&Bs within 10 minutes of our chartered club's rally.

I believe our charter number is #23, which means we've been around for a while. Like 41 years.

Not that I speak for the Georgia club, but we can't compete with the MOA. Further, we would like to feel like we are a part of the MOA instead of some separate entity. I think the Georgia club would very much appreciate the MOA scheduling another date for its event instead of the weekend before ours.

Ian

I'd rather attend the event in Fontana than go to the GA Mtn Rally.
Does the GA club have an exclusive on the month of April? This is one of the many reasons I have not joined your club.

Does the GA club have an exclusive on the month of April? This is one of the many reasons I have not joined your club.

First, it's not my club. It's a club that belongs to hundreds of members, almost 100% of which are also members of the BMW MOA.

And next, no, our club doesn't own the weekend, however, for 26 years the Georgia Mountain Rally has always been "the first weekend in May." And for 12 years before that, the event was hosted on the same weekend by our local dealer, Ralph Wagoner.

Maybe you don't you think that it's a common courtesy to avoid scheduling an event in the same area on essentially the same dates that an all-volunteer chartered club has worked for 26 years to establish. Maybe you're not aware that this reflects the heritage and the tradition of our national organization, which was created over 40 years ago by a coming together of many local clubs.

It's a free country, you can belong to anything you want to... and go to any event you want to... or not.

However, your comment calls into question the reason why a national organization first charters a supporting club and then competes against it.

Are the chartered clubs something the MOA is trying to foster or to kill?

Ian

Cal,

I've attended the GA Mtn Rally and it is a first rate event. The GA club members are some of the most welcoming folks you will find and they make everyone feel at home at one of the premier MOA Club rallys in the country. Great food, very nice door prizes, a fantastic site and excellent riding continue to draw riders back year after year. :thumb

Hopefully you would be able to attend both.:wave

NO. the MOA doesn't try to pull people away from any other event or organization.

The riding season has only so many weekends. I think it is really as simple as that.

Not exactly true, especially with the Fontana event. This was one of the first Getaways with another one in the late Fall. So essentially the calendar was wide open to schedule the Fontana Getaway in any given month on any given weekend (obviously other than the MOA Rally). That means the date selection by the MOA was purposeful to draw attendees that like to ride this area at that time of year and as an alternative to the 2 existing events on the weekends before and after. The MOA established a competitive event against other BMW related events. I'm just asking why.

Anyone involved in the decision care to respond?

Again travman/Visian; I obviously wasn't involved in the decision to book this date, but I have booked hotels before, and in doing so I often find out the date available are not what I need. To maintain the primo venue, the Fontana resort, I assume Fontana resort has a say in what times are available for 100 rooms (I believe it was 100 rooms. So if the events committee was set on this venue the exact date may have been determined or negotiated by or with the hotel. I imagine if you called the resort and asked to reserve 100 rooms for a specific two days on the calander (pick any two between 6 and 12 months out and see if they give you what you want. You may have to move weekends left or right, or not have the amount of rooms available you need. Again, only a theory based on my personal experience making reservations for one room in an average hotel. MOA has nothing to gain by poaching its charter clubs and everything to loose. Conspiracy theories exist behind every corner, actual conspiracies don't. I feel confident however, that effort will be made in the future to push the date. I'm thinking January in the mountains would be primo.

Not exactly true, especially with the Fontana event. This was one of the first Getaways with another one in the late Fall. So essentially the calendar was wide open to schedule the Fontana Getaway in any given month on any given weekend (obviously other than the MOA Rally). That means the date selection by the MOA was purposeful to draw attendees that like to ride this area at that time of year and as an alternative to the 2 existing events on the weekends before and after. The MOA established a competitive event against other BMW related events. I'm just asking why.

Anyone involved in the decision care to respond?

Assuming that the venue would be able to accommodate the event on another weekend.

I don't know. :dunno

Perhaps the black copters are taking off now?

I can not imagine the BOD purposely or intentionally trying to harm the GA club. Maybe I'm wrong? :dunno

If you want an answer from the BOD, you know how to email them all and get one.

Again travman/Visian; I obviously wasn't involved in the decision to book this date, but I have booked hotels before, and in doing so I often find out the date available are not what I need. To maintain the primo venue, the Fontana resort, I assume Fontana resort has a say in what times are available for 100 rooms (I believe it was 100 rooms. So if the events committee was set on this venue the exact date may have been determined or negotiated by or with the hotel. I imagine if you called the resort and asked to reserve 100 rooms for a specific two days on the calander (pick any two between 6 and 12 months out and see if they give you what you want. You may have to move weekends left or right, or not have the amount of rooms available you need. Again, only a theory based on my personal experience making reservations for one room in an average hotel. MOA has nothing to gain by poaching its charter clubs and everything to loose. Conspiracy theories exist behind every corner, actual conspiracies don't. I feel confident however, that effort will be made in the future to push the date. I'm thinking January in the mountains would be primo.

Well, I can assure you that dates won't available be in the fall after the leaves turn color. But I'm betting there's a weekend in September that's available. Or June. August isn't bad, either (there's elevation here, so it's not too hot).

When I squawked about this a few years ago, I was told this was the only date that was available.

But I am not claiming *any* conspiracy theory, only that the decision was reached to do the event the weekend before our club's annual rally, which to me says that chartered clubs are not a priority. And personally, I think chartered clubs are the path to success for the MOA.

So that's my frustration. Our rally attendance went down by almost the same amount that attend this event. I'd like to see us try harder to de-conflict the dates.

I am betting we can do this event on a different weekend, and that if the Georgia, Alabama, Chattanooga, Asheville and Nashville clubs were invited to participate... along with the local dealers... that the clubs would provide the labor and many attendees, making this event very successful and keeping everyone happy.

And to be sure, it's not like I've tried to harpoon the event as it is today. I volunteered a good 100 hours to create rides, GPS routes, maps... and several weekends leading dual sport rides at past events.

Trying to be a good citizen here, but you know, that's a two-way street. :nod

Ian

Last edited:
Well, I can assure you that dates won't available be in the fall after the leaves turn color. But I'm betting there's a weekend in September that's available. Or June. August isn't bad, either (there's elevation here, so it's not too hot).

When I squawked about this a few years ago, I was told this was the only date that was available.

But I am not claiming *any* conspiracy theory, only that the decision was reached to do the event the weekend before our club's annual rally, which to me says that chartered clubs are not a priority. And personally, I think chartered clubs are the path to success for the MOA.

So that's my frustration. Our rally attendance went down by almost the same amount that attend this event. I'd like to see us try harder to de-conflict the dates.

I am betting we can do this event on a different weekend, and that if the Georgia, Alabama, Chattanooga, Asheville and Nashville clubs were invited to participate... along with the local dealers... that the clubs would provide the labor and many attendees, making this event very successful and keeping everyone happy.

And to be sure, it's not like I've tried to harpoon the event as it is today. I volunteered a good 100 hours to create rides, GPS routes, maps... and several weekends leading dual sport rides at past events.

Trying to be a good citizen here, but you know, that's a two-way street. :nod

Ian

Your frustration is easy to understand. The MOA weekend getaways are something that have only evolved since I became a member, which has only been 4 years or so. Scheduling that getaway the weekend before the Ga. chapter's annual rally which has been ongoing for all those years, does seem to be shortsighted at the very least. How could it not pull attendance down from the Ga. rally.

As to the point about local clubs not being a concern of MOA national, I think I would have to agree. I was surprised when I joined the MOA, that there was no connection between my national membership and the Ga. club. It seems like local chapters or clubs, if that is the correct terminology, support the MOA, BUT it isn't reciprocal.

I live in north Georgia , and I love the idea of a rally every weekend . I wish I could ride , but a total shoulder replacement will keep me off a motor cycle for a while . In the past GA.Mtn . Rally, European riders rally , and the great chicken rally were always on my list . Fontana is a good rally site , and plenty of great riding in the area ,although I will not ride the tail of the tourist on weekends .

Looks like I will be trailering both of my bikes to Fontana.

With any luck, someone will buy one and I will only have to take one home.:thumb

I live in north Georgia , and I love the idea of a rally every weekend . I wish I could ride , but a total shoulder replacement will keep me off a motor cycle for a while . In the past GA.Mtn . Rally, European riders rally , and the great chicken rally were always on my list . Fontana is a good rally site , and plenty of great riding in the area ,although I will not ride the tail of the tourist on weekends .

I feel the same. Not worth putting up with the weekend craziness when there are so many roads in close proximity that are the equal to or better than the dragon.

...after a quick read of this thread; I'm of the opinion that Visian's position gets my support. Will see a many of you at the Charter Club's GMR.

"travel'n" John

Speaking of local attractions etc...

Hey just a word to anyone not familiar with the area... Maggie Valley, NC, a ways off from the Fontana Lodge area has the fabulous Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum. If you're coming or going from the north/north east, check it out.
There are more than one roads with "names" down there in the NC/VA/TN corner of the southeast. my favorite is Shady Valley, TN's The Snake. Then again, just about every road down that way has nearly as many curves.
Of course the Blue Ridge Parkway isn't too far away, with the High Point of the entire parkway not too far from Asheville. Little Switzerland up there has a nice hotel that's worth a visit. If the weather is nice you might want to sit on their veranda and have some coffee or whatever. Since Western NC is quite mountainous -with something like 80 peaks over 5-6 thousand feet- weather can be "changeable" this time of year. Plan for every possible contingency, weather wise.

Hey just a word to anyone not familiar with the area... Maggie Valley, NC, a ways off from the Fontana Lodge area has the fabulous Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum. If you're coming or going from the north/north east, check it out.
There are more than one roads with "names" down there in the NC/VA/TN corner of the southeast. my favorite is Shady Valley, TN's The Snake. Then again, just about every road down that way has nearly as many curves.
Of course the Blue Ridge Parkway isn't too far away, with the High Point of the entire parkway not too far from Asheville. Little Switzerland up there has a nice hotel that's worth a visit. If the weather is nice you might want to sit on their veranda and have some coffee or whatever. Since Western NC is quite mountainous -with something like 80 peaks over 5-6 thousand feet- weather can be "changeable" this time of year. Plan for every possible contingency, weather wise.

Just a little back story. The owner of Wheels Thru Time, Dale, used to own Dale's HD, in Mt. Vernon, IL. When he sold the dealership he asked the State/Local governments for some assistance in setting up the museum. The scoffed.

If you haven't been, you need to go. A fantastic slice of motorcycle history. Highly recommend it. And the little road off off the Blue Ridge Parkway that drops down into Maggie Valley is a hoot as well.

Good Recommendations all.

Back