Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

Quote Originally Posted by jcdas View Post
    We're booked.
    Hope your Southern Hospitality will extend to a pair of Canadians
    We hope to arrive on Wednesday. We'll be trailering our RT down. It's likely to be too cold to ride down from the great white north.
    We booked a room at the resort. There may be one room left from what I heard.
    We haven't been in the area since 1983, so we're looking forwards to riding some great roads in the area.

John & Jennie.
    All Canadians are welcome!

I've never met one that wasn't friendly. We trailer a sailboat to the North Channel each year and enjoy visiting your country.

In addition, I rode to Nova Scotia a couple of years ago with Paul Ruffell who is from London, ON. Great trip in a fantastic area.

Hope to get the pleasure of meeting you at the event.
    Ride Well

Anyone have any good GPS files to share for this route? I mean, I don't mind getting lost and finding my way back, but does anyone have a favorite or "secret" or "only the locals know this" route to share?
    2009 R1200RT, MSF Coach

Quote Originally Posted by mcreech View Post
    Anyone have any good GPS files to share for this route? I mean, I don't mind getting lost and finding my way back, but does anyone have a favorite or "secret" or "only the locals know this" route to share?
    I'm building my route this week on base camp. Getting there from lower Alabama Monday the 18th. Once I'm there I'll reference my butler Appalachia special, start on the G1 routes in the area and work my way to G3. I plan on painting my NAV V cyan in that area that week. If you want to start planning rotes in that area I would consider buying that butler map.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

+1 on the Butler Map for that area. To help get you focused on the area, here is a link to a PDF with a lot of the great roads outlined on it: http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/great-roads/

It's good for an overview and then get the particulars and do your planning on the Butler maps. In my case, I'm going to be in Hendersonville, NC with some of my wife's family. I figure I'll take US64 over to the "Moonshiner 28" and then figure out how to get to Fontana, which won't be hard.

Also, I believe Butler Maps gives a discount for BMW MOA members. Use the coupon code BMWMOA on your order for a 15% discount.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Download the REVER app on your phone.

At the rever web page located at: https://a.rever.co You can plan the ride at their website, then transfer the planned ride to your phone. The REVER APP uses the Butler maps. It works very good.
    2016 BMW R1200GSA

Thanks Helipilot - I think the problem with any phone-dependent program is gaps in cellular service. I have been in a lot of places in the US where Waze & GoogleMaps could not supply a position. Perhaps the cellphone service in the areas near and around Fontana is five bars, but a map is always gives a great perspective.

See you in Fontana!

JG
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

No problem!!!

You can still checkout their website. They use the Butler maps with the recommended routes and plan from there.

I will see you there!
    2016 BMW R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by helipilot2 View Post
    No problem!!!

You can still checkout their website. They use the Butler maps with the recommended routes and plan from there.

I will see you there!
    It sounds like a good app for planning, transferring to GPS and back up on the ole iPhone. I'll check it out. Can never have enough navigation tools. If I knew how to use a sexton I'd probably have that in my tank bag too.
    MOA # 143779

Ambassador since 1984 macstudley's Avatar

Fontana Getaway - Room Available

I will be calling Fontana Resort tomorrow to cancel my lodge room reservation. Does anyone need a room?

Mac McEnheimer
    Mac McEnheimer
    facebook.com/mac.mcenheimer / 770-820-nine nine five four
    When approaching a corner stay on the gas until you see Jesus or Elvis, then brake HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by macstudley View Post
    I will be calling Fontana Resort tomorrow to cancel my lodge room reservation. Does anyone need a room?

Mac McEnheimer
    Awww mannnn Mac.... Noooooooo! Hope it's not serious.
    MOA # 143779

Fontana

It's nothing serious. I made the room reservation on Dec 22 but had to wait until now to register myself and a friend but I just saw that registration is closed. My friend Bob is 80 and I wasn't sure he would be able to go until yesterday. Bummer!!!

We were on our way to Pine Mountain State Park last September for the Getaway when my clutch cable broke. When I rode Bob's bike back to Atlanta the BMW dealer sold me the wrong cable and by the time I realized it was wrong it was too late to make it to Boxerworks before they closed. It looks like we'll be going back to Kentucky this September.
    Mac McEnheimer
    When approaching a corner stay on the gas until you see Jesus or Elvis, then brake HARD!

Mac... Your circumstance for cancelation is what I love about the MOA. In ranger battalion upon graduation from ranger school we were given the challenge, "To be a tab bearer not a tab wearer." You sir, are a bearer of that ambasador pennant."
    MOA # 143779

Fontana

Thank You.
    Mac McEnheimer

Quote Originally Posted by macstudley View Post
    Does anyone need a room?
    I need a room. I'll call tomorrow. I hope everything's okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Purple 1995 BMW K1100LT named Pōni with the license plate ICBMW

Fontana

Yes, everything is ok and I've already made a room reservation, registered for Pineville KY and talked 2 friends into joining me. I called Friday evening and had to forfeit the $85 deposit.
    Mac McEnheimer