• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

We're booked.
Hope your Southern Hospitality will extend to a pair of Canadians:)
We hope to arrive on Wednesday. We'll be trailering our RT down. It's likely to be too cold to ride down from the great white north.
We booked a room at the resort. There may be one room left from what I heard.
We haven't been in the area since 1983, so we're looking forwards to riding some great roads in the area.

John & Jennie.

All Canadians are welcome! :wave

I've never met one that wasn't friendly. We trailer a sailboat to the North Channel each year and enjoy visiting your country.

In addition, I rode to Nova Scotia a couple of years ago with Paul Ruffell who is from London, ON. Great trip in a fantastic area.

Hope to get the pleasure of meeting you at the event. :thumb

Anyone have any good GPS files to share for this route? I mean, I don't mind getting lost and finding my way back, but does anyone have a favorite or "secret" or "only the locals know this" route to share?

Anyone have any good GPS files to share for this route? I mean, I don't mind getting lost and finding my way back, but does anyone have a favorite or "secret" or "only the locals know this" route to share?

I'm building my route this week on base camp. Getting there from lower Alabama Monday the 18th. Once I'm there I'll reference my butler Appalachia special, start on the G1 routes in the area and work my way to G3. I plan on painting my NAV V cyan in that area that week. If you want to start planning rotes in that area I would consider buying that butler map.

+1 on the Butler Map for that area. To help get you focused on the area, here is a link to a PDF with a lot of the great roads outlined on it: http://tailofthedragonmaps.com/great-roads/

It's good for an overview and then get the particulars and do your planning on the Butler maps. In my case, I'm going to be in Hendersonville, NC with some of my wife's family. I figure I'll take US64 over to the "Moonshiner 28" and then figure out how to get to Fontana, which won't be hard.

Also, I believe Butler Maps gives a discount for BMW MOA members. Use the coupon code BMWMOA on your order for a 15% discount.

Download the REVER app on your phone.

At the rever web page located at: https://a.rever.co You can plan the ride at their website, then transfer the planned ride to your phone. The REVER APP uses the Butler maps. It works very good.

Thanks Helipilot - I think the problem with any phone-dependent program is gaps in cellular service. I have been in a lot of places in the US where Waze & GoogleMaps could not supply a position. Perhaps the cellphone service in the areas near and around Fontana is five bars, but a map is always gives a great perspective.

See you in Fontana!

JG

No problem!!!

You can still checkout their website. They use the Butler maps with the recommended routes and plan from there.

I will see you there!

No problem!!!

You can still checkout their website. They use the Butler maps with the recommended routes and plan from there.

I will see you there!

It sounds like a good app for planning, transferring to GPS and back up on the ole iPhone. I'll check it out. Can never have enough navigation tools. If I knew how to use a sexton I'd probably have that in my tank bag too.

Fontana Getaway - Room Available

I will be calling Fontana Resort tomorrow to cancel my lodge room reservation. Does anyone need a room?

Mac McEnheimer

Fontana

It's nothing serious. I made the room reservation on Dec 22 but had to wait until now to register myself and a friend but I just saw that registration is closed. My friend Bob is 80 and I wasn't sure he would be able to go until yesterday. Bummer!!!

We were on our way to Pine Mountain State Park last September for the Getaway when my clutch cable broke. When I rode Bob's bike back to Atlanta the BMW dealer sold me the wrong cable and by the time I realized it was wrong it was too late to make it to Boxerworks before they closed. It looks like we'll be going back to Kentucky this September.

Mac... Your circumstance for cancelation is what I love about the MOA. In ranger battalion upon graduation from ranger school we were given the challenge, "To be a tab bearer not a tab wearer." You sir, are a bearer of that ambasador pennant."

Fontana

Yes, everything is ok and I've already made a room reservation, registered for Pineville KY and talked 2 friends into joining me. I called Friday evening and had to forfeit the $85 deposit.

For those of us who are camping like myself, this is just a heads up. Rhonda saw a post on Facebook of a snake covered in ticks in North Carolina. So I'm bringing bug repelant, I recommend all campers do the same. Hotel crowd, I think your good. Bad tick seasons are often geographic. NC may be in one of those years. Maybe. Better to be safe than sorry.

Senior Selil,
I went to the gulf shores getaway a couple of years ago. I think you'll be comfortable and well fed. ATGATT is always fashionable at any BMW MOA get together.

So... first time going to ANY MOA event... We've got a cabin. So.. not camping.

Is there a restaurant on premises, nearby, bar, place to buy adult beverages, what is the dress code, how many people do lunch runs, what is nearby, is this a social event of some type? I usually ride a 1000 miles have a quick dinner turn around and ride back home. This whole get away weekend is completely foreign to my wife and I. I have visions of an ATGATT Sturgis or Daytona campground. Hi-Viz hijinks or something.

I went to the Gettysburg, PA Getaway in 2013. I had never attended a rally or getaway before and it was really great. Our central location was a hotel, and from there we traveled around the area on Saturday looking at stuff, seeing some great historical things, having lunch out, and then heading back to the hotel. It was a great experience.

As to dress code, when not on the bike, I recall t-shirt, hoodie, blue jeans (or maybe shorts) and that was it. Good fun dinner on Saturday night, some swag, maybe some prizes. Cash bar with good prices maybe contributed to my lack of memory of the details. Had a great time getting to know BOD member Muriel Farrington, met some members from PA. The experience inspired me to go to the St. Paul Rally in 2014, and is bringing me to Fontana & Hamburg this year.

To quote the John Travolta character in PULP FICTION: "You'll dig it the most!"

John Gamel

PS - North Carolina has a system of state-run ABC stores, so if you want to supplement whatever local supplies exist at the lodge, check on your way to the location on the web. I think the closest is in Bryson City, which is not close. It's 32 miles away, but across a very good motorcycle route, aka "Revenooer 28."

I think we will be issued a tshirt. My invoice shows I ordered a medium... So I'll be the guy walking around with his belly hanging out. I'll make it my mission to make everyone else look fashionable and trendy.

Event Date Selection

I have a general question on why was the Fontana MOA Getaway was established on this particular weekend. For several years before the Getaways were established, the BMWLT group has held the Spring Training Camp the week before, and the GA Mountain Rally has been the week after for decades.

So was this Getaway placed on this particular weekend to pull attendees away from those events, or did the powers that be think that people would take off a couple of weeks and attend at least two of these events. It seems that the BMW community would have been better served if this event was later in the summer. I'm just curious, because as a casual observer, the placement of this event on this particular weekend, just seems a bit stupid.

Back